Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the story behind AJ's artwork being PotA Astronaut?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpramuk
    Museum Patron
    • Nov 24, 2007

What is the story behind AJ's artwork being PotA Astronaut?

I got a boxed Action Jackson the mail this weekend and while appreciating it I was struck by how much the artwork of the "Mod Styled Hair" AJ on the box looked suspiciously like the Astronaut figure from Planet of the Apes. So I dug out my astronaut and compared them:

Same face, same hair, same outfit - even same belt. Clearly there is a story behind this, but I couldn't find one on the Museum.

So what's the deal here? Was this figure planned as an extension for AJ but when AJ's sales tanked and at the same time licensing for the Heston likeness fell through they reused the figure in the Apes line instead? Could be. But that still doesn't explain why the box art looked like the Astronaut figure from the start. This one has me curious!

Anyone have the story on this??? Inquiring minds want to know!
    Looking for redhead AJ heads (or figures) - both bearded & clean shaven (I'm trying to complete all the variations).
    Also seeking: 1 blue Soldier Ape glove, 1 General Ape boot, sun reflector from PotA Fortress playset.
  • Action Martin
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 30, 2007

While this figure is what Action Jackson should have looked liked as pictured on the box, I believe you got a POTA Astronaut in an Action Jackson box.
    Can you post a picture of the box?
    Does your AJ have the dog tag and sticker sheets?
    Scott

Comment

• josephcardone
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 10, 2010

I think it is just there for comparison - it actually is pretty interesting!! I hope someone on here knows!

Comment

• Action Martin
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 30, 2007

Ah! I misread your post and thought that you bought it that way. Makes sense now.
        I'm guessing that the art, which was made years before the POTA line, was just a generic handsome 70s guy.
        Scott

Comment

• Neutron X
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 22, 2007

I thought AJ was designed to look like Joe Namath.

Comment

• clemso
            Talkative Member
            • Aug 8, 2001

I've often thought the same about POTA Astronaut, but i don't know if there is any real story to back it up. Also the Wayne sculpt would have worked well as seen in one of the Baravelli ads, but perhaps his facial sculpt was too close to GI Joe.

Comment

• Action Martin
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 30, 2007

Bruce Wayne was used for the Mego Mystery Man figure. I'd like to know more about that figure.
              Last edited by Action Martin; Oct 19, '14, 8:59 AM.
              Scott

Comment

• megozilla13
                Persistent Member
                • May 10, 2002

The astronaut head was kicking around Mego before he became "the POTA Astronaut" as he is pictured on the box of the Dinahmite inflatable pool accessory in 1973. I think it's no coincidence that he looks just like the figure on the AJ box. Over the years we've gotten the chance to ask ex-Mego employees many questions, but I don't remember anyone ever bringing this one up. It would be interesting to find out.

mikej
                WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

That's a good question. When I envision him with a beard though, he does begin to take on a strong likeness to GI Joe minus the flocking. If I had to guess, the creative brass along with their legal partners might have felt they were walking too fine a line to a GI Joe so they went an entirely different direction. I say that too because if you look at the finalized AJ, it doesn't look much at all like this one. So I have to think likeness concerns may have been on their mind with Hasbro's products. But since the packaging was probably already in production, they likely left that the same. Just a thought.

Comment

• mpramuk
                    Museum Patron
                    • Nov 24, 2007

To add to the mystery, the PotA Astronaut head has a (c)1972 while the rest of the Apes figures show (c)1974. So clearly he is an earlier sculpt re-used with PotA.

So was the Astronaut head intended for Dinah-Mite's boyfriend Don (as speculated here at the MM) or AJ (As the art would suggest)?

Perhaps was this head originally meant as a hoped-for expansion of the AJ figures? Or even the original proposed sculpt for AJ? Just seems too odd to have the AJ figure art and the Astronaut sculpt so similar and there not be a story behind it... Maybe someday we'll learn the story!
                    Looking for redhead AJ heads (or figures) - both bearded & clean shaven (I'm trying to complete all the variations).
                    Also seeking: 1 blue Soldier Ape glove, 1 General Ape boot, sun reflector from PotA Fortress playset.

Comment

• MegoCapnMike
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 22, 2012

Originally posted by Action Martin
                      Bruce Wayne was used for the Mego Mystery Man figure. I'd like to know more about that figure.
                      Here is some info and some theories from a post I started way back when. The pics all appear to be gone, but there are descriptions of them or the most part.

Having poked around on the site for a while now and being active on the forums for a few months, it surprises me to find that the Mystery of the Mystery Mego Man has not been solved. I see so many other oddities that are known about these figures and this just plain boggles me. This may be a dumb question and already
                      Looking for:

--Lion Rock "Mr Rock's" shoes/ boots (these may also be the same as the lion rock monster line boots)

--Mystery Astronaught

Comment

• clemso
                        Talkative Member
                        • Aug 8, 2001

Sadly I don't own the majority of these anymore, but I owned them long enough to take this pic. All the Mego figures together that have used the Bruce Wayne Sculpt, from left to right SI Bruce Wayne, RC Batman, Jet Jungle, Tex Willer and your Mystery Astronaut.

Originally posted by Action Martin

Comment

• MegoCapnMike
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 22, 2012

Clemso, do you still have the Mystery Man? If you are interested in selling, please let me know...
                          Looking for:

--Lion Rock "Mr Rock's" shoes/ boots (these may also be the same as the lion rock monster line boots)

--Mystery Astronaught

Comment

• clemso
                            Talkative Member
                            • Aug 8, 2001

No, sorry dude, long gone.

Originally posted by MegoCapnMike
                            Clemso, do you still have the Mystery Man? If you are interested in selling, please let me know...

Comment

• jwyblejr
                              galactic yo-yo
                              • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by clemso
                              Sadly I don't own the majority of these anymore, but I owned them long enough to take this pic. All the Mego figures together that have used the Bruce Wayne Sculpt, from left to right SI Bruce Wayne, RC Batman, Jet Jungle, Tex Willer and your Mystery Astronaut.

Between stuff like this and your AJ stuff,I admit to a little jealousy. But in a good way.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎