Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do kids of today even play with action figures anymore?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acrovader
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2011

Do kids of today even play with action figures anymore?

Occasionally I like to stroll down the toy aisle at Target or visit TRU. Apart from the new action figures being kinda crappy- in a 1990's type of way, do kids actually like this stuff? I think Lego is popular as ever with kids. But it seems much of the stuff bought at retailers these days are by adult collectors (primarily the Star Wars stuff). I guess video games are a bigger thing with kids these days.. Maybe?
    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Kids still play with them. I think they don't play with them as long as they used to...in other words, kids switch exclusively to video games and other electronics earlier, as a rule.

But, with huge lines like Imaginext and the Playskool Marvel/Star Wars/Transformers lines, kids get into action figures a bit earlier, too.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Oh, how I love Imaginext.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• kerowack
        Career Member
        • Feb 27, 2008

Kids are done with action figures by six these days...at the school I worked at, only wwe action figures seemed to hold on for another year. Video games are king.

Comment

• megomania
          Persistent Member
          • Jan 2, 2010

My son is three and has played with action figures for over a year. He loves going to Target, Fred Meyer, and TRU to look at them. He loves Legos, but action figures are higher priority. I don't see him losing interest any time soon. And kids don't "exclusively switch" to video games unless their parents let them. In my opinion. -Chris

Comment

• rche
            channeling Bob Wills
            • Mar 26, 2008

mine sure love to play with figures of all sizes and scales.

Comment

• Wise4671
              Banned
              • Aug 11, 2007

My son is 14 now he does love his video games but every now and then he still plays with his Legos as well as his figures. My daughter is 10 and she also enjoys her ipod and laptop but she plays with her Lego friends her littlest pet shops and her baby dolls although it puzzles me she does not like barbies she would rather play with my megos :-)

Comment

• Wise4671
                Banned
                • Aug 11, 2007

Oh I forgot to mention I think they would both give up a week of games to go play in Dwayne's toy room :-)

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

I think it depends on the kid. My son has never shown any interest in action figures at all, I tried to steer him towards them at a young age, with the Imaginext and other "kiddie" action figures, but he just doesn't care. He's an absolute Lego fiend, but he completely ignores the Lego figures, he's more interested in the Lego motors, pneumatic pumps, etc. Huge difference from me when I was his age, I was addicted to action figures, but couldn't care less about Legos, Hot Wheels, etc.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                    Persistent Member
                    • Apr 28, 2013

I think that some kids need to learn how to pretend. My niece had a slew of Barbie dolls and all she did was change their clothes, so we would sit down and set up a stage and do runway shows and have other dolls be the judges, and we would make funny voices and talk about the designs like Project Runway. I dont think everyone is born with the desire to play make believe, sometimes it just takes a little coaching.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Ninja Turtles is still a huge seller with kids.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

So are Power Rangers. At least with my 11 year old nephew they are.

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

I know very few who do... they ALL seem obsessed with Minecraft and Lego though.
                          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                            Invincible Ironing Man
                            • Feb 28, 2008

It has died out here, you hardly find any action figures in toy stores anymore.
                            On a rare occasion, they'll have a handful when a new movie comes out (like Spiderman 2), but not much.
                            Kids go from stuff like Lego directly to Ipods, Ipads and games on phones.

If you want action figures, you have to go to a specialty store where a bunch of 40 year olds hang out. No self-respecting kid would go there...
                            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                              Museum Paramedic
                              • Aug 31, 2005

This is an interesting thread. Since I don't have kids and don't currently know any kids, I wasn't sure if action figures weren't, now, just an adult collectable. It's good to know that some kids do still play with toys and not just with tablets and PlayStations.

Of course, I have seen some of those action figures that are targeted toward very young children. To me, they are something a kin to the Fisher Price Little People we had as small children.

- Ian
                              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎