X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Toy Timelord
    Banned
    • Aug 4, 2014

Mail Away Figures!

Okay, we all like getting free stuff in the mail, so tell me, what are your favorite mailaway figures?

Star Wars was famous for its 'White Box Mailaways' they even do them to this day (the vintage style Rocketfett being an amazingly successful one!)

I was way too young to get any of the vintage Mailaways. Still always looking for a Super Powers Clark Kent.

I do have a vintage Belloq in ceremonial robe. I know he came carded too, but most of the ones I have encountered were the mailaway, but I don't have a mailer to prove it.

For current figures, I like The Crystal Skeleton of Akator from Indiana Jones.

So, which ones did you have? Which were your favorites?, and which ones do you still seek?

I'd love an original mailaway Boba Fett, with box, bag, and all paperwork, and Clark Kent in the same condition.

I also want the modern Vintage Style Rocket Fett.
  • Toy Timelord
    Banned
    • Aug 4, 2014

Another oldschool favorite was the Hooded Cobra Commander.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
      Persistent Member
      • Apr 28, 2013

The original 3.75 Cobra Commander and this little dude from the Action Man line in the UK....
      Today, your humble Joe A Day writer is attending Power-Con/Thunder-Con, the first convention dedicated to He-Man and Thundercats, two hugely popular 80’s toy and animation properties. Joe has…

Comment

• Red Hulk
        Career Member
        • Dec 19, 2012

Easily Boba Fett with Bossk as a close 2nd.The last mailaway I did was for either the GI Joe Manta or Duke.

Comment

• nazgul
          Lord of Light
          • May 2, 2011

The original Fett has got to be my all time fav..with the original faceplates Cobra Commander coming in a close second. I remember as a kid waiting forever for my Belloq...there are only something like 5 or so carded examples in existence, and I believe they were all salesman samples, so he was never available at retail. He's a pretty awesome figure though!

The he one I'm looking for is the mail away version of Major Bludd. He's quite rare. The figure is the same as the retail version, but his file card is a bit different. The only way you could get him was if you first ordered the Cobra Commander. If you did, hasbro sent you a post card with the offer for Major Bludd...I remember getting the postcard as a kid, but for some reason, I never sent away for him...
          You will always be your child's favorite toy. ~Vicki Lansky

Comment

• LordMudd
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 22, 2011

I got the Joe Fridge and Lifeline figures, from cereal boxes. I got the Sisko DS9 figure from Sega. I got 3 of the "cloaked" Predator figures, still have 1 or 2 around here somewhere. I miss the really good mail away offers from cereal companies.

Mattel totally tanked an opportunity with their DCIH line. The first figures out had "points" on them, but no explanation of what they were for. Later we were told to bring them to SDCC for a special figure. How many people cut those points for nothing? They already had their own mail order site in place, they should have used the points to give away special figures, like variants. It would have pushed sales of the figures in the retail market. Instead they dropped the whole thing after SDCC, and dropped the ball in the process.

CCC.

Comment

• Toy Timelord
              Banned
              • Aug 4, 2014

Agreed on the Infinite Heroes line, though I did end up with the SDCC Anti Monitor, as a friend ended up taking hundreds of the points with him to the con.

Comment

• Toy Timelord
                Banned
                • Aug 4, 2014

I like the concept of Bossk. A "Secret" figure. He seems pretty rare to find in box, which leads me to believe that people weren't keen on the idea. Maybe they were afraid "secret" meant "random" and didn't want to risk getting doubles?

Was not aware that Belloq was only available by mailaway. Thanks for the info!

Comment

• starsky
                  veteran member
                  • Aug 26, 2007

i remember mailing away for the star wars weapons and accessory pack!

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

I remember what a huge deal the Fruit Loops mail aways were in the 90's. don't think anyone cares now.

Clark Kent felt underwhelming

I feel like GI Joe RAH was the king of these promotions.

Last edited by samurainoir; Sep 24, '14, 12:56 PM.
                    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Toy Timelord
                      Banned
                      • Aug 4, 2014

The Hantrooper was through Froot Loops, Obi Wan was through Lay's.

But yeah, I remember them being HUGE when they first hit. Both are now incredibly easy to find, but I still see more Obis than Hans.

Both are great figures for the time, and well worth picking up cheap. Don't pay more than $10 for Han or $5 for Obi, though.

Comment

• Toy Timelord
                        Banned
                        • Aug 4, 2014

I think I still have some literature for the Steel Brigade, would love that Cobra Commander card, tho.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 28, 2008

Before the Clark Kent, Super Powers offered a mail away of Steppenwolf (which actually came ahead of the Apokolips figures hitting the stores, if I misremember not), and it came as a loose baggied figure along with a thin little record (the kind that required placing a coin on it so it played right) telling of a Superman adventure where he faced Steppenwolf. They later carded the figure, which made me think they might do the same with Clark Kent, but that, of course, never happened.
                          Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                          Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Toy Timelord
                            Banned
                            • Aug 4, 2014

There actually was plans to card Clark.

Comment

• cjefferys
                              Duke of Gloat
                              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Falstaff13
                              Before the Clark Kent, Super Powers offered a mail away of Steppenwolf (which actually came ahead of the Apokolips figures hitting the stores, if I misremember not), and it came as a loose baggied figure along with a thin little record (the kind that required placing a coin on it so it played right) telling of a Superman adventure where he faced Steppenwolf. They later carded the figure, which made me think they might do the same with Clark Kent, but that, of course, never happened.
                              I ordered a Steppenwolf, but I never got a record with him though (maybe Kenner Canada didn't include one but Kenner US did?). By this point I was a teenager, and my gears switched from playing to "collecting" toys. Around this time I also ordered a Hooded Cobra Commander, a Fridge figure and a bunch of figures from the first series of GI Joe RAH. I had little brochures (I can't remember where they came from) that allowed me to order a bunch of figures, (eg. Flash, Zap, Major Bludd, etc) really cheap. It might have been a Canada only thing perhaps? (not much of an expert on this toy line!)

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎