X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Bride of Frankenstein on Super Mates

It's part one of our Halloween Horror series, The House of Franklin-Stein! Cindy and I discuss the immortal Bride of Frankenstein, and Superman #344, featuring Supes vs. Frankie and Dracula!

Chris
    sigpic
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

How can Frankie and Drac possibly compete with Supes?

One punch from Supes would pulverize Frankie, and one single heat vision blast would crispy fry Drac, lol.
    sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Well, with Drac, one word...MAGIC!

I know, it's the bane of every Super-fan's existence: "I have a problem with magic". But that's the excuse here, for both of them for some reason. I kind of makes sense...but not really.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Oh fun, fun. I'm listening now! These are great Chris.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Thanks Tom. We really had a blast with this one. Who doesn't love the Bride?

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            Well, with Drac, one word...MAGIC!

I know, it's the bane of every Super-fan's existence: "I have a problem with magic". But that's the excuse here, for both of them for some reason. I kind of makes sense...but not really.

Chris
            But all the magic in the world would not save Dracula from on single little tiny heat vision blast from Supes.

If a human can kill Dracula with a wooden stake and fire...why not Superman?

I like your quote..."the Bane of every Superman fans' existence"... Good one, lol.
            sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Great episode. I think what stands out about Bride is just how ahead of it's day it really was, when compared with it's contemporaries not only of it's genre, but throughout the film industry. There are so many ideas in this film that are part of mainstream film making today, it's hard to list them all: A thematic score; a story layered in subtext and allegory; pathos in character building; plus effects and props that lend themselves to those messages. It seems almost impossible a film from that era (let alone that genre) could carry so much influence for the craft, but it's plainly there. I often wonder how much of the subtext and allegory went right over the censors, critics, and audiences of it's day. Whale had to be smiling at the degree of social commentary he was able to express through the guise of a "horror film" without many catching it on the front end. If you could transport him from that period into today's industry, he would be the top guest on every talk show and likely a tabloid regular.
              Last edited by MIB41; Sep 8, '14, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^Agreed Tom. I can imagine Whale snickering to himself as he sat in the screen room with Universal execs, censors, you name it.

The film works on so many levels. For a kid it's got monsters, and plenty of action. For your average adult not reading much into it, it's got pathos and a gripping story. It's the total package, and few could have put it together like Whale.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jul 7, 2007

Hey Chris, I enjoyed the podcast quite a bit. After mentioning that you'd like to see a film adaption of Dracula that is closer to the novel, it's funny that you mentioned how much Swan's Dracula resembled Louis Jordan. The Jordan version which I originally remember seeing in serialized form on PBS as a kid is the closest adaption I've seen to the novel. It's very slow by today's standards, but it's the only version I've seen that has all of Lucy's suitors. Not that that one aspect is all that important, but it's very faithful and for a fan of the novel it's nice to see.

Oh, and it's really cool that your wife enjoys monsters, super heroes and the Rankin-Bass Christmas specials. Hope the two of you do some Christmas shows around the holidays.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^I really need to get that Jordan version, and the Jesus Franco film with Lee. Those are the only "major" version I haven't seen, to my knowledge. I understand the Jordan version is quite good, and as you said, pretty faithful.

No definite plans for our Christmas episodes as of yet, but you can bet the farm we will have some fun yuletide themes going on!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• isaacbradly
                      • Nov 28, 2013

I haven't seen this episode and i guess most has a good feedback about the bride.
                      Celebrity NewslMovie NewslTV Show News

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎