X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Action Martin
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by Boywonder0
    Whatever version was supposed to be the mego-ish should have worn blue ovenmitts or blue Richard Reeds FF4 gloves...
    I believe Wolverine would have been a post-Fantastic Four release figure, so he most likely would have had blue Mister Fantastic gloves. But would he have been given his own boot sculpt like Thor or would he have been given blue super-hero boots like Batman?
    Scott

Comment

• megowgsh
      Customego HoF Curator
      • Nov 19, 2003

It is getting extremely hard for me to continue to read what I consider the bashing of these, and pretty much all other re-Megos, being released lately.

I feel that this Classic Yellow Wolverine is dead on! And, as a customizer who for 15 some-odd years has been creating characters whom Mego never made in Mego-style I feel I am pretty qualified to have an opinion on this.

EMCE and Diamond knew this set was going to be the most scrutinized simply for the fact that Mego never made a Wolverine and that they could not just make a "repro" like they did with Spider-Man or Captain America.

If Mego had tacked on a Wolverine around the time of the final Marvel Wave (Thor, Conan, Fantastic Four) he would have looked very similar to this in my opinion.

Everybody keeps saying his head looks similar to Conan, but with hair. Well, Mego was famous for re-using heads. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that MEGO would have done this.

In addition, the only part of the head that would be visible would be his mouth since he would be wearing his removable cowl most of the time anyway (until us knucklehead kids lost it in the back yard probably somewhere near Batman's cowl).

One could argue that Mego would not have made a removable cowl for Wolvie and that would be a valid arguement. But, if you check the WGSH line-up no character even wearing a cowl was made after Captain America. By the time Mego made a Wolverine action figure they could have had a change of heart or been tasked by Marvel to do it this way especially considering how "realistic" the last Marvel wave was compared to its predecessors.

His gloved hands look similar to the Mr. Fantastic and Invisible Girl gloves except with fists. Not to mention the Teen Titan gloves which came out a year later.

The boots look exactly as I would have imagined they would have as well. And they look pretty spot on.

And, everything else -- belt, claws, colors -- looks pretty much as it should.

Here is a link I found with the evolution of the Wolverine costume. Check out 1975 and tell me that this figure is off. I dare you!

Oh, that yellow spandex with beautiful blue trunks. As classic as that suit was, I have no beef with Wolverine's badassery tossing that away in the movies (plus, with a body like Hugh Jackman's...). But still, it's nice to see the Wolverine we all loved as a child again. Here's the full history of all the suits that…

As for the secret identity and the "modern" version, I think those look spectacular. The reason for the cuffs on the modern Wolvie is probably because that is how most of the recent re-Megos have been made (see Mattel's Green Lantern) or to set it off from the Classic Yellow version. Either way it looks great!

Peace, Love and Re-Megos!

Austin

There! I've said my peace.
      Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Action Martin
        There goes the "Mego version" of Wolverine out the window!
        A Mego Wolverine would not have looked as good as these figures. That's the exact Logan that most all of us knew we would be getting. Is there a cowboy hat?
        My only "gripe" is the removable mask.
        Oh, and why molded gloves for blue/yellow Wolverine but "cuff" gloves for brown/orange Wolverine?
        how is the yellow suited one not a Mego what if? figure?
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• SpaceAgent
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 21, 2009

Dammit! You guys have done too good of a job with these and have now sucked me in. I will have to get at least the four figures that have been shown.

Comment

• Action Martin
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by megowgsh
            It is getting extremely hard for me to continue to read what I consider the bashing of these, and pretty much all other re-Megos, being released lately.
            It's the nature of the beast. Fans and collectors will critique everything. I don't think anyone is really bashing these new figures. I can't wait for my Spider-Man and Captain America sets to arrive.

I feel that this Classic Yellow Wolverine is dead on! And, as a customizer who for 15 some-odd years has been creating characters whom Mego never made in Mego-style I feel I am pretty qualified to have an opinion on this.
            I feel it's dead on with the comic book version too. When I got into customizing in 2006, my mantra was "What Would Mego Do?" and I had a blast with it.

EMCE and Diamond knew this set was going to be the most scrutinized simply for the fact that Mego never made a Wolverine and that they could not just make a "repro" like they did with Spider-Man or Captain America.
            Exactly. It's my opinion that it's more of a comic book accurate Wolverine than an original Mego.

Everybody keeps saying his head looks similar to Conan, but with hair. Well, Mego was famous for re-using heads. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that MEGO would have done this.
            I'm trying to think of re-used heads in the WGSH line and right now I can't think of any. I'm not saying that there isn't, but right now I can't think of one.

The boots look exactly as I would have imagined they would have as well. And they look pretty spot on.
            The boots look great. But I don't know if Mego would have went in that direction. And this leads to the updated version having the same boots but with a different color scheme, which is not the way EMCE went with Spidey and Cap.

Here is a link I found with the evolution of the Wolverine costume. Check out 1975 and tell me that this figure is off. I dare you!
            I don't think anyone is saying the figure is off. It's very accurate.

The reason for the cuffs on the modern Wolvie is probably because that is how most of the recent re-Megos have been made (see Mattel's Green Lantern) or to set it off from the Classic Yellow version.
            Set if off makes sense but they went with the same mask and boots. Shouldn't have there been more differences to set it off?
            Scott

Comment

• Action Martin
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by thunderbolt
              how is the yellow suited one not a Mego what if? figure?
              Personally, I don't think it looks like something Mego would have done back then. It looks great, as does the whole set.
              Scott

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                One eyed, wonder
                • Dec 17, 2009

Someone on facebook said it best when they explained why Wolverine is not a good choice for a removable mask. Removable masks look good only one way, on or off. If the masked head is the correct scale, the head will be too small. If the head is the correct scale, the masked head will be huge. Wolverine's hair style and sideburns make it even worse for him.

I really like the other two heads. the SI Logan looks great with his serious but natural expression, and his outfit looks great. The brown costume head is great as well for the same reason.

Silly as it may be, I really wanted to see a naive classic Mego style. That look customizers get when they sculpt over an original mego head or casting.
                Last edited by dr_cyclops; Oct 12, '14, 1:47 PM.

Comment

• jayraytee
                  Career Member
                  • May 27, 2011

I don't think anyone's opinion is more valid than anyone elses, no matter if they have experience as a customizer or not. I also don't feel like it is bashing the line to critique it or wish some things were done differently.

As for the boots and gloves, my only real complain is that they are thick, not necessarily the style (Fantastic Four had similar gloves, but thinner.) But DrMego said, "The actual production versions will be thinner because Mattel isn't making them." So, they don't intend on them being thick like that anyway, and what is shown is not what DrMego himself wants. So if that is made better, I would be pretty happy about the set.

I personally would prefer the gloved hands be done the way the Brown suit is done, as opposed to how the Yellow suit is done. But thats just personal preference. I am not real bothered by the head sculpts, I prefer the masked brown suit head over the others, and I would rather the yellow suit head was similar. But, the majority might not feel that way, it's a matter of taste.

They are going to be great sets, and I hope DrMego and DST gauge fan base feedback on how to make things better and I am sure they will. Plus these are hand produced mock ups or prototypes in the first place, so the finished product will look better.
                  My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• megalomaniac001
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 24, 2009

Originally posted by jayraytee
                    They are going to be great sets, and I hope DrMego and DST gauge fan base feedback on how to make things better and I am sure they will. Plus these are hand produced mock ups or prototypes in the first place, so the finished product will look better.
                    We'll said. We need to remember these are prototypes! The suits are hand sewn, the gloves and boots are hand cast. I will get the set regardless. I customize, so I figure I can change anything if it really bothers me. I doubt I will, I'm still haven't gotten around to fixing my Mattel figures! I would say that these sets are ten times better than anything I can do, and that is in their current form. I bet the final versions will be even better than that!

Comment

• Brown Bear
                      Still Old School
                      • Feb 14, 2008

Originally posted by megalomaniac001
                      We'll said. We need to remember these are prototypes! The suits are hand sewn, the gloves and boots are hand cast. I will get the set regardless. I customize, so I figure I can change anything if it really bothers me. I doubt I will, I'm still haven't gotten around to fixing my Mattel figures! I would say that these sets are ten times better than anything I can do, and that is in their current form. I bet the final versions will be even better than that!
                      Not always true. I saw a final pic of Barney Hiller on facebook and his head looks horrible compared to the Toy Fair version we saw first.
                      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• warlock664
                        Persistent Member
                        • Feb 15, 2009

I don't think anyone's opinion is more valid than anyone elses, no matter if they have experience as a customizer or not.
                        That's exactly right.

Comment

• Action Martin
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 30, 2007

I personally would prefer the gloved hands be done the way the Brown suit is done, as opposed to how the Yellow suit is done. But thats just personal preference. I am not real bothered by the head sculpts, I prefer the masked brown suit head over the others, and I would rather the yellow suit head was similar. But, the majority might not feel that way, it's a matter of taste.
                          When I was customizing or playing with Megos as a kid, I preferred the cuff gloves like Green Arrow so the figures could hold their accessories. But for display purposes, the plastic ones look great.
                          Ironically, the brown suit Wolverine head looks like what Mego would have given us back in the day.
                          Scott

Comment

• madmarva
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jul 7, 2007

True mego-like boots for the yellow Wolverine costume would probably just be mego batman boots.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                              Persistent Member
                              • Apr 18, 2006

Hard to add much new to what has already been said, but I doubt Mego would have used standard hero boots on Wolverine. Robin, Green Goblin, Falcon, Iron Man, Aqualad, Mr Fantastic and Kid Flash all had unique boots made for them, and I think Mego would have done the same for Wolverine. Gloves also moved away from oven mitts after the first wave of DC characters. This Wolverine fits in with vintage Mego as much as Megos own offerings mesh with themselves. Three good looking variations of Wolverine.

Comment

• madmarva
                                Talkative Member
                                • Jul 7, 2007

No, goofy grin, oven mitts and regular mego hero boots. That's the mego style. No updates or improvements accepted.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎