Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which would you own a radio station or television station?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimsmegos
    Mego Dork
    • Nov 9, 2008

Which would you own a radio station or television station?

Hypothesizing here....

Given you had the opportunity to own your own radio or television station which would you choose and why?

For me I'd go radio. Why? Because IMO radio still has the immediacy that television can't. Also I think people may primarily listen to the radio in their car or at work but that time spent would be significantly more that time spent watching "live" television. Live of course meaning real time and not actually a live program.

What say you?
  • boss
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 18, 2003

It probably depends on the DMA.

30 years ago... TV (hands down). Today... neither.
    Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• rche
      channeling Bob Wills
      • Mar 26, 2008

radio is great, and I think the podcast is the modern take on programming.

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

What's great about radio, is you can create any environment you want, with almost zero budget. You can build any set or location with audio that conjures up an image in the listener's mind that a television budget would never allow affordably.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Morning talk radio

It's cheap and millions of people listen

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

Radio. I'd rather work with people that are more like on WKRP or NewsRadio than people that were on Murphy Brown.

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

From a total business perspective...No money in radio, AM or FM. Compared to operating costs vs ad rates.

TV is lucrative as ever right now. If you can brand a local affiliate like METV did and then have it carried, you're set.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

TV, more dinero, lol.
                Last edited by Hector; Sep 16, '14, 6:53 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                  Radio. I'd rather work with people that are more like on WKRP or NewsRadio than people that were on Murphy Brown.
                  I don't know if you yourself have worked in either...but speaking on behalf of my sister, who worked on both radio and TV in the late 80s to mid 90s (San Francisco), she said they both equally had good and bad things (big egos was one of the bad ones for instance). If she had to choose one over the other again, she'd choose radio over TV. At KSFO, she had great managers, lots of perks, such as free tickets to A's games (went to two World Series), and tons of concerts, some backstage passes...lots of trips, and free lunches and dinners. No such thing at the local TV station (KGO, and ABC affiliate).

She was also a high school teacher for seven years, and she hated it, every time she sees a teenager, she wants to strangle them, lol.

But she's glad she left all that behind for a totally different and more rewarding career now.
                  sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

Like I said,I'm just going by what those TV shows had. Just saying I don't think I'd want to work with a Murphy Brown type of person.

Comment

• Godzilla
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 3, 2002

I love the movie UHF. I'd have to onw a Tv station so I could have my own weird collection of shows like that.
                      Mortui Vivos Docent
                      The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
                        Career Member
                        • Jul 30, 2012

I've always been more interested in radio than TV. If I owned a radio station, the people I'd be in touch with for jobs would be Spike O'Neil and 'Downtown' Joe Bryant(formerly with The Bob Rivers Show), Steve Slaton(formerly with KZOK & KJR-FM Seattle), Michael Ricker(formerly with KISW Seattle), Jason Swank & Jimmy Mac McInerny(currently with Rebel Force Radio), and Jason & Brian(Pod Stallions). Oh yeah, can't forget about Brian Phelps(former half of the Mark & Brian Radio Program) and Kerri Kasem(we all know who her dad was).

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎