Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Very nice collection. Like Brian, I loved the merchandise associated with the '76 film but I don't think I even saw the movie back then.

I finally picked up a plush version like I had as a kid. I had no idea those plush Kongs were Mego products until I joined the Museum some years back.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

Small update to my collection, I picked up a couple promotional pins in Japan ("King Kong Lives" was released as "King Kong 2" in Japan)

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Fascinating! Never seen the Kong 2 pin. Very cool. The pride and joy of my Kong '76 collection continues to be a piece of Kong himself. It's a keychain that contain strands from the Kong robot. It was a promotional campaign for of all things, jeans.

Here's the ad...

And here's the packet that came with a purchase...

Inside here's the keychain on one side...

Flip it over and here's a snippet of Kong's hair.

Comment

• FETT1
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 4, 2012

KoOL......awesome collection ...THANK YOU for sharing !
          if it AIN'T a toy..I DON'T WANT IT !!!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

This is a cool kite from the movie.

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by cjefferys
              Small update to my collection, I picked up a couple promotional pins in Japan ("King Kong Lives" was released as "King Kong 2" in Japan)

I think we were just chatting about how this was one of the few times I got told not to take pictures while we were on our toy shopping spree in Nakano.
              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Confessional
                Maker & Whatnot
                • Aug 8, 2012

^^ I never get tired of seeing that classic '76 Kong artwork in all its incarnations.

Who's the artist on that original piece?
                Last edited by Confessional; Apr 16, '15, 1:23 PM. Reason: … editing!

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Kong stuff from Nakano Broadway Mall in Tokyo. I have not doubt Chris was sorely tempted by some of this stuff.

kong1.jpg
                  kong2.jpg
                  kong3.jpg
                  kong4.jpg

the pic that got me told...
                  kongbuttons.jpg
                  Last edited by samurainoir; Apr 16, '15, 1:32 PM.
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by MIB41
                    Fascinating! Never seen the Kong 2 pin. Very cool. The pride and joy of my Kong '76 collection continues to be a piece of Kong himself. It's a keychain that contain strands from the Kong robot. It was a promotional campaign for of all things, jeans.
                    That's awesome! How hard is it to find one of those these days?

Originally posted by samurainoir
                    I think we were just chatting about how this was one of the few times I got told not to take pictures while we were on our toy shopping spree in Nakano.
                    Yeah, we were talking about it at the show last Sunday. You were about to take a shot of them then the shopkeeper brought the hammer down. So I just grabbed them off the wall and bought them. Oh wait, I just saw your post above, you managed to get a pic of them after all, cool!
                    Last edited by cjefferys; Apr 16, '15, 6:29 PM.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by samurainoir
                      Kong stuff from Nakano Broadway Mall in Tokyo. I have not doubt Chris was sorely tempted by some of this stuff.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]14935[/ATTACH]
                      The Kong vinyl on the right is a toy that I've been trying to find for years. Bullmark made it under sublicense from Mego (who had the Kong master license at the time), but it's near impossible to find. Seeing a loose one like this selling for about $450.00 made me kind of depressed....

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

Awesome Kong gear!
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by cjefferys
                          That's awesome! How hard is it to find one of those these days?
                          Thanks! Boy that's a tough question. When I was thick into rebuilding my Kong '76 collection about 20 years ago, it was a different marketplace and availability (not to mention pricing) was a different animal. I do remember this not being a very common item, but that doesn't mean it's not available today. Like most things, how you search for it often plays the biggest role in what you find. I went out there this morning and typed in "Kong jeans" and actually found a full color ad for the jeans and offer, but no auctions for the piece itself. I would play around with that search and I'm sure if you stay at it, eventually it will pop up. Having an actual piece of Kong himself is a worthwhile search. If I come across it again, I will certainly shoot you a PM and give you the link.

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

Late to the party on this, but WOWEEEEE!! This is a fun collection. That crazy Kong with the open mouth that all the licensing used was terrific. I love, love, love that poster. I think it's one of the all time greatest movie posters by John Berkey. He did so many variation posters on the theme, it's fun to check those out. The latest soundtrack release by Film Score Monthly shows lots of them in the booklet. Everytime I go to my local toy show, I pass the Kong drinking glasses and say, one of these days...

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎