X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

KONG!

I was taking some pics in my toy room and thought I'd show the progress so far on my 1976 King Kong collection. I recently picked up three of the four glasses released by Coca-Cola, and here they are pictured alongside the 24" and 15" stuffed Mego Kongs, the Mego Kong bop bag, the 6" vinyl released by Onda in Japan (sublicensed by Mego), the original Japanese film program, and a huge 7' 4" x 2' 10" poster released by Homedecor (I wish I had room to hang it up somewhere!). Now I'm on the lookout for additions to the collection like the awesome Mego King Kong Against the World game, the other vinyl figure released in Japan by Bullmark (impossible to find, I've been looking for years!) and a couple other Japanese odds and ends like the diecast Kong by Ark.

I wasn't sure if this should go here, in Mego Talk, Toy Room central or the monster movie section, so I just threw it here!
  • Fitski
    Veteran Member
    • May 19, 2013

Very cool collection! I've never seen the Kong bop bag that's an awesome piece!

Comment

• mazinz
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 2, 2007

Super nice!!!!
      "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• Evel KMego
        Museum Daredevil
        • Apr 26, 2006

Love the Large plush and the Bop Bag! I will keep an eye out for the 4th glass for you. It's the pic of Kong standing on top of the towers. These Kong glasses are really common in Southern Indiana flea markets, antique shops, etc. because they were released by Burger Chef, which was centered in this area. It seemed like everyone around here had them when I was a kid!!

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

Great Kong collection! Love the plushes.

I had almost forgot about Burger Chef until it was a big deal on Mad Med last season. I remember the one on First Ave. in Evansville, Evel. (I had also forgotten about the Burger Chef murders in Indianapolis. Google that...wow.)

Again, great King Kong collection! Too bad that you don't have two of the bop bags...with one out and full of air! That would be awesome!

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• apes3978
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 19, 2005

Cool collection you have going... Hope you're able to find the rest of your wants...

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Always up for some Kong '76 love. Looking great!

Comment

• El Hombre Nuclear
                Museum Super Collector
                • Sep 5, 2014

That boxed bop bag (alliteration!) is sweet indeed. The only bop bag I ever had as a child (the 1975 Weebles model, which is probably the most logical bop bag ever released, if you think about it) lasted all of about a week, so I'm guessing that fully intact examples of these things must be quite tough to find.

Regarding the Japanese items, I've always found it hilarious that the Arklon Kong was released as a fully licensed product over there since, you know, it's a robot with giant switchblades coming out of its nipples and stuff. Maybe De Laurentiis should have put that in the script... As for the Bullmark vinyl, I seem to remember reading that it may have been the very last thing they produced before going under, hence its scarcity. Of course, Bullmark vinyl has always been synonymous with bat guano cray-cray prices regardless. Hope you find it someday!

By the way, have you seen the Shouchan keshigomu that were released back then? They're kind of amusing:

Last edited by El Hombre Nuclear; Sep 15, '14, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Epic stuff! I'm not the biggest fan of the film but it's merchandise has a really strong nostalgic effect on me. Kong mania was huge in '76.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• rche
                    channeling Bob Wills
                    • Mar 26, 2008

I love that pic on the program. Brings back all sors of 70s Kong mojo for me.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Thanks folks, it's something that I've slowly been working on over the years. I forgot about some other stuff I should probably get someday too, like the puzzles, trading cards and view master sets.

Originally posted by EmergencyIan

Too bad that you don't have two of the bop bags...with one out and full of air! That would be awesome!
                      Yeah, I would love to have an inflated bop bag on display too. The one I have is sealed, never used, so that one is going to stay as is, and unfortunately it's a pretty scarce item, so I don't know how much luck I'd have finding a used one.

Originally posted by El Hombre Nuclear

Regarding the Japanese items, I've always found it hilarious that the Arklon Kong was released as a fully licensed product over there since, you know, it's a robot with giant switchblades coming out of its nipples and stuff. Maybe De Laurentiis should have put that in the script...
                      Yeah, it's funny how that turned out. The back of the box has the painting from the movie poster and everything. The interesting thing is that when Ark packaged these for (limited) US distribution, the Kong box was stripped of all the copyrighted stuff, it was renamed "Mech Gorilla" and the movie poster was removed from the back of the box. That's why I would only be interested in the Japanese packaged version of the toy.

As for the Bullmark vinyl, I seem to remember reading that it may have been the very last thing they produced before going under, hence its scarcity. Of course, Bullmark vinyl has always been synonymous with bat guano cray-cray prices regardless. Hope you find it someday!
                      I never thought of that. Bullmark did go under in '76 I believe, so that would explain the rarity of this item. That doesn't give me much hope!

By the way, have you seen the Shouchan keshigomu that were released back then? They're kind of amusing:

I've never seen these packaged, ok, this is on my list now too! Thanks for the heads up.

Originally posted by palitoy
                      Epic stuff! I'm not the biggest fan of the film but it's merchandise has a really strong nostalgic effect on me. Kong mania was huge in '76.
                      That's how it hits me, I was never a huge fan of the film, but it's imagery has always stuck with me, I love it. I had the theatrical poster tacked on my wall for years when I was a kid, and I had the huge puzzle that incorporated all the promotional paintings done for the film, I was constantly playing with that puzzle. I guess that's why this stuff is so nostalgic for me.

Comment

• LadyZod
                        Superman's Gal Pal
                        • Jan 27, 2007

I keep meaning to pick up the plushes for my husband (he's the big 76 Kong collector in the house.) But something always gets in the way.

Love seeing the collection you've got going.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                        Check out my art:
                        Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                        Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Very nice collection.
                          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mongoose1983
                            Career Member
                            • May 14, 2010

What a fantastic collection!
                            www.tamiyaclub.com/member.asp?id=23692

Comment

• Brave Ulysses
                              • Jul 7, 2013

Excellent collection,I have the stuffed 15 inch Kong as well.The Coke glasses are incredible.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎