Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MEGO THOR wristbands & Vinyl cape pattern variations... experts please help!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XXXPHOENIX
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 26, 2008

MEGO THOR wristbands & Vinyl cape pattern variations... experts please help!

Hello...
    In the last few days I went through my loose WGSH collection in order to spot any repro part I may have missed when I bought them...and I found a couple of weird things about my Thors.

I own four Loose Thors:
    1. T2 standard cape, dark stitching lines Wristbands
    2. T2 standard cape, Monocolour pink Wristbands
    3. T2 Vinyl cape version 1, Monocolour pink Wristbands
    4. T2 Vinyl cape version 2, Monocolour Dark pink Wristbands

The first weird thing concerns the wristbands; as far as I know there are two versions of Thor's wristbands:
    One has 2 dark stitching lines going through them, one is just pink and plain.

But if you compare 4. vs 2. you can see that my Thor 4. has dark pink wristbands. They look exactly identical to the pink wristbands: same material same type of seam......just darker.
    ..Are they original?
    They don't look repro to me but I never heard anything about this dark pink wristband.
    Thor's wristbands' have not been factory reproduced...as far as I know.

Tomorrow I will also like to open a discussion about the Thor Vinyl cape version(s)....yes versions, because my two Vinyl cape Thors have a very different vinyl pattern...

Ciao!
    Federico
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Hmm.

I thought the wristbands with decorative stitching came on boxed Thor (mine did).

Could the pink bands be faded--this is new to me.

My childhood Thor--carded--had unstitched bands & a cloth cape. According to Benjamin Holcomb, the vinyl cape appeared on some later, carded figures.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• XXXPHOENIX
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 26, 2008

HI PNGwynne!

Maybe 2. could be wearing the "wrong" wristbands...but who knows...? I got it from a guy who had owned it for decades...

The real doubt concerns the wristband colour of 4. : darker pink than the other wristbands (either with or without stitching lines)
      1. T2 standard cape, dark stitching lines Wristbands
      2. T2 standard cape, Monocolour pink Wristbands
      3. T2 Vinyl cape version 1, Monocolour pink Wristbands
      4. T2 Vinyl cape version 2, Monocolour Dark pink Wristbands

Anyway...In next pictures you can see my 4 Loose Thors posing for you!

Have I discovered a variant Vinil cape? The guy with darker pink wristbands (4.) also wears a thicker and darker vinyl cape than the other one (3.) even if the tissue pattern is practically identical.

Uhm...I have a theory...I double checked my Carded 1975 Thor and I noticed that either the wristbands or the vinyl cape look very similar to my loose 4.
      Could it be possible that 1975 and 1979 carded Thors wore variant vinyl capes and wristbands????

Federico
      Last edited by XXXPHOENIX; Sep 7, '14, 4:47 PM.

Comment

• josephcardone
        Persistent Member
        • Jun 10, 2010

I think the wristbands are faded but the vinyl cape variation - Hmmmm - very interesting. I have been getting into the vinyl capes a bit too - I know there is a Batman variation so maybe a Thor as well! What does the other side look like on these?

Comment

• XXXPHOENIX
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 26, 2008

sorry...i did not notice your reply!

You can see the other side in this picture:

The thicker and darker vinyl cape has a lighter texture on the "other side"

Federico

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
            • Feb 27, 2014

I have nothing to add other than Mego just killed it with the Thor figure, such a nice job. Very jealous of your collection.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎