X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Hallmark is killing me this year!

I went to Hallmark yesterday to check out this year's ornaments and ended up coming home with Frankenstein, Jaws, Batman '66, Amazing Spider-Man, General Lee, and Rocketeer.

Still need to go back for Sloth, Optimus Prime, Godzilla, SW Cantina Band, ALIEN and Cornelius.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, we nearly dropped a paycheck on a trip to Hallmark on ornament premiere weekend last month. The quality on these has picked up after a dip a few years ago as well.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Oh, preach it, Brother! This is the most insane year ever. It's like license-palooza.

We have an embarrassing number of Christmas trees in our home. We are nutty. All different kinds of ornaments. (My favorite are the glass blown figural ones from Italy, but that's an aside). It is taking longer and longer every year to put them up and take them down, mostly because of yearly Hallmark releases. I've ditched most of the boxes and packaging for Hallmarks to try to streamline the process, but it is becoming such a chore, to the point where at the end of each year, I'm resolving to not buy anymore Hallmarks.

And then they do this.

It is a genre fan's Christmas dream come true this year. I've given up resisting. The hits just keep coming. And I haven't even considered any of the non-licensed, traditional Christmas ornaments yet this year.

I had a basket full of $100 worth, feeling a little guilty, and then I said. "Eh, they make me happy." and bought them. And they do!

I have had to cut back on some of the fringy Star Wars ornaments. I've decided I don't need every scene, or vehicle, or character double dip. Some of the vehicle prices ($32+) are absolutely ridiculous, and so we buy a lot at discount in the days after Christmas. Although, sometimes you'll miss a popular ornament that sells out.

My biggest complaint is that they don't make the ornaments "Christmassy" enough. I like the Santa Vader and Yoda they've done. Imagine how cool Superheroes in Dickens' style top hats and scarves would be.

Dream Ornaments:
      Scaled Mego WGSH Reproductions (Like the GI Joes they did)
      Creepshow Monsters (Nate, Jordy, Fluffy, Water Zombies, Pratt with Roaches, The Creep) - It'll never, ever happen.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

^Boy Andy, you have some great ornament ideas! MEGO ornaments would be so cool!
        I'm surprised they've never done a Cryptkeeper. Pulp heroes would be cool too...the Shadow, the Phantom, etc.
        How about a mini Kenner SMDM? Mini Masters of the Universe would also be extremely awesome...all those colors!

My favorite this year is Optimus Prime, but they were sold out. They said another shipment was coming in October.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Rocketeer? Sweet!
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Toy Timelord
            Banned
            • Aug 4, 2014

Wish they'd do Doctor Who. Would love to see the different versions of The Doctor, Daleks, and Tardises on my tree!

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Surprised they haven't done Dr. Who yet actually. The Rocketeer ornament was a nice surprise too. Better hurry if you want it, because it was one of their "Limited Quantities" ornaments that debuted in July.

Can't believe they're releasing ALIEN. Plus the pose is mind-blowingly cool.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 12, 2016

I've gotten addicted to the hallmark ornaments myself to the point of running out of tree room...my favorite lines are actually the classic toys, like fisher price, and the Tonka truck series...what better to decorate with than ornaments of vintage toys from years past...
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

They fulfilled one of my dreams this year with a perfect Filmation accurate He-Man! You can bet Skeletor will be coming next year.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

^ Ditto!!
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by enyawd72
                      They fulfilled one of my dreams this year with a perfect Filmation accurate He-Man! You can bet Skeletor will be coming next year.
                      Depends on if sales are good on He-Man. They are weird like that. The 66 Batman line has been relegated to limited quantity ornaments, and we're three characters in without Robin yet. Sometimes they cancel a line before it has a chance to really cook. We almost didn't get a Chekov for the Star Trek line of characters.

But yeah, that He-Man is sweeeeet!

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Every Ornament line I like seems to never finish, Universal Monsters, Planet of the Apes, I never pick a winner.

He-Man sounds like a safe bet to continue.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Can't believe we didn't get a Gorilla Soldier or General.

The Universal Monsters "line" is truly bizarre... You have Dracula made by Carlton Cards a few years ago, and then Hallmark did a perfectly scaled matching Karloff Frankenstein Monster, and that was pretty much it. Just weird that it was two different companies, yet they seem like they are made to go together in every way. They even are made of similar rubbery plastic.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎