Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the story behind AJ's artwork being PotA Astronaut?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 18, 2015

Well actually Action Jackson was released in 1971, while the POTA Astronaut head was sculpted in '72, So it can't be the head sculpt originally intended for AJ. Perhaps the head was sculpted as a replacement for the original Action Jackson head, but was rejected?
    Last edited by TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip; Aug 21, '15, 9:53 AM.
    The hands that grip.

Comment

• robbo1970
      • Oct 2, 2010

I haven't been on here for ages, but as I am getting really into the AJ line, I'd like to add my theory/guess to this question.

My guess is that the original AJ head was going to be the Astronaut and the artwork was pre-designed on that basis. Mego then decided that the Astronaut head was going to be Don, so they held back production and rushed out a replacement AJ head (hence some of the crude sculpting, which I happen to think adds real charm). That could also explain the Astronaut head being used on some Dinah-Mite advertising.

Mego then decided that the Superman sculpt would be Don, which left the Astronaut redundant. Then, needing to create a generic Astronaut within the Heston likeness, they used the said head.

That's just my guess.

Comment

• apes3978
        Permanent Member
        • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by robbo1970
        My guess is that the original AJ head was going to be the Astronaut and the artwork was pre-designed on that basis. Mego then decided that the Astronaut head was going to be Don, so they held back production and rushed out a replacement AJ head (hence some of the crude sculpting, which I happen to think adds real charm). That could also explain the Astronaut head being used on some Dinah-Mite advertising.

Deleted my original reply, because I think I misread your post.
        Last edited by apes3978; Feb 3, '18, 11:03 AM. Reason: Misread the post I replied to

Comment

• robbo1970
          • Oct 2, 2010

Originally posted by apes3978
          Deleted my original reply, because I think I misread your post.
          I may have made a couple of typos. I of course meant "without" the Heston likeness. It was only a guess. It would be great to know the true story first hand, but until then, it's fun to come up with a few theories.

Comment

• Jetjungle75
            Career Member
            • Jan 11, 2013

Clemso, do you still have Jet Jungle? Great picture of the figure.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎