X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • El Hombre Nuclear
    Museum Super Collector
    • Sep 5, 2014

Japanese Big Jim

I came across these recently, and thought they might be of interest to Big Jim fans. The first image is of a rarely seen Japanese carded outfit. There don't seem to be any images of these in the western Big Jim collecting world, and even in Japan this stuff is very obscure and poorly documented. The Japanese text on the bottom left describes Big Jim as an "adventure and sports action fighter" and lists some of the other available outfits. I've seen a few others not listed on the card, so it seems that a majority of the '72-'74 sports/outdoorsman outfits did get a Japanese release.

The second image is perhaps the more interesting of the two, taken from the side-panel of the Japan-exclusive "Kaidanji Ken Karate Set". Kaidanji basically just means "nice guy" and he's described as "Big Jim's friend", so basically a martial-arts themed version of Big Josh, etc. He seems to be the only other figure (aside from the basic Big Jim) released in Japan, but he came in at least a couple of different varieties, all seemingly packaged with re-purposed stuff from the Karate Studio playset. Now, the interesting thing is that the boxes for these list a number of different sets or outfits (it's not really clear which), none of which are confirmed to have ever been seen, at least as far as I can tell. The coolest looking one is found in this image, called "Surounin Ken", a surounin being a type of independent, masterless samurai.

This is my first try at uploading images here, so please let me know if they don't show up properly.

• cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

Very cool! I don't recall ever seeing any vintage Big Jim stuff for sale in Japan, so they must not be that commonly found.

Comment

• El Hombre Nuclear
      Museum Super Collector
      • Sep 5, 2014

Originally posted by cjefferys
      Very cool! I don't recall ever seeing any vintage Big Jim stuff for sale in Japan, so they must not be that commonly found.
      Yeah, they're definitely not too common, although I don't think anyone really bothers looking for them, either. These sorts of "outdoor adventure" toy lines (a la Adventure People, etc.) were probably about as far away from what Japanese kids were interested in in the 70s/80s as you could get, so the early Big Jim stuff seems to be the only example that even made it over there. Alas, this kind of thing is a weird childhood obsession of mine ("70s hippie toys", as a friend of mine once put it), so I'm always on the lookout...

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

I love foreign stuff, thanks for posting!
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• apes3978
          Permanent Member
          • Nov 19, 2005

Agreed... Even if it's something I'm not necessarily interested in, seeing the way things were/are packaged & marketed for foreign markets can be cool to see...

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
          I love foreign stuff, thanks for posting!

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

Too cool! Never seen a Japanese variant. Very nice.

Comment

• El Hombre Nuclear
              Museum Super Collector
              • Sep 5, 2014

Thought I'd throw in a couple more images, for anyone that might be interested. They're the front and back of one of the Kaidanji Ken sets I mentioned previously. As you can see, even though Ken is supposed to be Big Jim's buddy, it's actually just a regular Jim thrown in with Big Jeff's bamboo accessory, sans machete to make it look more martial-artsy. Yeah, they just didn't give a crap... But the back is quite interesting, as it shows two of Ken's Japan-exclusive (and unconfirmed to actually exist) outfits, the previously mentioned Surounin Ken (here simply called "Samurai") and the "Kendo no Tatsujin" (Kendo Master) set, which you can actually see Jim (ahem, I mean "Ken") modeling on the bottom section, so perhaps that one did see a limited release...

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎