Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Action Martin
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 30, 2007

If Wolverine would have been released post-1975, he would have had molded gloves, whether his own or blue Mister Fantastic gloves.
    Last edited by Action Martin; Oct 14, '14, 5:34 AM.
    Scott

Comment

• scott metzger
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 9, 2007

I think Mego would have gone with a Thor-like approach for Wolvie, meaning unique boots along the line of what we see here; these just seem a bit thick and bulky, but that may be due to the early nature of the prototype and the materials used. The yellow costume is pretty much in line with what we'd have seen from Mego, as are the Mr. Fantastic type gloves. I doubt, though, we'd have seen claws on them; since Logan spent a lot of time with them retracted, I'm pretty sure Mego would have seen that as a good reason to save the money on production (also, having an action figure with big knives sticking out of his hands might have made them pause in the mid to late 70's). It's the head that is out of place; the brown masked head is much more what we'd have likely seen from Mego. The unmasked head has way too much of a modern feel to it; Mego's heads were nicely detailed, but in a softer way (most likely due to the limitations of the molding tech of the time). The detailing is too heavy, sharp and deep here; too many hard edges for a Mego feel. I can live with the claws as they add something to the figure and, while unlikely at the time, still look like they could be from that era. But the head is definitely out of place; switch the non-snarling heads out, and I think you've got a decent "what would Mego have made" Wolvie in the yellow duds.

Comment

• Action Martin
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by scott metzger
        I think Mego would have gone with a Thor-like approach for Wolvie, meaning unique boots along the line of what we see here; these just seem a bit thick and bulky, but that may be due to the early nature of the prototype and the materials used. The yellow costume is pretty much in line with what we'd have seen from Mego, as are the Mr. Fantastic type gloves. I doubt, though, we'd have seen claws on them; since Logan spent a lot of time with them retracted, I'm pretty sure Mego would have seen that as a good reason to save the money on production (also, having an action figure with big knives sticking out of his hands might have made them pause in the mid to late 70's). It's the head that is out of place; the brown masked head is much more what we'd have likely seen from Mego. The unmasked head has way too much of a modern feel to it; Mego's heads were nicely detailed, but in a softer way (most likely due to the limitations of the molding tech of the time). The detailing is too heavy, sharp and deep here; too many hard edges for a Mego feel. I can live with the claws as they add something to the figure and, while unlikely at the time, still look like they could be from that era. But the head is definitely out of place; switch the non-snarling heads out, and I think you've got a decent "what would Mego have made" Wolvie in the yellow duds.
        I totally agree with you.
        Scott

Comment

• Mego Milk
          Custom Mego Maker
          • Jun 3, 2007

getting!

Comment

• dr_cyclops
            One eyed, wonder
            • Dec 17, 2009

I think flesh colored sleeves would help the gloves appear more in proportion with the body on Yellow/Black Wolverine.

Comment

• DSTZach
              Museum Super Collector
              • Mar 1, 2012

Great job on these, Doc! As someone who spent several years mixing a Charlee Flatt Wolverine in with classic Megos for photo shoots, I feel spoiled to have three great options to chose from.

While I think they all look great now, I'm sure many of these resin parts will look slightly different in production, and they'll most likely look even better. If anyone can execute a great removable mask, it's Doc. He's seen what has come before, and what has worked and not worked.

No samples yet, that I am aware of, but hopefully we can share some in-hand pics of Spidey soon.

Comment

• Action Martin
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by dr_cyclops
                I think flesh colored sleeves would help the gloves appear more in proportion with the body on Yellow/Black Wolverine.
                Flesh-colored sleeves would have been very Mego.
                Scott

Comment

• megowgsh
                  Customego HoF Curator
                  • Nov 19, 2003

Originally posted by Action Martin
                  Flesh-colored sleeves would have been very Mego.
                  Maybe in 1972, but in 1975 they would not have been (see Thor). This yellow and blue suit is almost identical in every way to Thor's from the cuffs on the shoulders to the unique boots. I have no doubt that the Mego Thor suit was the inspiration for this classic yellow and blue Wolverine.
                  Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• jayraytee
                    Career Member
                    • May 27, 2011

Well since Doc said the gloves and boots were hand molded and that the actual ones will be thinner plastic, we probably don't need flesh sleeves to make the gloves look better. Bare arms are fine, just like the Thor suit, as long as the gloves end up thinner. Even with that, I prefer the way the brown suit gloves are done over the mitten style of the yellow suit. The Green Arrow style cuffs and green hands are just far superior and I imagine cheaper than the big Fantastic Four type plastic gloves.
                    My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                      Moderation Engineer
                      • Aug 14, 2003

Big difference between protos and factory samples. I expect the finished product won't be half as jarring as standing a Mego Batman beside a Mego Thor.

Comment

• Mego Milk
                        Custom Mego Maker
                        • Jun 3, 2007

buying!

Comment

• The Bat
                          Batman Fanatic
                          • Jul 14, 2002

I'm buying too....just for the brown and tan one alone. And who knows, the final figures may look better than the Proto-types.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Action Martin
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by The Bat
                            I'm buying too....just for the brown and tan one alone. And who knows, the final figures may look better than the Proto-types.
                            I'm betting that they will.
                            Scott

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎