X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I saw you Clem!

I think Smith was so likable, going with a gruff and slightly sinister Doctor was really the only way to go, thematically. It was a bold move in the popularity department, though, no dobut.

We did see his slightly softer side toward the end of this one, but that was after he showed us his cold, logical side first.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

I like this game of "Spot Clem". It's like "Where's Waldo?", only more entertaining.

This new story was really smart. Maybe not my favorite story, but it certainly kept you on your toes.
      I wish they had used a different title, because it gives away a little of the "punchline".
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• johnnystorm
        Hot Child in the City
        • Jul 3, 2008

I'm liking the gruff Doctor too, I enjoy the anti-hero characters more, the Dexters & Houses & such... Way more interesting than the good ol' pal types and the will they wont they romance stuff. #12 is a mix of 3,6,& 7... We need a companion now more like Ace or Jamie.
        And I too enjoy "Clem-Spotting!"
        ...hoping you'll be popping up in many more episodes until they realize you can be a good subplot and Moffat takes credit for "planting" you throughout. Clem, you will be the next Bad Wolf or Crack in the Wall!

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by johnnystorm
          Clem, you will be the next Bad Wolf or Crack in the Wall!
          Hey, that's clever

Everybody thinks just Clara is jumping through time but there's someone else too LOL

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

At this point, I think Clem should be the new companion. It would tie into the Doctor having someone else's face!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

From Wiki ..........

Capaldi kept his native Scottish accent for the role. Speaking on his decision, he said he did it so he could feel closer to the character. Capaldi's accent caused some viewers to struggle to understand him in the show, including some who required subtitles to understand what he was saying. As well as the difficulty understanding his accent, the delivery of his lines also made it harder to understand what he was saying, owing to the fact Capaldi delivered the lines in a very fast pace. Patricia Fletcher, a Manhattan-based voice, speech and dialect coach said "... the actor often speaks very quickly, with a staccato rhythm and without enough attention to articulating through to the end of his thought/line, this does promote a character choice of Doctor Who being sharp and quick-thinking, but does not help us understand what the Doctor is actually saying/thinking.” British Linguistics expert Professor David Crystal also felt that the accent and speed of delivery made it difficult for even British audiences to understand.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

I'm guessing they dumped the whole Missy/Heaven sub-plot. Been a few weeks since they've had it.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                  Invincible Ironing Man
                  • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                  I'm guessing they dumped the whole Missy/Heaven sub-plot. Been a few weeks since they've had it.
                  It'll be back. Moffat never lets anything go.
                  "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey
                    Hey, that's clever

Everybody thinks just Clara is jumping through time but there's someone else too LOL
                    I've got it!
                    Clem is The Master!!!
                    It all makes sense now, with him popping up everywhere...

Comment

• mhackley
                      • May 27, 2008

I do have one prob with Capaldi

I'm finding it REALLY hard to understand half the things he says.

I wish they would have found an American English friendly actor.

Sorry, but I just can't understand him half the time
                      Actually, Eccleston was 100% easier for me to understand than Capaldi.

My favorite Doctors (for understanding everything they say) is Tom Baker, Peter Davison and Colin Baker.
                      I kinda feel the same way.

So far (imo) Capaldi is as likeable as Colin Baker.

Matt Smith kinda spoiled us as the Doctor you'd love to have a beer with.

For Capaldi i'm not sure --- if anything he does harken back to a time when the Doctor was very alien.

For me, liking the stories but i'm not sure I like Capaldi.

For one thing, I wish he would speak American-English friendly -- aka ALL other Doctors before him

He needs to stop mumbling and just speak the lines
                      From Wiki ..........

Capaldi kept his native Scottish accent for the role. Speaking on his decision, he said he did it so he could feel closer to the character. Capaldi's accent caused some viewers to struggle to understand him in the show, including some who required subtitles to understand what he was saying. As well as the difficulty understanding his accent, the delivery of his lines also made it harder to understand what he was saying, owing to the fact Capaldi delivered the lines in a very fast pace. Patricia Fletcher, a Manhattan-based voice, speech and dialect coach said "... the actor often speaks very quickly, with a staccato rhythm and without enough attention to articulating through to the end of his thought/line, this does promote a character choice of Doctor Who being sharp and quick-thinking, but does not help us understand what the Doctor is actually saying/thinking.” British Linguistics expert Professor David Crystal also felt that the accent and speed of delivery made it difficult for even British audiences to understand.
                      So you're basically saying you don't like his Scottish accent...

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                        It'll be back. Moffat never lets anything go.
                        Yeah, he should just abandon story arcs, that would make fans happy.

They mentioned Missy in this episode, it was very subtle and I'm not surprised it was missed.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by mhackley
                          So you're basically saying you don't like his Scottish accent...
                          I think so

But not all Scottish accents --- loved McCoy's and Tennant's REAL speaking accent

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                            Yeah, he should just abandon story arcs, that would make fans happy.

They mentioned Missy in this episode, it was very subtle and I'm not surprised it was missed.
                            That's okay. I missed the bow tie joke too.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                              HULK SMASH!
                              • Apr 3, 2010

Still impressed with Capaldi as the Doctor.
                              However, I really wish they'd ditch the whole thing with Clara's boyfriend. I really don't care about who she's going out with. Getting sick of that. Just get on with the damn stories!
                              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• johnmiic
                                Adrift
                                • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                                Still impressed with Capaldi as the Doctor.
                                However, I really wish they'd ditch the whole thing with Clara's boyfriend. I really don't care about who she's going out with. Getting sick of that. Just get on with the damn stories!
                                Seems to me they're setting her up to leave the show. But from the episode "Listen" I suspect there's more to the guy than we are led to believe.
                                \

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎