Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do when you get a new vintage figure?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpramuk
    Museum Patron
    • Nov 24, 2007

What do you do when you get a new vintage figure?

A package came today with yet another '70s action figure for my collection (an AHI PotA Orangutan in a less common variant outfit, if you must know). As I set about doing what I usually do with a new acquisition it struck me: what is the best things to do with a new collectible?
    • What I typically do first is confirm that what I had purchased was there and that it wasn't damaged in shipping.
    • Then I strip the figure and make sure the joints are tight, its parts are correct, and check the paint for wear. I also like to use an x-acto knife to smooth the seams and remove any bumps from when it was molded.
    • I next go over the clothing to snip off any loose threads and, if needed, reattach or replace snaps, buttons, etc. If there are tears or weak seams I may try to sew a repair. I check to make sure that all clothes and accessories are correct for the figure and that they are original (the accessory check here on Mego Museum is quite helpful). If there are boot splits or missing items I see if I have a replacement or update my want list for the parts.
    • Lastly, I update my figure inventory (yes, I have a spreadsheet) and usually take a pic as well. Then I re-dress the figure and box him up for storage. (ok, I admit it, I play a bit with the figure before putting it away!)

What do you guys do when you get a new figure? What should (shouldn't) I be doing? Any other tips you can share?
    Looking for redhead AJ heads (or figures) - both bearded & clean shaven (I'm trying to complete all the variations).
    Also seeking: 1 blue Soldier Ape glove, 1 General Ape boot, sun reflector from PotA Fortress playset.
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

I'm a sick weirdo. I buy vintage toys still in the package and then gleefully rip them open like a madman when they arrive. There's something about being the first person to touch a 40 year old toy that just drives me crazy. I love it.
    Anyway...I open my toys, play with them for about a week, and stick them on a shelf.

Comment

• skullface
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 29, 2012

Enyawd72 thats just wrong man. If you want to sell any of that vintage packaging lmk.

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

Why is it wrong? It's his stuff. He can do whatever he wants.

Comment

• MRJ001
          • Feb 2, 2014

I do the same thing. I like minty loose toys, so I often buy toys with damaged packaging just to get the toy in the condition I want. & often sell the packaging to recoup some of the purchase cost. Sometimes it works out so that I end up with the figure for free or almost so after selling the opened package.

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by skullface
            Enyawd72 thats just wrong man. If you want to sell any of that vintage packaging lmk.
            Opening the stuff is half the fun man! It's like having the experience of getting it brand new for Christmas back in the 70's or 80's...you can't put a price on that. It's just magical. I love it.

I do have a whole collection of Comic Action Hero cards and bubbles if you're interested...

Comment

• Relic
              Banned
              • Jun 24, 2012

I would like to buy your bubbles

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

I open 'em and play w/ them too, but I do like to save the packaging when possible.
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                  Invincible Ironing Man
                  • Feb 28, 2008

1. A thorough check to see if there's damage, and if anything needs sewing, washing, cleaning, etc. Sometimes old figures have a moldy smell, that needs to get addressed. I like to keep it as original as possible. If there's some wear and damage, that's because it's 40 years old and has had a life!

2. If it's on nice card with great card art, I'll consider leaving it like that, and only if the figure doesn't lose its visual appeal in the package. Some figures just need displaying, and then the package gets opened. I just opened a boxed 80s Power Lords vehicle and had lots of fun trying out all its features and putting figures in it. It looks ten times greater outside the box! It's a toy, really!!!!!

3. Let's say I buy a vintage SW vehicle, with no windows to see the toy inside. It gets opened (don't give me any of that "sealed nonsense"), and displayed with the box behind it. Decals are applied. I will not leave an item inside a box if its invisible to the eye. It might as well be an empty box then.

4. I have like 20 boxed/carded Megos, and 80 loose. I'd rather have two loose than one carded. These guys need action! It's in their job description.

5. To me, toys are all about displaying. I never store them. I must be able to see them. If I need to store them, I have too many toys and too little space.

Just for the record, that's way I collect. Some people collect AFA style. I'm sure some take this to the max. They'll get them appraised, then put the sealed case in another acrylic case (to protect the AFA case) and them put this in a cardboard box for storage. They'll list the collection, and just looks at the list. So be it!

Anyway; It's your stuff, so enjoy it the way you like it!

But we're getting off topic.
                  I think the original question was mainly about a loose figure, and what you do to clean it up (or not)....
                  "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Most vintage figures I've purchased go through a thorough cleaning and inspection. Unless the figure is incredibly mint in loose form, I typically consider the figure to be something that should be cleaned. No one knows how these things were stored or in what environment they picked up secondary contaminate. So I always give the figure itself a good soaking in hot, soapy water to clean off any surface dirt/smell. If applicable I will do the same with the outfit to remove any storage smell the outfit might have acquired through the years. I've never had any problems in the cleaning process and the outfits always fit better and look brighter/cleaner afterwards. I do this for my safety plus the understanding that my collector room is filling up with allot of things that best be getting some kind of attention in the early stages so they don't fester secondary problems for me or mint items they sit next too.

Comment

• Mego Marauder
                      • Dec 9, 2014

Oh I could never do that unless the package was just utterly undisplayable. I just feel that if it's survived intact all this time it's a shame to open it up and ruin the originality.
                      Originally posted by enyawd72
                      I'm a sick weirdo. I buy vintage toys still in the package and then gleefully rip them open like a madman when they arrive. There's something about being the first person to touch a 40 year old toy that just drives me crazy. I love it.
                      Anyway...I open my toys, play with them for about a week, and stick them on a shelf.

Comment

• Capt Kirk
                        Museum Patron
                        • Jan 15, 2005

To answer the OP:
                        Your description is almost identical to mine, even down to the trimming of flash from the figure!
                        As a kid, I first noticed that burrs or flash on a Mego or LJN figure would hang on the fabric and cause damage (Mom was a seamstress- thanks again, Mom!), so, good list!
                        AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                          One eyed, wonder
                          • Dec 17, 2009

Oh yes to all of this, except the package killers! I called the cops on you guys. Wanna know what they said? "Stop calling us, we don't care."

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by dr_cyclops
                            Oh yes to all of this, except the package killers! I called the cops on you guys. Wanna know what they said? "Stop calling us, we don't care."
                            You need to call the "Toy Police"...

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎