Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toys that there might only be one or a few left in existence...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nazgul
    Lord of Light
    • May 2, 2011

Toys that there might only be one or a few left in existence...

So I just obtained a few rarities for my collection and it got my thinking that these might be the only ones left in existence...so I was curious in any on they members have any items that could quite possibly be the only ones left in existence. I don't mean items like customs or rare because of a "high grade", but true production pieces...prototypes are ok too. Please also feel free to refute, in case someone else has the same items. I hope no one gets offended by this thread, I can understand if you wouldn't want to divulge your rarest treasures in a public forum...I was just curious if anyone felt the same as I....
    You will always be your child's favorite toy. ~Vicki Lansky
  • 4NDR01D
    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
    • Jan 22, 2008

At the time I purchased it the Japanese stretch monster was the first known to exist. A few more have popped up since then. Maybe 6-7-ish. Hard to tell how many might be in Japan or sold on Yahoo Japan and not eBay though.

Comment

• Falstaff13
      Persistent Member
      • May 28, 2008

I don't have either, but it's clear very few versions were ever produced of either Western Toy produced for the Empire Legends of the West line or Gabriel's mail-away for the Legends of the Lone Ranger (3 3/4") line. Both were cardboard sets and appear to be quite scarce--I've come across like three of the Empire one (none for sale) and one of the LR one (that went well past my price point on ebay almost immediately. That said, if anyone has either...just let me know!
      Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
      Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• LordMudd
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 22, 2011

Dr. Huer's Laboratory, Warren Paper Products, 1937. It is a 5 sided cardboard space station with cardboard standups of Buck, Wilma, Huer and others with a cardboard rubber band gun you shoot the figures with. Hake's Americana sold 1 MiB a few years ago for about $4,600.00, stating that there were only 5 or 6 in that condition in the world and only a few more known at all. I don't have one, it is the top item on my Grail list.

CCC.

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
          At the time I purchased it the Japanese stretch monster was the first known to exist. A few more have popped up since then. Maybe 6-7-ish. Hard to tell how many might be in Japan or sold on Yahoo Japan and not eBay though.
          Yeah that's tricky, I found that many scarce Japanese items that very rarely show up on ebay do show up on Yahoo Japan with a bit more frequency.

I don't have any one of a kind items, but probably have some where maybe 10-15, maybe less, are known to exist. Key word is "known" though, who can say for sure what's really out there.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

Not sure if this counts: an EMCE factory proof Mugato. The colors of his head are different shades, as are the "spots" on his tunic.
            Don't know if it's rare...
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

I have a mint FunStuf Rock Trap Thing. It's the companion piece to the Rage Cage Hulk, which is pretty easy to find.

I have no idea how many Things were produced but I've only seen the loose figure a handful of times and the complete set only twice including mine.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                Permanent Member
                • Sep 15, 2014

Green carded Pailtoy Captain America. One of these days pics will resurface. An important thing to remember about UK and Japanese toys is they were made in much lower quantity than america and the surviving pieces reflect that.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                  Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                  • Jan 22, 2008

Originally posted by cjefferys
                  Key word is "known" though, who can say for sure what's really out there.
                  Yeah, I recently saw an auction for a still shrink wrapped Ooze-it where the seller boldly put "one of only two known to exist". I recall seeing a shipping box full of 8 being sold a couple years ago.

Comment

• JWLJN
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 7, 2013

WWE Magazine had a picture of me holding a single carded LJN Dynamite Kid in their magazine a few years ago. I had told them I had only seen under five in my years of collecting. Most of the tag teams came boxed, then they released them separately. Dynamite Kid and Davey Boy Smith had such a short single carded run that they didn't even print backers for them, they just used Hulk Hogan's. Well, after having two fact checkers call me, they still quoted me wrong and said it was "1 of 5." Nonetheless, years later and I doubt I've seen ten. When they have shown up they're usually $1,500+.

-J\/\/
                    http://wrestlingmemorabilia.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/JWsWrestlingMemorabilia

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                      Permanent Member
                      • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by JWLJN
                      WWE Magazine had a picture of me holding a single carded LJN Dynamite Kid in their magazine a few
                      years ago. I had told them I had only seen under five in my years of collecting. Most of the tag teams came boxed, then they released them separately. Dynamite Kid and Davey Boy Smith had such a short single carded run that they didn't even print backers for them, they just used Hulk Hogan's. Well, after having two fact checkers call me, they still quoted me wrong and said it was "1 of 5." Nonetheless, years later and I doubt I've seen ten. When they have shown up they're usually $1,500+.

-J\/\/
                      The popy wrestlers are very scarce as well. An Andre sold recently for over $350.

Comment

• Fitski
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 19, 2013

Originally posted by JWLJN
                        WWE Magazine had a picture of me holding a single carded LJN Dynamite Kid in their magazine a few years ago. I had told them I had only seen under five in my years of collecting. Most of the tag teams came boxed, then they released them separately. Dynamite Kid and Davey Boy Smith had such a short single carded run that they didn't even print backers for them, they just used Hulk Hogan's. Well, after having two fact checkers call me, they still quoted me wrong and said it was "1 of 5." Nonetheless, years later and I doubt I've seen ten. When they have shown up they're usually $1,500+.

-J\/\/
                        I had one Christmas of 86 or 87! Never had Davey boy...They had piles of Dynamite kid at shoppers drug mart in my town that year. So there are only 5 carded left in exsistance?

Comment

• JWLJN
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 7, 2013

Originally posted by Fitski
                          I had one Christmas of 86 or 87! Never had Davey boy...They had piles of Dynamite kid at shoppers drug mart in my town that year. So there are only 5 carded left in exsistance?
                          I think there's a bit more than that, but at the time that's about all that I had seen. A few more have shown up since, but not many.

I bought mine from Bonnie Steamboat. They picked up a bunch of stuff during Ricky's days on the road and were selling it to pay for Richie's then-racing project (this was in 2004). $50 and she had Davey, too, so what do I do? Buy Dynamite and Elizabeth. Oh well. ;-)

Yep the Popy figs are scarce, but there seem to be a lot still in Japan.

-J\/\/
                          http://wrestlingmemorabilia.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/JWsWrestlingMemorabilia

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
                            Green carded Pailtoy Captain America. One of these days pics will resurface. An important thing to remember about UK and Japanese toys is they were made in much lower quantity than america and the surviving pieces reflect that.
                            A picture is sitting on my old Toshiba laptop.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• nazgul
                              Lord of Light
                              • May 2, 2011

This is one of the items I got recently and that got me to start this thread, not a toy per se but I've never seen one before....

It's the mask for a kids costume of The Shield from Super Joe. It's super fragile and I can't imagine that many survived, or for that matter, if it was actually ever released. I got it in a bit of a hidden auction...maybe someone here knows more about these, or knows if the Super Joe Halloween costumes were ever released?
                              Last edited by nazgul; Oct 20, '14, 10:16 PM.
                              You will always be your child's favorite toy. ~Vicki Lansky

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎