Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

I did not care for the season at all. I find it hard to watch at all, but that could be that I have not warmed to Capaldi as the Doctor yet. which in my mind, is not a good sign, if after a whole season I still don't care for him in the roll. I will continue to watch next season though and hope for something better

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

It took me at least two seasons to warm to Matt Smith. Didn't like him at all in the role at first. But by the end of his tenure, I'd grown to like him as the Doctor.

In contrast, I liked Capaldi from the outset. He's great in the role. All he needs are some really strong stories with some good companions.

Really looking forward to Capaldi's second season.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
        It took me at least two seasons to warm to Matt Smith. Didn't like him at all in the role at first. But by the end of his tenure, I'd grown to like him as the Doctor.

In contrast, I liked Capaldi from the outset. He's great in the role. All he needs are some really strong stories with some good companions.

Really looking forward to Capaldi's second season.
        My thoughts exactly.
        At first I felt Smith was a bit too manic for the part, but in the end he got it just right, and I was sorry to see him go.
        Capaldi, I loved him from the beginning. Some of the stories did let him down.
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

I don't like Capaldi - there I've said it.

I've given him a whole season to grow on me.

I just don't like him ---

He just seems like a actor.

Still watch the series but not with the enthusiasm I once had.

I don't know what else to say.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

my thoughts exactly Mike. maybe if they do get a good companion for him and some new (old) baddies to fight, it will liven things up a bit. I like Clara and she is verrry easy on the eyes, but not the right type of companion for Capaldi

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Finally got caught up on our Who viewing yesterday, and I'm still trying to decide how I feel about the finale. I think the set-up was better than the resolution, overall. I guessed Missy was the Master when I saw the preview for that one where she says "You know who I am", probably because I'm still a newbie and only have a surface understanding of Who history, so not a lot of other big bads to get in the way as red herrings.

I'm also a bit confused on how I felt about Danny Pink and the emphasis on him and Clara this season. I'm with some of you here in that all of this made me like Clara less....but maybe that was the point, since they knew she was leaving from the get-go. Aside from the romance and tragedy with Danny, Clara's arc was similar to someone who once loved her job, but one day management changed, and everything was different. She tried to hang in there for old time's sake, but ultimately, it was time to move on. I kind of liked that her and the new Doctor never completely clicked, because they honestly never would.

I like Capaldi's Doctor. To me, he's Batman. Under that acerbic, crusty exterior is a thick layer of humanity, you just have to dig for it. The show is nowhere near as fun without the manic and loveable Smith, but I understand why they went 180 from Smith, and Tennant really.

With Clara gone, the next season can't help but focus more on the Doctor, and I'm looking forward to that.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• clemso
                Talkative Member
                • Aug 8, 2001

Just catching up having never watched the new generation of DW. Watching the first series of the 10th Doctor at the mo. Finished the 9th Doctors only season and it was fantastic, fantastic! What really struck me first after watching Capaldi's Doctor is how lovey dovey Tennant's Doctor and Rose are with each other.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by clemso
                  Just catching up having never watched the new generation of DW. Watching the first series of the 10th Doctor at the mo. Finished the 9th Doctors only season and it was fantastic, fantastic! What really struck me first after watching Capaldi's Doctor is how lovey dovey Tennant's Doctor and Rose are with each other.
                  I LOVED Eccleston's take on The Doctor and wish he'd done it for more than a single season. Also wish he had participated the the 50th Anniversary episode last year.
                  sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

Yeah,I like Eccleston too. He could be goofy at times but not over the top like the others.

Comment

• clemso
                      Talkative Member
                      • Aug 8, 2001

Yes loved Eccleston's take on the Doctor and its a shame he didn't want to be involved in the 50th (or anything DW for that matter) I'm sure Moffat's original idea for the 50th was going to be a 3 Doctors new generation style show. We will never know now.

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                      I LOVED Eccleston's take on The Doctor and wish he'd done it for more than a single season. Also wish he had participated the the 50th Anniversary episode last year.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

"Last Christmas" was fairly entertaining. About on a par with all the other DW xmas specials.
                        Interesting if somewhat convoluted plot with some very well acknowledged inspirations.

Still loving Capaldi's Doctor. Terse, outwardly abrasive, and ill tempered. Perfect!
                        Looks like we've still got Clara for the next season.
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, some nice twists there, in "Last Christmas". I'm a bit confused though...

SPOILERS

Why did the Doctor awaken in the volcano (both in a dream and for real) from the season finale arc? I kept waiting for some timey-wimey explanation, and for it to somehow tie into Clara's leaving...but now it seems she's sticking around for more? They are really dangling that carrot, since it was reported she was leaving the show at the end of this season. What's up with that? I know the volcano also ties into Capaldi's appearance in "The Fires of Pompeii" as well. I figure they'll get around to all of that eventually...or not.

The "scientist" acknowledging the facehuggers had me laughing out loud, as did the shopworker's to-do list at the end. The Santa effects were REALLY well done. The flying reindeer were probably the best I've seen on screen.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, definitely a lot of unanswered questions in that episode.

I was rather hoping Clara would be bowing out with this story, as inferred. She's actually becoming annoying.
                            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, it does seem like she's starting to wear out her welcome. She's taking longer to leave than Tennant.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                                Verbose Member
                                • Aug 9, 2001

Typical Moffat style story --- (dream in a dream etc)

My Christmas wish is Moffat gets booted and Capaldi with him.

This past season is the first New Series Doctor Who season I have no interest in having on DVD

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎