• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kept back
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 2, 2002

Anybody watch Constantine?

If so, what did you think?
    Of all the souls I have encountered his was the most...human.
  • Grimjohn
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 28, 2011

I certainly did.

All-in-all I thought it was pretty good. I found it interesting that, especially for a pilot episode, they did not do any origin or background story and just went right into a middle-of-the-season type of story plot. For me, this was great as I am a long time Hellblazer/Constantine fan, I just hope this move did not alienate the viewers that are not as familiar with the character and the world(s) around him as I would like to see the show do well. I am looking forward to next week's episode.
    Last edited by Grimjohn; Oct 25, '14, 11:52 AM. Reason: Grammar fix
    My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• emeraldknight47
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 20, 2011

Watched it this morning.

I remember his introduction in SWAMP THING as a wisecracking, chain-smoking British demon fighter, but I never followed his regular series so I don't know much more about him beyond that.

Overall, the show was decent enough for a pilot. I imagined John to be a bit more cockney than the actor playing him, but at least he IS British in this outing. I think he needed to smoke more ('cause in the funny books, he smoked like a freakin' factory!), but I suppose that's just NBC being PC about it. Also think his coat needs to be a bit longer to give it a little more "character." I LOVED the Dr. Fate Easter egg; perhaps he will show up later (provided the series actually lasts; I have heard that The Spectre, or at least his human host, is supposed to show up).

Content wise, reminds me a lot of SUPERNATURAL with a bigger visual EFX budget. I could actually see a SUPERNATURAL/CONSTANTINE crossover in the future were they not on separate networks.

I, too, look forward to next week's installment.

MARVEL needs to get on the ball and give us another TV series based on one of their products besides AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. because, while they're winning the war on the motion picture front, they're starting to lose ground on the small screen. Granted, they have DAREDEVIL and THE DEFENDERS coming to Netflix, but they need to find a spot on ABC's schedule for something else comic-related...
      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Toy Timelord
        Banned
        • Aug 4, 2014

I have the uneasy feeling this is the one that will only last a season.

In a just world, Gotham would get the axe instead. But, just like with Firefly, this show will only be recognized for its brilliance after the fact.

Comment

• madmarva
          Talkative Member
          • Jul 7, 2007

Never have been much of a Constantine fan, but the pilot was fine. I'm interested in the possible promise of the Spectre and Dr. Fate. It would be cool to see Deadman, Zatanna, Etrigan, Ragman and Swamp Thing.

If I were the producer of the show, I'd use Constantine as a means to do story arcs or even origins of those other DC mystery or horror characters.

Constantine fans would probably hate that, but it's what I'd do because I like those characters better.
          Last edited by madmarva; Oct 25, '14, 3:21 PM.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by madmarva
            The smoking issue isn't an NBC thing. Smoking is not allowed on any of the major networks by law. Same with advertising for cigarettes.
            That being said, I kinda wish CONSTANTINE could've landed on either a quality cable channel (like AMC or FX) or on a premium channel just so John would have a chance to be as bad as we know he's supposed to be...
            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• madmarva
              Talkative Member
              • Jul 7, 2007

^ I agree. It's funny that the big 3 passed on more conventional super hero stuff and picked up the show that should be more nasty and dirty.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                Talkative Member
                • May 11, 2013

Well I have the leaked pilot and the aired pilot and I think the aired pilot turned out much better. I hated the fact that in the leaked pilot that John was seen as the sidekick. The new ending leads this to be a team-up style as Constantine travels the US stopping demons. The House of Aberdine will be full of easter eggs to keep checking into. I am glad to see that Zed will replace Liv.

In my own opinion:
                I think the first season will introduce all the characters to form the Justice League Dark, and if it gets a season 2 we could see the formation of JLD. I just hope we get to see Swamp Thing by the end of season 1. I do not expect to see the "Dark Universe" movie. It will be worked into the series.
                Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
                  Career Member
                  • May 14, 2007

I watched the first episode of Constantine and loved it. I followed his comic adventures in Swamp Thing and then picked up some issues of Hellblazer and lately Justice League Dark. I like how he summed up his origins with his mother dying in childbirth, his dad abusing him and calling him Killer, and how he turned to the occult to contact his dead mum. No flashbacks were needed and I still got chills just from what he said. I didn't catch all the Easter eggs in the episode but seeing the Helmet of Nabu was awesome.

I might be one of the few ones that did enjoy the movie but the tv series is already superior in many ways starting with the casting of Matt Ryan as John Constantine.
                  Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Loved it! I'm hooked....will be watching every week.
                    sigpic

Comment

• johnnystorm
                      Hot Child in the City
                      • Jul 3, 2008

Finally watched it last night, thought it was ok. The actor playing Condtantine was pretty good, very close to the comic book image for me.
                      Loved seeing Fate's helmet, and was that a sculpt of the a Swamp Thing's head in that case?
                      I'd like to see some more obscure DC magic guest stars like Prince RA-Man, Mark Merlin, or Sargon. Of course, Swampy is a must!
                      Last edited by johnnystorm; Oct 29, '14, 1:22 PM.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                        Talkative Member
                        • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by The Bat
                        Loved it! I'm hooked....will be watching every week.
                        Ditto!!!
                        Just watched the pvr'd episode and thought it was brilliant!
                        Count me in every week.
                        “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• monitor_ep
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 11, 2013

to view the artifacts in "The House of Aberdine" please go to my page:

http://comic-books-in-the-media.wiki...se_of_Aberdine

There is much to look at and I will be updating this with every new episode.
                          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• monitor_ep
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 11, 2013

This weeks episode was far better now that have Zed in the show. This has a year one feel for Constantine and that is fine by me. I just reread my files on Constantine in the DMZ Vertigo Who's Who book and noticed some easter eggs in episode 2. I do hope this show makes a season to give it a fair try.
                            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Grimjohn
                              Persistent Member
                              • Feb 28, 2011

Episode 2 was great and am looking forward to episode 3. Hopefully, NBC gives it a fair shot with a full season.
                              My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎