Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 16, 2012

Looks like a missed opportunity to actually improve the line.
    I really like series 1 but these are not different enough to make me want them. I'll pick up the FTC Dynasty set instead. bummer.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
      Creature Of The Night
      • May 14, 2011

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

Have you seen the Shark Tank figures? The sculpts are beautiful.
        1000x600_SharkTank.jpg

The Twilight Zone figures are also beautiful.

What happened with KISS? At the very least, I'd like headsculpts that looked like the guys under the makeup. I could accept everything else if the likenesses were as strong as the Shark Tank figures.
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ I think part of what really makes the KISS figures challenging is trying to apply a descent paint job in a factory setting since the makeup designs play such a big role in how they are perceived. When I look at these figures, part of me thinks the sculpt could be there but the paint apps are so off, it's hard to tell. That happen with the FTC Sonic Boom heads. The sculpts were actually quite good, but by the time they applied the bad hair plugs and poor paint apps, it didn't really matter what the sculpts looked like underneath, they were visually tough to look at.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by MIB41
            ^^^ I think part of what really makes the KISS figures challenging is trying to apply a descent paint job in a factory setting since the makeup designs play such a big role in how they are perceived. When I look at these figures, part of me thinks the sculpt could be there but the paint apps are so off, it's hard to tell. That happen with the FTC Sonic Boom heads. The sculpts were actually quite good, but by the time they applied the bad hair plugs and poor paint apps, it didn't really matter what the sculpts looked like underneath, they were visually tough to look at.
            I disagree that the Sonic Boom heads were good. I don't think they looked much like the band at all.

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
              I disagree that the Sonic Boom heads were good. I don't think they looked much like the band at all.
              As they were painted, no. But the sculpts themselves were pretty darn good. Those paints did substantial harm to the final look.

Comment

• ZebMayonaise
                • Nov 6, 2012

As a buyer of the first series, I am quite disappointed with series two as shown... I guess it is a comic-con exclusive so things could change, but using same head sculpts and charging $60 for a box and four coasters is not what I would even consider incentive to buy. oh man...
                BBP29120lg.jpg

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by MIB41
                  As they were painted, no. But the sculpts themselves were pretty darn good. Those paints did substantial harm to the final look.

I still disagree. There's no way that looks like Paul Stanley. We all know now what those guys look like out of makeup and if it wasn't for the tongue, I wouldn't be able to identify any of them. I wonder if toy companies decide that it doesn't matter what the sculpt looks like, as long as the makeup is there, we'll buy it like a bunch of mindless zombies.

There's a reason FTC hired the Farrow. He could sculpt good likenesses of KISS.
                  Last edited by CrimsonGhost; Jul 13, '16, 2:00 PM.

Comment

• ZebMayonaise
                    • Nov 6, 2012

Maybe I spoke too soon... Looks like there is a Dynasty version being shown at the ComicCon with much more detail than these Unmasked figures. Same head sculpts, which is still disappointing, but the costumes look really nice. Pretty cool.

Comment

• ZebMayonaise
                      • Nov 6, 2012

kissBif.jpg
                      Here is an image from SDCC via Action Figure Insider's Facebook page (lots of great images of other cool stuff there too!) showing the "Exclusive" Unmasked figures next to the assumably soon to be widely released Dynasty counterparts. The Unmasked figures are clearly just a less detailed version. It is worth noting that they have color highlights in their hair that correspond with each character's solo albums... kinda fun, I guess. Personally, I don't see the point of these aside from the rare/collectable aspect but that's not really my bag and that is fine.
                      I do like the costumes on the Dynasty figures... cool stuff! The details make these a lot cooler. There you have it. Enjoy.

Comment

• mego
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 16, 2012

y'know, Those do look a lot better than the 'exclusive' figures first shown. The updated costumes and capes/etc make these look really cool.
                        I would really like to see different head sculpts, but I do like these too. It looks like they're all packaged up and ready to go... wonder when they're going on sale?
                        If another set gets made, please update the head sculpts. Also, the Paul Stanley figure needs some major help. His shoulders are far too slight, he barely stands and his eyes are painted too far up on the head... he just looks weird. Give Ace a new head too. Other than that, great job. I do really like these figures.

Comment

• BifBangPow! JLabs
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 21, 2009

Thank you! All comments noted. It's really interesting - these heads where all digitally sculpted from arguably the best in the world (3D Systems). But alas, everything can be improved. We are KISS super fans, and these details matter to us. More fun to come!

Originally posted by mego
                          y'know, Those do look a lot better than the 'exclusive' figures first shown. The updated costumes and capes/etc make these look really cool.
                          I would really like to see different head sculpts, but I do like these too. It looks like they're all packaged up and ready to go... wonder when they're going on sale?
                          If another set gets made, please update the head sculpts. Also, the Paul Stanley figure needs some major help. His shoulders are far too slight, he barely stands and his eyes are painted too far up on the head... he just looks weird. Give Ace a new head too. Other than that, great job. I do really like these figures.
                          Co-founder, BifBangPow!
                          bifbangpow.com
                          twitter.com/bifbangpow

Comment

• mego
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 16, 2012

The heads are ok, but need tweaking. Peter and Gene are great. Ace looks like he lost some definition in the production process. His hair is part of the problem... I realize that concessions must be made for production but Ace's hair is very strange. Paul's paint apps are off. You can see where the eyes are intended to be painted, but that's not where the eyes are applied (they need to be further down, towards the center of the head). Again, Gene and Peter are great.
                            On closer inspection, Paul's chest piece is way way too small. For being the most muscular member of the band, his action figure is the skinniest... almost twig like. He also has two different sized legs which make it next to impossible to make him stand. It's very plainly visible in the photos from SDCC where the Paul figure is always falling over. With giant KISS boots, these guys should have no problem standing. It's important.
                            With figure lines that feature the same four people, I'd really like to see changes in the heads with each set. These could be slight (different paint apps to reflect the member's changing makeup) or more pronounced (different expressions, hair styles, etc).
                            Thank you again for making these figures and thanks for listening to our concerns. I appreciate the product and the conversation. I look forward to buying this and future sets.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                              GLOWS in the Dark!
                              • May 3, 2006

Ace definitely needs a new head. Paul could probably use one too, but his doesn't really bother me. Gene is OK. Peter's looks the best I think. But Ace, come on, it's ACE, he should be done perfect always.

Comment

• BifBangPow! JLabs
                                Career Member
                                • Dec 21, 2009

Originally posted by TCM Hitchhiker
                                Ace definitely needs a new head. Paul could probably use one too, but his doesn't really bother me. Gene is OK. Peter's looks the best I think. But Ace, come on, it's ACE, he should be done perfect always.
                                We hear you!
                                Co-founder, BifBangPow!
                                bifbangpow.com
                                twitter.com/bifbangpow

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍