Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WKRP the complete series-music restored for DVD release.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

WKRP the complete series-music restored for DVD release.

Sounds too good to be true but here's the article:

‘WKRP in Cincinnati: The Complete Series’ DVD Box Restores the Show’s Classic Rock Soundtrack

Read More: 'WKRP in Cincinnati: The Complete Series' DVD Box Restores the Show's Classic Rock Soundtrack | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/wkrp-...ckback=tsmclip

Like just about any TV series that made heavy use of original music during its run, ‘WKRP in Cincinnati’ has faced a thorny thicket of licensing problems in the home video era, and for the show’s previous rights holders, it was simply too expensive to put those episodes on DVD with their soundtrack intact. That all changes, however, with the Oct. 28 release of ‘WKRP in Cincinnati: The Complete Series.’
    Presented for the first time in all its musical glory, the 1978-82 sitcom about the lovable gang of misfits at a struggling radio station is receiving the deluxe box treatment courtesy of Shout! Factory, where staff have worked diligently behind the scenes to secure the rights for a long, long list of classic cuts. Although they weren’t successful in every instance — as the company admits on the box’s product page, “in a few cases, it was simply impossible” — they really did come pretty close, as you can see simply by taking a look at the impressive roll call of featured artists presented below.
    Currently available for pre-order through the Shout! website for $119.99, ‘WKRP in Cincinnati: The Complete Series’ collects the show’s 90-episode run on 13 discs, as well as a small assortment of bonus material that includes footage from the cast reunion staged at the Paley Center in Los Angeles on June 2, 2014.
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

That's awesome news!

Just for an additional laugh, they should put a disclaimer at the beginning of each episode. "The following artists and/or groups are jerks who wouldn't let their music be played." Then list them all...and see how they like that.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
      Museum Paramedic
      • Aug 31, 2005

That is great news, for sure!

It looks like Pink Floyd, (the) Eagles and The Beatles are some of the most conspicuous bands/artist missing. However, in regard to The Beatles, Paul McCartney and Wings are on the list.

- Ian
      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

The Wonder Years is also finally making it to DVD, with over 90 % of the music intact. Kudos to the folks who did the dirty work to get these out as best they can.

I love the Eagles, but they do come across as some of the greediest rockers out there at times. They were one of the prime movers who inflated ticket prices to insane amounts back in the 90s.

Useless WKRP fact: Gary Sandy lives here in my hometown. I saw him at the grocery store a few years back. I didn't bug him, he was busy scrutinizing produce.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          I love the Eagles, but they do come across as some of the greediest rockers out there at times. They were one of the prime movers who inflated ticket prices to insane amounts back in the 90s. Chris
          I agree. Love them too, but... Did you happen to see "The History of the Eagles"? It was great, but Glenn Frey didn't come off as the nicest guy around.

Speaking of "The Wonder Years"...great series with a lot of great music. Glad they got the rights to most of that great music. It plays a huge role in the series, of course.

Happy to see both of these series released onto DVD with the music, mostly, intact.

- Ian

Comment

• GlobalObserver
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 12, 2004

I love The Eagles, but Glenn and Don are notoriously greedy A**holes.

The absence of Pink Floyd's "Dogs" will be a big loss. That's a classic scene.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I agree. Love them too, but... Did you happen to see "The History of the Eagles"? It was great, but Glenn Frey didn't come off as the nicest guy around.
              I haven't seen it, but I'd like to. I don't know the details of what happened with Don Felder, but I feel he probably got screwed.

And yes, the Wonder Years is a series that really can't exist without it's music.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

I'm glad they are releasing the WKRP set. A great show.

As for the Eagles, Henley and Frey aren't warm and cuddly, and they and their manager Irving Azoff ("He's Satan, but he's our Satan," Henley once said) are hyper-protective of their brand, but as a corporation the band is fairy generous with donations to charities in each city it plays.

It's a shame Felder is no longer with the band. While Walsh is a bigger name bc of his work in the James Gang and as a solo act, Felder's guitar is the Eagles sound after their first two albums. And as great a player as Steuart Smith, Felder's replacement is, there is a difference in concert.

Felder is still getting paid or got a lump sum payment from the band in a settlement before he released his autobiography. The terms of the settlement were confidential, but it's possible he still owns a part of the band without being a playing member or the band bought him out.

I see both sides of the story. Felder owned a fifth of the Eagles before they stopped playing together in 1980. He was brought in as a full partner when making their third album and contributed significantly to the band thereafter.

When the band reunited in 1994, Henley and Frey wanted a bigger piece of the pie because they were more in demand as solo acts and evidently Felder, Walsh and Schmidt were OK with it at the time because they got back together.

It seems Felder became disenchanted over the payments he received for The MTV reunion DVD and a later one taped in Australia around the turn of the century. Or that's when it came to a head. His name was also moved to the back of the publishing credit for Hotel California. Originally his name was listed before Henley and Frey's.

The History of the Eagles DVD is fairly even-handed on the subject. But you can tell Henley is really bitter over the subject. My understanding is Frey didn't want Felder to be a part of the reunion to begin with, but Henley talked him into it, and then the whole thing blows up again.

Felder's basic assertion in his book is that when the Eagles hit it big, Henley and Frey began to treat the other members of the band as employees rather than equals, and indicates their domination of the band drove off Bermie Leadon and Randy Meisner. He also wrote that Walsh and Schmidt felt the same way.

It may not be that black and white.

Again I can see both sides. To me it's just a shame, Felder is not playing with them anymore because I love his guitar work and the band is better with him, but Felder's not a very good singer or lyricist based on his most recent album.
                Last edited by madmarva; Sep 18, '14, 5:44 PM.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

^ Agree one thousand percent in regard to Felder and missing him as part of the Eagles.

- Ian

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

It's not okay for them to have The Eagles music on the WKRP DVD but it was okay for wrestler Terry Funk to use "Desperado" as his entrance theme?

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Great news! I'll be picking that up.

Comment

• phil
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 11, 2007

Great news on WKRP. Always loved that show.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Love the show but not enough to buy it twice - speaking figuratively

Comment

• johnmiic
                            Adrift
                            • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by Mikey
                            Love the show but not enough to buy it twice - speaking figuratively
                            Did they release the whole series w/o the music restored or only season 1 a few years ago?

Comment

• apes3978
                              Permanent Member
                              • Nov 19, 2005

According to TVShowsonDVD.com, just season one was available:

Find a list of new movie and TV releases on DVD and Blu-ray (updated weekly) as well as a calendar of upcoming releases on home video.

Originally posted by johnmiic
                              Did they release the whole series w/o the music restored or only season 1 a few years ago?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎