Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megojim
    Permanent Member
    • Oct 13, 2001

I'd say they did a great job on this one!
    My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• Wasimhosen
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 23, 2011

20140930_185912.jpg
      The emblem feels like it's the same material as the belt, not like a sticker.

Comment

• Astronut
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 21, 2010

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        Aquaman's belt is distracting. I hope on the standard release, the belt is opaque...
        Didn't catch that initially but you're right; that belt has an emblem but it all looks really lame. As in "see-through." Wonder what happened there??

Comment

• invisiblelad
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 6, 2014

Originally posted by Astronut
          Didn't catch that initially but you're right; that belt has an emblem but it all looks really lame. As in "see-through." Wonder what happened there??
          I agree w/ you Astronut & PNGwynne, I now feel FTC *AQUAMAN's costume goes from my: AWESOME I LOVE these FTC's costumes list of 20-25+ figures, to somewhere between my: I LIKE these FTC costumes & my: I DISlike these FTC costumes list of 5-6 figs. I now see the belt as distractingly transparent, the "A" emblem not prominent enough, & finally his costume's LEGS are overly baggy & therefore uncharacteristic of being a "Underwater Crimefighter" as the old mego 2.5 minute ad/commercial claimed! 1 very minor nitpick about FTC's Males WGH's faces, why the so short & overly plucked/waxed eyebrows???? FTC Aquaman MUST get his eyebrows done by the same Chinese Waxer as FTC Bruce Wayne does! Super short brows! Again, minor compared to his tights being so waterlogged & baggy lol! Overall, you guys are getting me excited for these again! I Still am in Complete AWE that I'm getting a chance at Mego DC figures! Not sure about the DST Marvel ones, maybe I could find someone who doesn't want the re-do's of the Mego figures, I'll put them on bodies myself of course. Some of the Marvel S.I.'s look good!
          Last edited by invisiblelad; Sep 30, '14, 7:11 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks Was for the close-up--I see the emblem is vinyl as in later vintage Aquamen.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• sprytel
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by TRDouble
              Maybe it's just me, but this was a nice reminder for me of how much better the Mego Green Arrow was than the Mattel Retro Action version, and I thought GA was one of Mattel's better efforts.
              Actually, it had the opposite effect on me. "Wow, I think I prefer the Mattel over the FTC repro of the Mego. Maybe I've been too hard on the Mattel figures..."

But to each his own. And I totally agree that Green Arrow is one of the highlights in both the Mattel and the Mego line.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 29, 2007

Now this is a thread I enjoyed! Thank you W! Great figures from FTC!

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

First time I've seen the Shazam/Supes two-pack---not big on packaged toys, but to me, that 2-pack is what it's all about. I like that it focuses on a classic match-up...and that that match-up is a bit "off the beaten path" w/the "hero vs. hero" match, and the accompanying comicbook cover... thanks for the post!
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• ScottA
                    Original Member
                    • Jun 25, 2001

Very cool to see pics of the 2-packs.
                    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• scott metzger
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 9, 2007

I always ranked Mego's GA head as not only one of the best noggins they did, but the best version of Ollie I've seen, period. THere was just something about the sculpt that seemed to capture the Neal Adams/Mike Grell vibe I grew up with; even the Four Horsemen, much as I love their work at Mattel, didn't beat it with their 6" DC Classics GA figure (and the Super Powers figure looked way too..jaunty). The Mattel 8" came close, but still not quite as good. FTC pretty well duplicated Mego's, with even the paint job being good (as opposed to the job they did on Aquaman's eyes and brows. Yikes!!). Of course, the one major advantage of the FTC Ollie is he can stand up straight and his legs don't simply hang and wobble from the bottom of his body. The Mattel figures had the waist ball in upside down, and the bands barely holding the legs made them pretty well useless for posing. Only real advantage the Mattel one had was a better attempt to replicate GA's tall gloves.

A bit off the topic but mentioned here, I did note the almost transparent belts on the figures. It's not so bad on the Big Red Cheese, as it's solid red beneath it, but it's really bad on both Supes and Aquaman where the different colors meet underneath. It's VERY noticable, and I'd say it's second only to the bulbous heads as far as bad quality control goof-ups go. Some of the problems are easily dealt with, like the loose belt on Kara (did they just stick a Robin belt on her?), but something like the translucent belts there is no easy fix for.

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                        • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by scott metzger
                        A bit off the topic but mentioned here, I did note the almost transparent belts on the figures. It's not so bad on the Big Red Cheese, as it's solid red beneath it, but it's really bad on both Supes and Aquaman where the different colors meet underneath. It's VERY noticable, and I'd say it's second only to the bulbous heads as far as bad quality control goof-ups go. Some of the problems are easily dealt with, like the loose belt on Kara (did they just stick a Robin belt on her?), but something like the translucent belts there is no easy fix for.
                        Although I hate the way the belts look, not sure it's fair to call it a goof-up, just a poor choice of material. I will say it's not as noticeable in person, I guess because the flash is pointed directly at the figs in the pics. But it still doesn't look good.

Comment

• jayraytee
                          Career Member
                          • May 27, 2011

I agree it's a goof up. It wouldn't be a big deal to choose a more opaque vinyl for the belts, Mego was able to 40 years ago. On Aquaman with his black shorts it looks pretty bad.

And I agree, supergirl almost has to be wearing a Robin belt, it is not even close to fitting.
                          My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎