X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrekStar
    Trek or Treat
    • Jan 20, 2011

Racoon Skin Cap

Well I have just about completed a Daniel Boone custom, sort of on the same idea as Davey Crockett
    with a slight clothing and accessories change, but I would like this to be topped off with a nice fur type material
    racoon skin hat, instead of the issued Crockett brown plastic cap.

So I'm asking around to see if anyone has an idea on how or where I can maybe find something?
    I do have an extra ctvt crockett hat, painting it over to look like a racoon hat is something I want to avoid
    unless it's the only solution available, I'm also checking ebay but no luck so far, this would have to fit the mego
    style heads.

any ideas please let me know and thanks!
  • Grimjohn
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 28, 2011

Just flock it!

Seriously, I would flock a CTVT Crockett Hat. If you are going for the striped look on the tail part of the cap just paint black stripes on it and they will be your guide for where to flock the black flock, then just flock the rest with brown flock.
    My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

Thanks Grimjohn, great idea and it's on it's way to get flocked, will post pics when finished.

Comment

• Mod Style
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 1, 2009

Originally posted by tjacwave50
        Well I have just about completed a Daniel Boone custom, sort of on the same idea as Davey Crockett
        with a slight clothing and accessories change, but I would like this to be topped off with a nice fur type material
        racoon skin hat, instead of the issued Crockett brown plastic cap.

So I'm asking around to see if anyone has an idea on how or where I can maybe find something?
        I do have an extra ctvt crockett hat, painting it over to look like a racoon hat is something I want to avoid
        unless it's the only solution available, I'm also checking ebay but no luck so far, this would have to fit the mego
        style heads.

any ideas please let me know and thanks!
        As a Kentucky guy and a big fan of ky pioneer history I've read that Boone never really wore a coon skin cap.According to Boone's youngest son, his father wore a wide brimmed Quaker hat. That might be a neat touch for your custom.If you want to see an example, Google an image of Scott New as Daniel Boone.

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

I did some Daniel Boone research and you are correct that Boone never wore a racoon skin hat,
          it's only see like that because of the television show, but no worries, I'm still doing the hat flocking
          and maybe I'll use it for my Davey Crockett instead.

By the way, I'm a fan of the Turtleman love the show, but I don't see it on tv anymore, was it cancelled?
          I wouldn't mind doing a custom of him, is he actually from Kentucky? and did they air the show there?

Comment

• Mod Style
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 1, 2009

I haven't seen the Turtleman in a while either.....but yeah, he's from a little town called Lebanon in central Kentucky.

Comment

• piecemaker
              There's no need to fear..
              • Jan 26, 2009

Tjacwave50 asked me to do a "racoon flock" on his Davey Crockett cap and here's what it looks like all flocked up.

[img]http://piecemaker.smugmug.com/photos/i-KF2XSbR/0/L/i-KF2XSbR-L.jpg[/img]

Comment

• Grimjohn
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 28, 2011

That is flockin' SWEET!!!

Seriously, that totally rocks!!! I can't wait to see it on Tjac's custom figure.
                My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• madmarva
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jul 7, 2007

that looks great, Piecemaker. I painted one a few years ago that looked OK, but that's wonderful.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                    Talkative Member
                    • Aug 28, 2006

Holy flock!!!
                    That looks simply stunning.
                    “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• apes3978
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 19, 2005

The hat looks very good...

Comment

• mpramuk
                        Museum Patron
                        • Nov 24, 2007

Very nice cap!
                        Looking for redhead AJ heads (or figures) - both bearded & clean shaven (I'm trying to complete all the variations).
                        Also seeking: 1 blue Soldier Ape glove, 1 General Ape boot, sun reflector from PotA Fortress playset.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                          One eyed, wonder
                          • Dec 17, 2009

Now that looks like a "Coonskin Cap".

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡