X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnnystorm
    Hot Child in the City
    • Jul 3, 2008

Capaldi, Capaldi, & more Capaldi

Yet another BBC special tonight about Peter Capaldi as the new Doctor. Do you get the feeling they think Moffat made a mistake here? They seem to be really pushing him at the fans, perhaps going so far away from the last two Doctors isn't trending well in public polling?
    I mean, those Peter Davison shows were nothing but glorified commercials. The Ultimate Doctor? If I were Davison I would have said " It was me, end of story!"
    In a side note, anyone going to Pittsburgh Pa Comic con next month? Paul McGann is the main guest!
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I am getting kinda sick of hearing how great Capaldi is and I haven't even seen him yet.

I'm sure i'll like him like all the other doctors given time but please stop feeding me endless Capaldi candy --- I'm starting to want to throw up.

Comment

• Klosterheim
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 23, 2013

I was starting to wonder too.

When he appeared at the end of Smith's finale, I was disappointed, he did not seem that good, and acting and speaking the same ways and things as the previous two.

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

One of my older sisters who's a big Tom Baker fan (from back in the day) and is also in love with David Tennent said --- who's this old man, don't think he's going to have many female fans

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I just take it as them hyping their new product.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Wow, already kvetching? Watch the first episode for crap's sake!
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by palitoy
              Wow, already kvetching? Watch the first episode for crap's sake!
              Oh, you know this happens whenever there's a new Doctor

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

This happens when there is new Doctor Who anything.

"I hate RTD, he's ruining the show!" turned into "I hate Moffat, he's ruining the show, I miss RTD!"

"I hate ________________(Assistant name)" is constant until a new one comes along they hate even more.

Here's what I did during the Colin Baker years, I stopped watching.

I've never seen the Twin Dilemna, Timelash or a few other gems of his. I didn't enjoy watching it anymore, so I stopped. I don't understand watching something every week then posting upset tirades about it.

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

^^^it's going to be amplified though because of the newfound mainstream popularity of Who. I mean can you imagine back in the day if we walked into any given store (HMV, Borders, Chapters/Indigo, Hot Topic etc) and there was a huge tower of Doctor Who merchandise right there in the main entrance?). what't the term? "embarrassment of riches"

I'm sure a great deal of the grousing as well is that old school who fans kind of feel co-opted by the fact that there are now 12 year old female fans (who in turn, might not respond to an older Doctor who is less than "dreamy").

My wife is ridiculously excited that Matt Smith is going to be at the Montreal Comic Con next month.
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

We should be rejoicing that Capaldi is ONE OF US. Capaldi is as big a Who fanboy as Tennant was right?
                    I'm assuming by all this referencing to Pertwee, that is Capaldi's childhood Doctor?

campert.jpg
                    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by palitoy

Here's what I did during the Colin Baker years, I stopped watching.

There ya go, you missed some of the best Who ever produced (said while my nose get's longer and longer)

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mikey
                        There ya go, you missed some of the best Who ever produced (said while my nose get's longer and longer)
                        I'm sure some people think that way but for me it was just the lowest point ever.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

For me (at the time) the McCoy years was the lowest point.

Funny I say this because today I truly LOVE the McCoy years.

But back in the day the McCoy years felt so cheap (literally)

Like the budget was $100.00 per show

They even switched to a cheaper smaller video tape making the episodes graining in dark scenes.

For the Doctor himself, at the time I thought McCoy's doctor was a conscious mash of all the previous Doctors strong points.

Today I totally enjoy the McCoy years, but for me (at the time) that was the lowest point.

BTW, I should note I never seen the McCoys years till well after they were produced, NJN having dropped DW after Trial of a Timelord

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

McCoy got me back into the series, I had one eye open during his first season (which is mediocre) but his adding the mystery back to the Doctor made it a high point later on.

Comment

• bobws
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 13, 2008

Wonderful Chap, all of them. Even enjoyed the 6th and 7th doctor stories as I saw them. Did they have flaws...yes. So does the RTD and Moffat Years.
                              You take the good with the bad. I just think an older Doctor will kill off some of the female viewers (Not Really, but you know what I mean).
                              But I'm glad we're getting a non Heart throb Doctor again.
                              "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎