X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imp
    Mego Book Author
    • Apr 20, 2003

Mego Book Now Available Digitally

Well, I suppose Hell has finally frozen over.

I have always been vocally against a digital version of my book. The idea of people reading it on an iPad or other tablet kind of makes my skin crawl. However, folks have made it clear they would rather steal an illegal bootleg of my book rather than pay for an actual hardcover on the aftermarket. And while I don't make any money from either of those sources, I always hoped people would enjoy the material as it was intended: A tactile, full-color, oversized hardcover beast.

I recently learned that illegal copies of my book have been downloaded over 14,000 times… and that's just from one bit torrent site alone. While we can't do anything to stop thieves, we can at least offer a LEGAL VERSION, generated from my original source files. Here's the info from my publisher, for those interested in purchasing a legitimate digital copy of the book:
    The ordering link for the Mego book is:

TwoMorrows Publishing - SUBSCRIPTIONS ALMOST SOLD OUT! BUNDLES CATALOG BOOKS MAGAZINES FREE stuff! In PREVIEWS Now! DIGITAL Only comics, comic books, cartoonists, art, Jack Kirby, Lego, Brick Journal

It's priced at $13.95. Feel free to spread that link around.

I'm also adding it to our app, which can be downloaded here:

App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id767332506?mt=8

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hingcomicbooks

For those who have been turned off by the after-market prices the book typically realizes, I hope this comes as good news. I'll be curious to hear what folks think of the digital version of this book, as viewed on a tablet or other device.

- Benjamin
  • Bronxboykev
    Permanent Member
    • Mar 7, 2011

Ben

Just curious, the 14,000 illegal digital downloads, is that what prompted the digital book. And if so why not another printing???

Comment

• Bronxboykev
      Permanent Member
      • Mar 7, 2011

Oh yea and I would def buy it thru the I tunes store. Just to have access at work or on the road. You never know when your going to need that reference

Comment

• Timothy2251
        Jerks beef with Ten Bears
        • Mar 15, 2008

Get paid at the end of the week and am going for the legal digital version!
        "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Hopefully your legal version will recoup some of your losses.
          Last edited by enyawd72; Sep 2, '14, 8:28 PM.

Comment

• SentientApe
            Career Member
            • May 1, 2014

The cover price of your book is (unless I am mistaken) $49.95. At that price, I would purchase a copy in a heartbeat, if my wife did not beat me to it.

I recently discovered she has been monitoring every single eBay auction for a copy to give me as a gift -- only just missing the one "reasonably overpriced" copy that recently sold. I have insisted in the strongest possible terms that she refuse to overpay, as I do not want the book so badly as to accept a markup of 250% to 500%. In fact, I would loathe any gift that involved such a foolish waste of money.

"Hey, I have this Mego book and need quick cash -- how much is it worth?" Answer: "I paid $125 for mine" Result: it gets posted on eBay with a starting bid of $125, and with a "Buy It Now" price of $250, accompanied with a "Don't Ever Trust Me" stigma on the seller.

Cover price? You betcha. I might even pick up a back-up copy.

Reasonable markup? Sure, if that's my only option.

Malicious scalper? Nope. There are far more valuable and useful outlets for my money.

Comment

• ubermanx
              Career Member
              • Jul 3, 2013

Bought the digital copy. It will be an excellent companion to the print copy I picked up for cover price this year.

- Marty

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by SentientApe
                "Hey, I have this Mego book and need quick cash -- how much is it worth?" Answer: "I paid $125 for mine" Result: it gets posted on eBay with a starting bid of $125, and with a "Buy It Now" price of $250, accompanied with a "Don't Ever Trust Me" stigma on the seller.

Cover price? You betcha. I might even pick up a back-up copy.

Reasonable markup? Sure, if that's my only option.

Malicious scalper? Nope. There are far more valuable and useful outlets for my money.
                Umm, so would you consider purchasing a digital copy instead?
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• johnmiic
                  Adrift
                  • Sep 6, 2002

If Woody, errrr, Benjamin Holcomb, had simply approved of a Digital Copy in the first place, maybe less that 14,000 illegal downloads would have happened...

Comment

• megoscott
                    Founding Partner
                    • Nov 17, 2006

It looks pretty freakin great on iPad, Ben.
                    This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Well done, I am an anti-tablet guy so I completely understood your original mantra but I think the market is too big to ignore/deprive. Rack Toys will be a digital download this Christmas as well.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• SentientApe
                        Career Member
                        • May 1, 2014

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        Umm, so would you consider purchasing a digital copy instead?

I will probably do so by the end of the week. I agree that the digital copy is no substitute for a "hard copy" book; the ownership of a (legal!) digital copy would not replace the desire or search for the "real thing," but I could at least be able to read the content.

Comment

• imp
                          Mego Book Author
                          • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by Bronxboykev
                          Just curious, the 14,000 illegal digital downloads, is that what prompted the digital book. And if so why not another printing???
                          Yes, the illegal downloads is what prompted us to release the digital version. It's hard to say how many of those 14k downloads represent any potential sales. Probably very few. (Bearing in mind these are people who did not pay a penny, just shamelessly stole it.)

We really have no strong indications we could sell the requisite 3,000 hard copies of a second edition at cover price. But we can probably move a few digital copies at thirteen or fourteen bucks.

Originally posted by MegoScott
                          It looks pretty freakin great on iPad, Ben.
                          I'm very pleased to hear that, Scott. I value and trust your opinion, so it's a relief to hear that coming from you.

- Benjamin

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                            Permanent Member
                            • Mar 7, 2011

It looks great on the I phone as welll

Comment

• megoscott
                              Founding Partner
                              • Nov 17, 2006

Given what I know about most Mego collectors, very few of them are tech-savvy enough to run bit torrent. Ludites, nearly all of them.
                              This profile is no longer active.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎