Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Superman 12 inch 1978 box (Mego's sort of movie tie in)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

Superman 12 inch 1978 box (Mego's sort of movie tie in)

I had some emailing me from Germany every now and again wanting the repro of the 1978 Superman box which treaded the line between the comic and the movie. I told him that I didn't have what I needed to make one but keep in touch. And that is usually the end of it. But this fellow kept on contacting me every so often hoping I found the scans I needed . He even sent me some almost decent pictures of the box that actually came in handy later.

Well, it turns out that this big toy collector had one and was willing to scan it for me as best as he could without opening and flattening. The scans had some problems (blurriness on some areas because it was not entirely down on the scanner) and there was the upper left part of the front which was overlooked (can't blame him, each panel needed at least 2 scans).

That is when the Germany fellow's pictures came in handy but it took a lot of redrawing after the more tough than usual job of stitching it all together was done (usually a Mego box has lots of solid color but the front illustration had lots of work that did not take kindly to the less than exact lineups that multiple scans and sources give you). The front and the back illustrations are beautiful but were a colossal headache to fix up from multiple scans and the plug ins from the lower rez photos. The Superman logo was no problem, I pulled that off of other stuff. The pictures also came in handy to reconstruct the inner back flap which could not be scanned (but all the elements were available on other parts of the box).

Anyway, here it is, it can be labeled for any four of the characters.

mego73@hotmail.com
  • Grimjohn
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 28, 2011

Turned out extremely well, it looks like a Mint Vintage package. Superbly done, sir.
    My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• apes3978
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 19, 2005

Very good work...

Comment

• ZombieJimC
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 12, 2014

Looks Great! I wonder if you could do it in the 8" scale. I think that would be cool too!

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

Magnificent colors, that's one Super looking box.

Comment

• mego73
            Printed paperboard Tiger
            • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by ZombieJimC
            Looks Great! I wonder if you could do it in the 8" scale. I think that would be cool too!
            No problem shrinking it to 8 inch scale.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• comicmike
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 22, 2009

wow! i love that!!!!

Comment

• scoth70
                Persistent Member
                • Oct 17, 2008

that's super! man

Comment