X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

NECA classic APES series one...

Just got my set today and I can say without a doubt whatsoever that these are the best action figures I've ever seen by any company in any scale. They're that good. The sculpts are Hot Toys quality, the paint apps perfect, and the articulation plentiful and perfectly hidden by the sculpt.

There aren't a ton of accessories, but they're extremely well done and work great with the hands for posing.
    The paint apps, especially on Dr. Zaius are nothing short of amazing. The subtle washes, drybrushing, and airbrushed shading is incredibly realistic, and there is ZERO slop.

Hasbro should be embarrassed. These figures are what the 6" Black Series SHOULD have been.
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

I have the three they've released so far, and plan to buy all of them as they become available.. They're great...

Comment

• kerowack
      Career Member
      • Feb 27, 2008

These figures make me want to sell my Star Wars black. I had the same thoughts as you....the black series has slipped from the promise of what it was supposed to be. Only han and the taun taun are calling to me now.....

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Is it too late to jump into this line? Where's a good place to buy?
        Edit: ah, I see they're out there still.
        Last edited by Hedji; Oct 18, '14, 8:16 AM.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

^It's not too late Andy...Big Bad Toy Store still has series one, and they're actually slightly less than retail.

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by kerowack
            These figures make me want to sell my Star Wars black. I had the same thoughts as you....the black series has slipped from the promise of what it was supposed to be. Only han and the taun taun are calling to me now.....
            Yeah, I sold my Black Series one and two months ago. Just not impressed. The final figures only looked about half as good as the prototypes they showed. They just look and feel cheap. Big time let down.

Comment

• Confessional
              Maker & Whatnot
              • Aug 8, 2012

Neca's reputation in this scale has held true. It's a really great series that looks to have legs for some time to come.

The only re-occurring flaw is the Soldier's club ring… it looks like metal, but is plastic and easily breaks if not carefully unhooked. There's also been some lazy war paint app oddities in the Dawn line, but not prevalent.

These figures really make an impression when you have them on display in proximity to others, in my case they are currently near my SS and HT figs… their detail is indeed clearly evident. It's almost shocking how little detail the SS figs have in comparison. This is attributed to Neca's modeling techniques, sculpting at 200% in a variety of media to capture texture/detail, and then 3D scanned. It's as if they *concentrate* in goodness as they shrink 'em!

BTW, if you're unaware or uncertain you might be able to snag one in-store, the Gorilla two-pack is up for pre-order (early November) on Toysrus.com.

Comment

• jessica
                fortune favors the bold
                • Nov 5, 2007

Anybody upgrading/modifying theirs?

I only have Zaius at the moment. Here he is, before and after. Waiting for the hair to dry so I can paint it.
                Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• apes3978
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 19, 2005

Modifying them would be cool to do, but I'm just doing the boring thing and leaving them packaged up...

Originally posted by jessica
                  Anybody upgrading/modifying theirs?

I only have Zaius at the moment. Here he is, before and after. Waiting for the hair to dry so I can paint it.

Comment

• Wasimhosen
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 23, 2011

I picked these up and have series 2 on preorder at EE. If anyone is interested TRU has the gorilla 2 pack up for preorder to come out 11/11.

Comment

• kerowack
                      Career Member
                      • Feb 27, 2008

Grabbed zaius and corny tonight. Aside from diamonds creature from the black lagoon and son of frankenstein, these are my favorite figures of the year. Perfect and sturdy. They hold poses and they look great on a bookshelf. I've got the soldier ape coming with the target blu ray. Can't wait.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎