X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Aquaman's Hair

I had this thought today: when blonde hair gets wet, it looks brown. And yet Aquaman's hair always looks blonde. Is that one of his superpowers? Discuss.
  • Mego Milk
    Custom Mego Maker
    • Jun 3, 2007

yep.
    ocean blonde aqua yellow sea hair.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by sprytel
      I had this thought today: when blonde hair gets wet, it looks brown. And yet Aquaman's hair always looks blonde. Is that one of his superpowers? Discuss.
      It's "magically blond Atlantean half-breed hair." lol It seldom looks wet, either...

Actually, it is a power in the sense that it is a trait that, per Atlantean myth, marked Arthur as an eventual ruler. His mother had blonde hair, but I think since the '90s DC has been careful not to depict other fair-haired Atlanteans.

What's more bizarre is, why does Superman's hair have blue highlights?
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

^That's pretty common. There are other characters that have black hair with blue highlights. Watch any episodes of Mission Hill as an example. Kevin and Andy both have black hair yet in some scenes the hair looks blue.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, blue is just a highlight for black. It doesn't mean he has blue hair. It kind of bothered me on the one season of Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians that Superman had blue hair. He presaged Marge Simpson by about 3 years.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I know it's an artistic conceit, it's just amusing--and confusing: Is Batman black or blue? (I opt for navy.) Why is Green Lantern highlighted in gray, not blue? ('Cause it looks better.)

Just random questions that poke at my OCD.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

I love blue highlights in black hair...it's part of the comic book look.

Comment

• bobws
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 13, 2008

And easy to use in custom figures.
                "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Let's hope Warner Bros. adheres to the blonde look in the movies!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^I bet they go the dirty blonde look like Marvel Studios has done with Thor. Few people notice Hemsworth doesn't have the yellowy-blonde hair of the comics. With Momoa's darker complexion, a yellow or whitish blonde may look really odd.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Yes, I'm curious to see how they develop Momoa's Atlantean "look." With Charlie Hannum, it would have been a no-brainer.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎