Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIZARRO ! FTC posted a good-sized pic of the head sculpt & face deets!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comicmike
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 22, 2009

BIZARRO ! FTC posted a good-sized pic of the head sculpt & face deets!

I posted the Superfriends cel for comparison.
    LoVe iT!
    Last edited by comicmike; Sep 30, '14, 2:46 PM.
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Looks great!

Comment

• nobody
      banjo!
      • Jan 26, 2012

Those 2 pics aren't even close.

Comment

• invisiblelad
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 6, 2014

I like Bizarro. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I just wish that Bizarro (Alfred, Comm. Gordon, Ras Al Ghul, Scarecrow) were more Mego & less detailed. I just expected them to be closer to Mego detail & costume wise. I mean I clearly expected updates on the BIG DC Guns that were too simple like Wonder Woman for example, But I was thinking that the whole comic line would be somewhat simpler in design. Now that the SUPER FRIENDS have been announced by FTC, I'm hoping for that same Bizarro pictured above, as I see almost no resemblance except the eyes somewhat. I just think the possibility of future BIG heads & more detailed sculpts will end up making FTC's WGH looking more like 90s toys dressed in nice cloth costumes, and definitely less 70's Mego. I am taking into account some of Mego's more detailed head sculpts & costumes. I know Thor & Conan are way better both costume & detail wise than Mego 8" Wonder Woman, but I also see these New FTC characters looking far different then even Mego's best sculpts feautured later in their WGSH lines. I just think IF the heads start coming out BIG wave after wave, & the detail strays too far from MEGO's WGSH, It'll set them too far apart from Megos' look/aesthetic we all fell in LOVE with. I fear that if this happens, I won't be the only customer losing interest & reducing (possibly stopping) future buys of FTC's WGH. I'm hoping they dial back the detail, & start looking to find a great formula for keeping a consistent head scale, on all the upcoming AWESOME WGH figures that are forthcoming! That would make me so happy! Again I did say I'm probably in the minority on this.

???: Can we as members of the megomuseum start polls? Or only moderators/administrators can create/run polls? Just wondering if I (or anyone) can make a fairly detailed poll to gauge the preferences for FTC's future products. Thanks for any info on that! -invisiblelad
        Last edited by invisiblelad; Sep 30, '14, 3:52 PM.

Comment

• Iron Mego
          Wake Up Heavy
          • Jan 31, 2010

That's pmwasson's pic. Hope they gave him credit.
          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Iron Mego
            Wake Up Heavy
            • Jan 31, 2010

I took some pictures tonight of the Superman Wave from FTC. I think they all look great! Here is a Mego Type-2 Superman in the middle to compare against the new Superman and Bizarro The capes are very similar, but the new ones seem a bit more wrinkled and have almost a papery feel to them. Here
            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• pmwasson
              Maker
              • Sep 12, 2007

Originally posted by Iron Mego
              That's pmwasson's pic. Hope they gave him credit.
              I had posted it to their facebook page and they thanked me.
              sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Astronut
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 21, 2010

Originally posted by invisiblelad
                I like Bizarro. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I just wish that Bizarro (Alfred, Comm. Gordon, Ras Al Ghul, Scarecrow) were more Mego & less detailed. I just expected them to be closer to Mego detail & costume wise. I mean I clearly expected updates on the BIG DC Guns that were too simple like Wonder Woman for example, But I was thinking that the whole comic line would be somewhat simpler in design. Now that the SUPER FRIENDS have been announced by FTC, I'm hoping for that same Bizarro pictured above, as I see almost no resemblance except the eyes somewhat. I just think the possibility of future BIG heads & more detailed sculpts will end up making FTC's WGH looking more like 90s toys dressed in nice cloth costumes, and definitely less 70's Mego. I am taking into account some of Mego's more detailed head sculpts & costumes. I know Thor & Conan are way better both costume & detail wise than Mego 8" Wonder Woman, but I also see these New FTC characters looking far different then even Mego's best sculpts feautured later in their WGSH lines. I just think IF the heads start coming out BIG wave after wave, & the detail strays too far from MEGO's WGSH, It'll set them too far apart from Megos' look/aesthetic we all fell in LOVE with.
                I could not agree more.

In my mind, the whole point of this line is to give us - at least the people who don't have $$$ coming out of our a sses - the opportunity to collect the figures Mego made --- and the ones the company never got to. And I am 100% down for buying all of them... or at least most of them... as reproductions. Because I, for one, am not willing to spend that kind of crazy money on the originals.

If the "new" additions stray too far from the original Mego vibe, the original Mego aesthetic, then I'm not as excited to buy them. They should all appear to co-exist as if they were actually done back in the day... as Mego would have done them.

Am I crazy?

I think more people subscribe to this expectation than you might think.
                Last edited by Astronut; Sep 30, '14, 5:52 PM.

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

That really brings home how FTC Bizarro doesn't look like any specific rendition. Scars instead of sharp-edged features with Superfriends Bizarro eyes and a pompadour...which I have not been able to find on any version. I thought they originally followed the Who's Who image, but that's quite different.

In it's own way, the inexactness makes it kinda Megoish, but those inaccuracies were due to global translations.

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                    • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by Astronut
                    I could not agree more.

In my mind, the whole point of this line is to give us - at least the people who don't have $$$ coming out of our a sses - the opportunity to collect the figures Mego made --- and the ones the company never got to. And I am 100% down for buying all of them... or at least most of them... as reproductions. Because I, for one, am not willing to spend that kind of crazy money on the originals.

If the "new" additions stray too far from the original Mego vibe, the original Mego aesthetic, then I'm not as excited to buy them. They should all appear to co-exist as if they were actually done back in the day... as Mego would have done them.

Am I crazy?

I think more people subscribe to this expectation than you might think.
                    I think you also have to consider that the 'Mego look' was evolving, and it had become more detailed toward the end of the 70s and by the early 80s. Look at overmitts for Batman and Aquaman giving way to molded gloves on the Teen Titans and Mr. Fantastic a few years later. The cartoony head sculpt of the first version Batman 12" figure and the grim head sculpt of the magnetic Batman.

If Mego had produced a Bizarro figure in 1973, he might have looked less detailed. But if he had been released in 1980, I think he would have looked very close to how the FTC version does.

I've always seen the FTC line as trying to fill in the gaps that Mego missed, and giving us the look that Mego would have done if they had stayed in business. If they had been around by the mid 1980s, they would have given us the Teen Titans that are coming, and probably with Perez-inspired sculpts.

I can see how some would see a bit of a disconnect in the overall look, but IMO this is exactly where Mego was heading.

Comment

• sprytel
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                      If Mego had produced a Bizarro figure in 1973, he might have looked less detailed. But if he had been released in 1980, I think he would have looked very close to how the FTC version does.
                      Probably true... Look at the size of Jon Baker's head!

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by megoknight
                        Those 2 pics aren't even close.
                        With all sincerity---I give props to the hairstyle and the "above-the-eye" design.

It could have been closer---but, then again, I think it could have been a LOT worse.

I dang had to repaint a DC Direct Supes robot action figure to get a decent SF-looking Bizarro in my collection (Jim Hampton's custom Mego headsculpt is pretty hot too, better than FTC's but is similar to FTC's in that it could benefit from more angular facial-features).
                        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎