X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Spotlight: Funko Universal Monster Reaction Figures

Any reader of this blog can ascertain two things a) I like monsters and b) I'm fond of 3 3/4" action figurs. So it shouldn't come as a big shock that when Funko made it's announcement they were going to conquer the world with Kenner style figures, I was pretty excited.

I'll admit the majority of the properties didn't entice me (I've never even seen the Goonies) but I pre ordered the Universal Monsters before I even saw what they look like, I just know me.

It did make me wonder though if they could really top my beloved Remco Monsters, the results after the jump:

The card art is probably my favorite UM design in years. It was hard to pop them off the cards but in the end, I did the deed.

The packaging fits in all too well with other monster lines. From left to right: Glasslite Dracula, Remco Dracula and Funko Drac.

Likeness isn't always there and I know some folks want sideshow quality in everything, but me? I like a little "clunk" in my toys so I'm kind of smitten with the way these look.

There are glow in the dark chase figures floating around, I was not lucky enough to get a golden ticket so I will be actively searching for them at retail.

The Phantom of the Opera is the Standout for me, he's got some nice little details.

It's weird but I'm always in a panic to get the Creature in every set, I forgot to order the Bride but history has shown her as something of a peg warmer, so I look forward to finding her at retail.

These photos are all well and good but how do they stack up next to the Remco Monsters?

Judge for yourself.

I should point out the irony that BOTH wolfman figures has trouble standing.

At ten bucks a pop, I could not recommend these more.

I got mine at Entertainment Earth (Use this link and I get a bit of store credit) but they should be hitting local comic shops too and they can always use support.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

Those are fantastic! I think Invisible Man is my favorite one.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Toy Timelord
      Banned
      • Aug 4, 2014

Gotta get Frank, Creach, And the Mummy.

Drac and Hawley are maybes.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Those are absolutely gorgeous...how they ended up so much better than the rest of the Funko stuff is a mystery, but I'll be adding them to my collection.

Great review and pics.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
          Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
          • Jan 22, 2008

I like em. You can't get much for $10 these days. I would have liked to have seen a side by side by side comparison with the BK universal monsters too (just sayin').

Comment

• Bantha5
            Museum Super Collector
            • May 2, 2013

The only other reaction figures I have interest in beside the initial Alien run. I too wonder how they could have gotten the other figures so wrong. I favor the remco head sculpts for Frankie and Drac, but I'm happy with everything else. Thanks for the Review. Ryan

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Awesome! Thank you for posting these pictures. I think the Remco Frank still has a better head sculpt and I would have liked the Dracula to have red on the inside of the cape like the Remco one. But other than that, they are absolutely fantastic.

I love the 3 3/4 inch Kenner style but have been very disappointed in the license choices so far. It's either stuff I have little interest in, like Goonies, or things like Pulp Fiction which I think are poor choices for a Kenner homage line. No way Kenner would have made a Gimp figure in 70s or 80s. Stuff like that just kills the illusion of these being Kenner era figures. But Universal Monsters, I am so there.

Hopefully Funko will focus more on retro licenses actually from the Kenner era, like Universal Monsters and less of more modern stuff like Pulp Fiction. I'd love stuff like Black Hole, Tron and Dark Crystal. Modern stuff like Firefly or Pulp Fiction are any easy pass for me.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

These are wonderful!

No Monster's Bride yet?
                Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 14, '14, 6:53 PM.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
                  I like em. You can't get much for $10 these days. I would have liked to have seen a side by side by side comparison with the BK universal monsters too (just sayin').
                  I would have done it but it would require a LENGTHY search through my kid's rooms. Sometimes I see the Wolfman....
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

The Burger King Universal Monsters are absolutely amazing by kid's meal standards. Probably the best action figures ever released in a kid's meal. But they don't come close to the Remcos or Reaction figures in my opinion.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ScottA
                      Original Member
                      • Jun 25, 2001

I'd bite if I saw them.
                      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

I would have done it but it would require a LENGTHY search through my kid's rooms. Sometimes I see the Wolfman....
                        Yeah, my BK figures disappeared into my kid's toys YEARS ago.

These are really nice. I now need a set. Thanks Brian! Funko should send you a check.

I agree Drac and Frankie looked better from Remco, but I like the Funko Creech and Wolfman better. Is it just me, or does the Mummy look more like Tom Tyler's Kharis?

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• SeattleEd
                          SynthoRes Transmigrator
                          • Oct 24, 2007

Now those are some beautiful photos, Brian. This line is a total win.
                          Looking forward to the posting of the clear invisible man.

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

How is the vinyl for the capes? Does it have that wonderful smell like the old Kenner's?

Comment

• FETT1
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 4, 2012

Originally posted by Werewolf
                              The Burger King Universal Monsters are absolutely amazing by kid's meal standards. Probably the best action figures ever released in a kid's meal. But they don't come close to the Remcos or Reaction figures in my opinion.
                              Their kid's meal toys..they are super for that greasy food price
                              if it AIN'T a toy..I DON'T WANT IT !!!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎