X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bizarro Amy
    Formerly known as Del
    • Dec 12, 2004

^^Oh no. That would be awful.
    Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
    https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, don't give them any ideas. This isn't Earth-Three...or is it?!?

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
        Talkative Member
        • Jul 7, 2007

Spacecaps point about Batman the Animated series being so dead on in its adaptation of the comics is really a great point. Timm and his team did such a good job of selecting what to take from the comics, what to leave behind, what to tweak and twist and what to totally ignore.

I'm hoping with Gotham, the production team will find a similar groove or something close pretty soon. I personally think the concept of the show is very fertile, but it needs to find some subtly and discretion. But it is a tight line to walk. For the most part, I felt SHEILD didn't tap into the MU enough last season, but Gotham's pilot made so many nods in one show I felt a little whiplash.

I am hoping for more of a Gotham Central vibe with the cops but still following Bruce's development.

I don't really have a problem with the anachronistic approach to the setting. The 70s look mixed with cell phones and updated tech is a fun aesthetic to me. Time and tech march on, but the corruption holds some things in check.

As a batman comic fan for me to enjoy the show, I'm going to have to look at this an alternate reality on the character and let go of preconceived notions, but as others stated there are issues with logic, pacing, tone and storytelling with the pilot that have nothing to do with it being a new spin on a familiar story.
        Last edited by madmarva; Sep 25, '14, 9:14 AM.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
          valar morghulis
          • Mar 8, 2005

So the young lady who witnessed the Wayne's murder and spent the ep skulking around was Catwoman? I was calling her "Crouchy Jane"

The pilot was definitely kinda meh, but that's pilots for ya. I'm a big fan of Bruno Heller's HBO series Rome, so I have little doubt the show will improve quickly.

Comment

• johnnystorm
            Hot Child in the City
            • Jul 3, 2008

I personally would buy a comic book entitled " The Adventures of Crouchy Jane". And I would watch the TV show too.

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Over all, I liked it. I'll give it a fair chance. The Actor playing Gordon is a solid choice and I can easily seeing him carrying the show. I'll keep watching. As for the violence...bring it on, I don't have kids! With the absence of Batman...I don't think any kid would be interested in watching it anyway.

P.S. I liked the Penguin more than I thought I would.
              sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

I think it goes a little over the top on the violence. Tonight's was a case in point for me. Was it really needed for Selina (or Cat or whatever she wants to call herself) to gouge out that one thug's eyes?

Comment

• ScottA
                  Original Member
                  • Jun 25, 2001

Boy, Penguin is a mean little snot, ain't he?
                  sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• madmarva
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jul 7, 2007

The pilot showed some promise to me, but the second episode was all over the place. Sappy dialogue, campy villains and a whole lot of melodrama and overacting. I had a hard time watching all the way through. I'm still on board but am moving toward the lifeboat.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

Anyone else finding it weird that Gordon's second wife is his boss?

Comment

• madmarva
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jul 7, 2007

^ Yeah, and I don't see those two having an affair based on their interaction in episode2.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

so, will the doll maker be Professor Pyg?
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                            Creature Of The Night
                            • May 14, 2011

Overall, I thought it was another good solid episode. Oswald is still the most interesting so far. Is it just me, or does Cat look like a young Michelle Pfeiffer? And Penguin seems to me like a hybrid of Paul Reubens & Danny Devito (sort of a father/son melding), while the Riddler seems to have a hint or two of Carrey in him.

Didn't care for the collectors so much, the characters seemed out of place, too anime. Bullock seemed off the mark in this one as well.

Comment

• Wee67
                              Museum Correspondent
                              • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by madmarva
                              The pilot showed some promise to me, but the second episode was all over the place. Sappy dialogue, campy villains and a whole lot of melodrama and overacting. I had a hard time watching all the way through. I'm still on board but am moving toward the lifeboat.
                              I feel like I'm in the same (life)boat. I really feel like dialogue is over the top and not in a good way. The overacting just makes it that much more glaring. I'm also finding I really have no connection or sympathy for any of the characters. It's hard to really care about any of them. I do agree that the Penguin is the most character so far.
                              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                                Wake Up Heavy
                                • Jan 31, 2010

I don't think I'm going to last too long with the show. Violence doesn't bother me, but here it seems like the only reason it's used is because the writers don't know how to handle anything with subtlety. And yes, the overacting and crappy dialogue is not helping.
                                Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎