Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
    • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by jayraytee
    The problem is with some of this is that I imagine they are working way ahead of the game, several waves ahead. There are probably things in various stages of manufacturing that were sculpted months ago, some of which can't be turned back or stopped. So even if they intend on trying to get things more proportionate from this point on, we may still some figures that have the issue.
    Yep and I think in many cases here expectations are set based on faulty assumptions. Nature of the beast, I suppose.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

I didn't see that Jayna head til today...I can't tell if it looks too big or not. I think it might be okay when the outfit is on.
      I'll be getting the twins either way.

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

I think my old buddy Scott put it very succinctly...Well said Scott!
        sigpic

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
          Persistent Member
          • Apr 28, 2013

Head is too big, and enough folks mentioned it on the Facebook page that I hope they can fix it.

Comment

• scott metzger
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by Starroid Raiders Dagon
            Head is too big, and enough folks mentioned it on the Facebook page that I hope they can fix it.
            I note that there's that weird ring around the bottom of the head, which I assume won't be there in production, so that might indicate it wasn't made with a final mold. That's the rub with this; anything that's gotten to the point of having the steel mold made is going to be past the point of major changes, like changing size. It's really bad if some of the demanded characters like the twins wind up fouled up; honestly, I'd be willing to buy corrected, smaller heads down the line if they offered them. I wouldn't be thrilled about having to pay extra for something that should have been correct to begin with, but I'd shell out the money to have the figures look right. I was looking at Alfred last night compared to Bruce and Dick, and, dang, that head is big. I'd love to have Alfred right there between the two of them (like he's telling them the Batphone is ringing), but I can't; it makes it really obvious there's a 10" scale head on an 8" body. The sculpt is so good I would buy a new one to stick on there to correct it, because if the head was done right, that would be one of the best figures they've made in this new line.

So if they can't correct it in time to save some of the upcoming figures, I would be willing to pay for smaller heads later on. Especially Ra's; that sculpt is more than worth an extra cost to get in the right scale.

Comment

• jeffbearco
              Persistent Member
              • Mar 27, 2011

It seems that once the head reaches prototype, they have already paid for a mold and it must cost a significant amount to have the head remolded. That could be why they don't invest in re-sculpting heads. It would actually be refreshing to have a figure pushed out with a head that is a nudge too small for a change.

My hopes are still that we will get a decent Wonder Woman in the Super Friends line. Doing a tribute piece for the original Mego version is/was fine, but more than any other figure, Mego really kinda dropped the ball on her.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                Persistent Member
                • Apr 28, 2013

Wont be a deal breaker for me with the big heads, although I may put off ordering for a bit. I can resize them myself although I would prefer to have them be better size out of the gates. The Mattel Retro Wonder Woman was great so hopefully the Super Friends one will be on par with the Mattel one. Pretty sure they will have to go with molded hair on a Super Friends Wonder Woman.

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                  • Feb 27, 2014

Back on topic, for the SuperFriends line I would rather see the LOD and 'ethic' super heroes first before they give us a 3rd or 4th version of the original 5 heroes. Also, Anthony mentioned months ago that the only playset they were considering was the Hall of Justice. Perhaps it would be for this line?

Comment

• invisiblelad
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 6, 2014

^^^ I REALLY HOPE FTC does NOT go w/ MOLDED HAIR on ANY female figure if it can be done w/ rooted hair. The CLOTH Costumes & rooted hair go hand in hand w/ the RETRO MEGO look to me! I can accept the 1 Jayna, but REALLY HOPE that FTC would give a Super Friends Wonder Woman the rooted Mego FLIP w/ a clear head band keeping it neat. Then they could put the REMOVABLE TIARA over the plastic headband, leaving Customers to decide if they want to open the SF WW & remove the headband & replace the tiara if they want to. I would have preferred Jayna just had rooted Catwoman hairstyle w/ a little bit longer sides to pull into a little ponytail like they did w/ their KISS Gene Simmons doll.

*FTC-- keep the MEGO look for Super Friends, tighter UPDATED / improved costumes ( + accessories like WW's bracelets/lasso) but keep future females hair ROOTED as MEGO would have.
                    MEGO figures are why most of us customers are here! - invisiblelad

Comment

• scott metzger
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by jeffbearco
                      It seems that once the head reaches prototype, they have already paid for a mold and it must cost a significant amount to have the head remolded. That could be why they don't invest in re-sculpting heads. It would actually be refreshing to have a figure pushed out with a head that is a nudge too small for a change.
                      Actually, the true prototype is what the molds are made from; often what we see in many lines like this are past the prototype stage. It's hard to tell from this, especially not knowing the process they go through for the heads. We're not even sure what material this head is made from, so what step in the process it's from is a mystery. From experience, many times when we are shown the item, it's too far along for changes. Then again, NECA recently showed one of their new Godzilla figures at SDCC, and then actually changed the head sculpt in accordance with some of the fan feedback before sending it into production.

Comment

• invisiblelad
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 6, 2014

^^^ Scott, it's funny you mention how NECA "actually changed the HEAD SCULPT in accordance to the FAN FEEDBACK before sending it into production."

I find it funny because one of NECA's employees (in some fashion) actually simply mentioned on FACEBOOK something along the lines of: "FTC LOVES their BIG HEADS." on FB under the JAYNA prototype pic. It wasn't in those exact words, but it was a simple 1 line comment expressing that. I do remember FTC likes/loves BIG HEADS being part of it for sure. So, other companies that are in the retro mego-like game are even commenting on this unfortunate trend of GIANT NOGGINs!
                        Last edited by invisiblelad; Sep 18, '14, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• invisiblelad
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 6, 2014

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                          Yep and I think in many cases here expectations are set based on faulty assumptions. Nature of the beast, I suppose.
                          ^^^ Here's the problem. IF FTC has corrected, or is working on correcting, this obvious PROBLEM w/ their New character's HEADS........SAY SO, HOW & WHEN we the consumers/customers can expect results from their effort to correct this. If FTC came right out and said, ALL PROTOTYPES shown so far on our FB page were produced awhile ago & will not get the benefit from our new commitment to more properly scale heads on our figures in the future. Also, FTC could simply SAY: BUT look for our prototypes in Spring 2015 to show our prototypes that will have heads that have benefitted from our new procedure to ensure smaller in-scale heads. It's too late for any of the previously shown prototypes & for the next 4-8 you will see. (*Note: I PRAY it really will NOT be that long.....that will NOT be a good thing for FTC or us collector's if it truly will take that long IMO).

SO FTC just needs to COMMUNICATE WHEN future Prototypes (& WHICH Prototypes that we have been shown) will have NEWLY Corrected/scaled HEADS! Then we will know what can & can not be changed & all the comments & complaints will greatly simmer down.....after an initial day or so of people saying which figures we will NOT buy due to the BIG big head problem.

JAYNA, Ras Al Ghul, comic Alfred, Comm. GORDON......these are probably 1 shot deals. FTC NEEDS them to blend in seamlessly! DC probably will NEVER ALLOW smaller re-sized heads for these characters to be sold separately down the road. They just wouldn't do that due to licenses & profits.
                          Last edited by invisiblelad; Sep 18, '14, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• Vinny0026
                            Year Five!!
                            • Jan 26, 2012

I admit I did not read all these posts
                            But from what I know to be a fact is: They are working on the head issue.

I know for a fact that the Jayna head listed on FB is not the final product. Now will the final product be to big? to small? I have no idea - But I know that was not the final version of the head.

We all know by now they said they are working on the issue - we also know some of the production lines were to far into production to correct.
                            I'm sure as each wave goes on it will get better.

But if its the Jayna head most are talking about - from FB
                            its not the final head.

I won't comment on anything else because i just do not know
                            "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

• scott metzger
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by invisiblelad
                              JAYNA, Ras Al Ghul, comic Alfred, Comm. GORDON......these are probably 1 shot deals. FTC NEEDS them to blend in seamlessly! DC probably will NEVER ALLOW smaller re-sized heads for these characters to be sold separately down the road. They just wouldn't do that due to licenses & profits.
                              I doubt DC would object to a re-issue of heads in a corrected scale if it was some sort of head pack, like the Bat accessories pack. Or even as a nod to the old secret identity sets; put out a corrected Ra's head with an alternate costume (he's wore more than one look in the 70's), Gordon with a regular suit or even police uniform (allowing folks to build a Gotham City police force, if they wish), and Alfred with an all black butler's suit. If Zan and Jayna turn out bulbous, put the corrected heads in a pack with some of their transformations (bird, bucket of water, etc), or in a general Super Friends accessory pack. For FTC, there would be only the expense of minor re-tooling on the heads (the plug and neck to accommodate a smaller head size) and the resultant molds. There's ways of doing it that I'm sure would please DC, FTC and us. The fact that they can make the Bat accessory pack and are considering a shark for Aquaman tells me they aren't limited to just making a straight figure.

Comment

• invisiblelad
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jul 6, 2014

^^^ good points Scott, but I'm doubtful that these specific characters will receive such treatment. I hope they are willing to do just what you said, but in a line selling in these numbers, /I personally don't expect re-do's of any of the afore mentioned characters. If they sell out, they have no reason to take the risk of spending the time & money just to sell the heads. I wish they will. I'm hoping my concerns will be unfounded when I see Bizarro & company though. I'm hoping Alfred will be the 1 & only BIG HEAD at the party! I'm not thinking that will be the case, but surely hoping! If FTC did release the head pack & transformations pack, I'd gladly buy it! But I'm uncertain that FTC or DC will see the profits they would need to justify their costs & time on re-do's. Hope I'm wrong though. Actually I hope I don't need a head pack & Alfred is the 1 stand alone BIG HEAD. Jayna's head looks big, but the proportions of her features worry me too...but I'm glad Vinny stated it's definitely NNOT the final head! Hope it shrink 30%!

Vinny....THANK You for the confirmation on Jayna's head being NOT FINAL! You give me hope Vin so thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎