Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best actor in the Marvel cinematic universe?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Best actor in the Marvel cinematic universe?

A lot gets tossed around about how great Robert Downey Jr. is as Tony Stark, and he does a fantastic job, but I'm even more impressed with Chris Evans.

I don't know if it's just me, but I watch both Fantastic Four movies quite often as well as Captain America, and I'm amazed at how well he portrays both Johnny Storm and Steve Rogers so completely and convincingly as two different people.

Whenever I'm watching one, I actually forget he played the other. Not too many actors could pull that off, especially since his look isn't really that different. It's all in his performances. He really sells both parts.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Downey or Jackman, if the Fox stuff counts. Evans is more enjoyable as Cap than Torch. The Loki guy is perfect too. They actually traded up to get Ruffalo for the Hulk/Banner.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

I really like Ruffalo, he's great in the part, the best version of the character.

Personally, I'm sick of Downey. He's nothing like the comic book Stark, his constant "jokes" aren't right for the character, and he seems to feel he's the centre of the Marvel Universe.
      I can't wait until they recast the part.

Jackman is finally starting to look the part (a little older), so I hope he sticks around.
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by enyawd72
        A lot gets tossed around about how great Robert Downey Jr. is as Tony Stark, and he does a fantastic job, but I'm even more impressed with Chris Evans.

I don't know if it's just me, but I watch both Fantastic Four movies quite often as well as Captain America, and I'm amazed at how well he portrays both Johnny Storm and Steve Rogers so completely and convincingly as two different people.

Whenever I'm watching one, I actually forget he played the other. Not too many actors could pull that off, especially since his look isn't really that different. It's all in his performances. He really sells both parts.
        Perfectly stated. I can't add anything else to that thought. That really sums it up for me.
        Last edited by MIB41; Aug 24, '14, 7:10 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

It's no secret how fond I am of Evan's portrayal Rogers/Cap.

I'd rate Hiddleston's Loki very highly, too, and could really see Fassbender growing into a terrific Magneto.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• madmarva
            Talkative Member
            • Jul 7, 2007

To me Evans was the saving grace ( I may be overstating it) of the FF movies. I really never cared much for the character in the comics compared to the other three, but Evans did a nice job making the pretty boy, smart Alec likable.

That's why I wasn't sure about him playing Cap. I figured he could pull off the look, but Steve Rogers is so different than Johnny Storm. But he's Even better as Rogers. The back and forth between him and Downey Jr. In Avengers really sold the film for me. I figured Downey Jr.'s charisma would overshadow him, but their toe-to-toe arguments were acting standoffs, and him playing the less showy part and not bring swallowed up stood out to me.

Likewise, he and Johansen's scenes together in Winter Soldier really worked as did the ones with Falcon. I like his take on the Man-out-of-his-own-time theme. His Cap knows and is comfortable with who he is in whatever era or situation. His moral compass doesn't change so even though he misses his friends from the past, he's not crippled by being a latter day Rip Van Winkle.

Ruffalo's Banner was also an improvement. He had a nice walking-on-edge take on Banner that showed up in the non-verbal aspects of his performance that really worked for me.

For the Fox films, I like Jackman's Wolverine, but it's not the character from the comics, at least the 70s to mid 80s version I'm familiar with. But that's no indictment of Jackman. Wolverine had to be cleaned up and heroed up a bit to be a movie lead.

To me, the standout performance in all the x films is McAvoy in days of future past. He really sold the part as a disillusioned washout .

But Marvel and for the most part Fox have done such a nice job with scripts and casting. Feige and his team have really done a great job in putting these films together.
            Last edited by madmarva; Aug 24, '14, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

It's Evans for me. He sold a character that in lesser hands can come across as hammy cornball in today's cynical age, especially next to Tony Snark (and not that's not a typo). His utterly sincere, Reeve-like portrayal nailed Cap, and for me, the entire Marvel Universe locked into place after that.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• plaztekman
                Career Member
                • Apr 27, 2008

Chris Evans as Cap. He's been perfect as the ultimate patriot/honorable man in all his onscreen performances. ...and IMO: "The Winter Soldier" has been the best solo Marvel movie yet.
                Check out my photoblog: http://megomuseum.com/community/blog...773-plaztekman

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

Glad to see I'm not alone in thinking Evans is tops! Another testament to his acting chops is the fact that my sister loves him in both roles and didn't even realize he was the same guy until I told her, despite watching both series regularly.

Comment

• torgospizza
                    Theocrat of Pan Tang
                    • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by plaztekman
                    Chris Evans as Cap. He's been perfect as the ultimate patriot/honorable man in all his onscreen performances. ...and IMO: "The Winter Soldier" has been the best solo Marvel movie yet.
                    I agree with this. Evans is totally believable in the role, and he's not winking at the camera at all. I like most of the actors and think they do okay. Prefer Norton to Ruffalo and wish he had stayed, but they're all good or at least serviceable in their roles. F.ex., I'd prefer a younger Vladimir Kulich type than Channing Hemsworth (I kid, I kid!) as Thor, but he's okay.

Comment

• Mego Milk
                      Custom Mego Maker
                      • Jun 3, 2007

Say "WHAT?" again! I dare you!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

I say Stan Lee!!

Comment

• SentientApe