X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

70s Back to School Meltdown

I can't believe summer's over! Being a September baby I kind of enjoyed the whole back to school season as a kid, here is me doing my best to blend into the walls of my grade school.

My mother took this same picture without fail until I asked her to stop, this morning my son asked if I could not walk him to class, which i capitulated, albeit begrudgingly.

So what better time to look back at the bright side of vintage back to school, lots of eye candy after the jump!

School Supplies can be Fun! Like these Alco Superhero sharpeners and erasers. These kinds of things always made BTS shopping more enjoyable.

OK, Clothes Shopping Kinda Sucked: I'll admit that I didn't dig this angle of BTS until high school, especially because my mom seemed to dress me exclusively at "Marks and Sparks". The only upside of this was I was often placated with a toy, usually a Star Wars figure or a Micronaut. I still have the last toy my mom ever bought me BTS shopping in the fifth grade, a Micronauts Pharoid with Time Chamber.

Lunchboxes Rule: Every couple of years I picked my theme, I started my school career with Hong Kong Phooey and I ended it with the Black Hole, which I covered in "Clash of the Titans' stickers I got in sugar crisp. It was an important choice in your life, I remember coveting it.

If you want more Back to School mayhem, check out our Facebook page, where I'll be adding new stuff all day!

Oh and this Sunday, I'll be setting up at Canadian Toy Con/Mego North. It's a great vintage toy show with a classic arcade! I'll be selling vintage toys, copies of my book Rack Toys and Brick Mantooth action figures. Please come bye and say hi!

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • TomStrong
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2011

I had that Superman lunchbox, wish I still did. I thought grade school was a vast conspiracy to keep me from being away from all my toys.

Comment

• MysteryWho
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 16, 2008

I'm pretty sure I collected Sugar Crisp UPCs until I could mail in for a Clash of the Titans poster. Anybody else do that?

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

Even though my mom never let me have one, I miss that wall of lunchboxes you would always see in the grocery store at back-to-school time. (I had a Bobby Sherman hand me down!) But my favorite ritual; shoe shopping! Buster Brown Shoes was 2 blocks away, and I would usually get the popluar shoe that was advertised on TV that year. My favorite being "Chaws", (after the merchandising craze of Jaws!). The one shoe I wanted and didn't get was "Bigfoot", b/c they were "Earth Shoes" and Mom was convinced they'd ruin my feet.

Ahhh...Back to School memories!
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

Here is one of those Buster Brown shoe commercials I mentioned. I had the Topsies shown.

"Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

That Monsters lunch box is fantastic...

The kid in the Snoopy sweater, on the other hand...
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

The last BTS bribe gift I remember was my 1984 Super Powers lunchbox. It was the last one I got to carry.

I love that Batman is considered a pal of Bugs Bunny. They did tour together, after all!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Strawberry Shortcake lunchbox!
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

I feel sorry for the kid in the Snoopy shirt. "My haircut does not make me look like a girl!"

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Ah memories... I had that Universal Monsters lunchbox (and still do: I use it to store extra Remco Monster parts).
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• brannon86
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Jul 20, 2007

I remember going to K-Mart at the beginning of every school year, and seeing a full isle(on both sides) packed with lunchboxes. That was such a GLORIOUS site back then.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

I've told this story a million times, but I chose the Super Friends lunchbox over Superman: The Movie. It was a HARD decision to make, but I figured I got more bang for my Super Hero buck with the SF.

It wasn't until DECADES later that i realized the emphasis on Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl and Catwoman, combined with magenta trim, made this a girl-centric lunch box!!! I was posthumously mortified. Thank God no kid caught onto it!

That Universal lunchbox is beyond AWESOME. I'd love to have one.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• ScottA
                          Original Member
                          • Jun 25, 2001

I'd still buy those pencil sharpeners today.
                          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎