X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Frankenstein: The True Story

I watched this for the first time this weekend. I was expecting a faithful adaptation of Shelly's novel...and this isn't it. That being said, it's by no means bad. It comes across as Jane Austin's Frankenstein to me. Much more interested in the nuances of relationships than any previous Frankenstein I've seen. Not really sure why the creature would "revert" to a scabby cave man and not just a rotting corpse, but the evolving makeup by Roy Ashton was quite well done. Jane Seymour was quite fetching as Prima, the "Bride" character. James Mason's Polidori certainly seemed to borrow a bit from Universal's Dr. Pretorious.

The boy and I watched it and enjoyed it, although Mason being turned into a skeleton by a bolt of lightning was laugh-out-loud bad. The ending was a bit anti-climatic as well. But for $3 at Big Lots...why not?

Chris
    sigpic
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

Was this the one that aired as a two night movie on the tube in the 70s? I remember it being advertised when I was a kid, but have never watched it, but I should.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I bought it on the cheap too, and enjoyed it for what it is. You are spot-on about the ending *sigh.*
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Was this the one that aired as a two night movie on the tube in the 70s? I remember it being advertised when I was a kid, but have never watched it, but I should.
        Yeah, it's in two parts, and is from 1973, so I think it's the one you are thinking of.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

I believe I've seen that. Isn't that the film where a mate is also created for the monster and her head gets ripped off? I seem to recall some kind of made-for-TV movie that played to that graphic.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

It's not bad and it's a unique take that the creature starts out normal and then slowly begins to decay.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I believe I've seen that. Isn't that the film where a mate is also created for the monster and her head gets ripped off? I seem to recall some kind of made-for-TV movie that played to that graphic.
              Yep, that's it. That was a shocking scene, despite them really showing nothing gruesome at all. That was Jane Seymour's character, and she wore a choker around her neck at all times to conceal her scar. It played to that old story about the bride who wore a ribbon around her neck, and her husband pulled it off, only to have her head go with it!

It's not bad and it's a unique take that the creature starts out normal and then slowly begins to decay.
              Yeah, you really feel sorry for the creature. He's abandoned only because his looks begin to turn hideous.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                Yep, that's it. That was a shocking scene, despite them really showing nothing gruesome at all. That was Jane Seymour's character, and she wore a choker around her neck at all times to conceal her scar. It played to that old story about the bride who wore a ribbon around her neck, and her husband pulled it off, only to have her head go with it!
                Chris
                Thanks Chris. Yeah, I remember being pretty shocked when I first saw that. At that time it was pretty brutal even for suggestive violence. I'll have to check that out again since I haven't seen it since. It will be interesting to see how my new take will compare with how I remember it emotionally.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

I remember this too. Pretty good, although not very close to the book at all, and hardly the "true story". But still damn entertaining.
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎