X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • piecemaker
    There's no need to fear..
    • Jan 26, 2009

Discolored Big Jim Arms Help?

I was wondering if there is anything that you can use to clean/restore discolored Big Jim arms back to a flesh color or if once they fade?, you are just stuck with them? Thanks.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I don't know about fading--you might be able to dye them using tan with a bit or orange added.

Often, they look discolored just because of soiling--washing in warm water & dish-soap will make a huge difference.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• piecemaker
      • Jan 26, 2009

I don't have the figure yet but it just looks like it's going to take more than just washing it, but I will try that first.

I was also reading about re-dyeing previously dyed vinyl using artist markers and a blending pen. I haven't had one in my hands in 40 some years but I thought the arms had a rubber layer over them so I am not sure if the re-dyeing that way will work on them since they were talking about doing it to vinyl.

I also thought about the Remove-Zit stuff that people have used to remove stains from vinyl heads, but there again that was vinyl and I am not sure what the material on the arms is.

I was hoping for an easy miracle cure fix, lol. Once I get the figure I will see what I can do with it, Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
        Persistent Member
        • Apr 28, 2013

I wondered about the arm color as well. I remember doing an online search a few years ago and I don't remember there being a miracle fix. I was thinking it might be better (if it is possible) to do a rubber sleeve like the Bionic Man had over his arm? That way you could get the color back, cover imperfections, maintain the movement, and not damage the original arm.

Comment

• piecemaker
          • Jan 26, 2009

That's an idea, it would be nice if someone made replacement sleeves like they do for the Bionic Man.

Right now after looking around some more I am thinking once they go there isn't anything that can be done about it.

Comment

• Neutron X
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 22, 2007

Usually some soap and warm water does the trick. If you use Comet to clean the arms the arm color changes permanently

Comment

• piecemaker
              • Jan 26, 2009

Here's the figure. I tried just soap and water on his right arm first. It's better but still discolored. The second pic I colored the outer right arm with a pink sharpie accent marker, let it sit for a couple minutes and wipe it off with rubbing alcohol.

Some of the color seemed to absorb and stay in the rubber. There is a difference between the outer arm and inner arm color. There may be some hope. I am going to color the arm again and let it sit for an hour or two and see if more color seeps into the rubber. If that don't work I will try some other type of "dye". I had the Sharpie already and figured I had nothing to lose really. Not sure if it's alcohol or water based but it doesn't seem to dry on the rubber.

So far it's an improvement, I'll see what happens with further "treatments".

[img]http://piecemaker.smugmug.com/photos/i-CXmhjcq/1/L/i-CXmhjcq-L.jpg[/img]
              [img]http://piecemaker.smugmug.com/photos/i-4mtMWsw/0/XL/i-4mtMWsw-XL.jpg[/img]

Comment

• plaztekman
                Career Member
                • Apr 27, 2008

I wonder if the same technique used for "zombie" heads would work. ...using multiple dunks in plasti-dip?
                Check out my photoblog: http://megomuseum.com/community/blog...773-plaztekman

Comment

• piecemaker
                  • Jan 26, 2009

Originally posted by plaztekman
                  I wonder if the same technique used for "zombie" heads would work. ...using multiple dunks in plasti-dip?
                  It might, I have thought about trying that but am just going with the(cheaper) stuff I have on hand right now.

Comment

• piecemaker
                    • Jan 26, 2009

I didn't have very high hopes when I decided to try the Sharpie but after letting that sit and seep in for a couple hours, I washed it off with soap and water and it really is working well.

I did the whole arm except for a spot on the very top of the shoulder and it is turning back to a flesh color. It looks even better and matches the body color much closer in person.

First picture is how the arm is looking now. Second was first attempt after letting it sit for only a minute or so.

I am happy, this guy is going to look great again.
                    [img]http://piecemaker.smugmug.com/photos/i-LWwXCWb/1/L/i-LWwXCWb-L.jpg[/img]
                    [img]http://piecemaker.smugmug.com/photos/i-sdrm2P6/1/L/i-sdrm2P6-L.jpg[/img]

Comment

• plaztekman
                      Career Member
                      • Apr 27, 2008

That looks great! soooo much better. I'm gonna have to get out my Jim's and get started on them. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

• piecemaker
                        • Jan 26, 2009

It's a definite improvement, you will like it even better when you see it in person. I have to finish him off now. Here's what I used.
                        [img]http://piecemaker.smugmug.com/photos/i-Mf7VtVn/1/L/i-Mf7VtVn-L.jpg[/img]

Comment

• plaztekman
                          Career Member
                          • Apr 27, 2008

so many words come to mind looking at that pic.....

Comment

• piecemaker
                            • Jan 26, 2009

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Keeps things interesting on camping trips.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎