X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
    Is he? I can't sit here and say he isn't trying to exaggerate the form. Can you?
    Doesn't look like it to me, and I am an artist also. I'd classify his work as realism.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

Good, we're both professional artists then.

I do say he's exaggerating the form, in a way fashion artists do. He's extended the legs, back, and neck. He's arched the back impossibly. It's grounded in realism, yes. It's still exaggerated.

I can see, of course, that it's not anatomically correct. Most comic art isn't. That's my point.

My problem is with the band wagon jumpers who would never have noticed the anatomy of an art piece if someone hadn't told them it wasn't good.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

^Problem is, the two examples of his work on the previous page are pretty much photo realistic...it's obvious he used photos for reference on at least one of them. So, with Spider-Woman, is he purposely exaggerating the form, or is he just incapable of correct anatomy and proportions without reference?

I believe the latter applies. And hey, I'm not trying to toot my own horn. I rely very heavily on photo reference for my paintings. I know my limitations and try not to produce subpar work by exceeding them.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

I certainly don't believe he's incapable of correct anatomy. He's done numerous stories and graphic novels since 1969. I think his chops are strong. 3 Marvel covers don't represent what he does.

That's not a pose that would be hard to take a reference photo for, which is why I believe it was a decision to exaggerate the form.

But I think the anatomy uproar is born from the "too sexy" hype and that people would not have been offended by the anatomy until they were told to be. Let's face it, it would be easy to pick apart the anatomy of nearly every comic on the shelf right now and if that was what really offended people, no one would ever buy comics.

In the end, I think it's a successful piece and I don't have a problem with the figure.

Hey Dwayne, If you're interested, Bill Sienkiewicz wrote an interesting story on his Facebook page about being in a figure drawing session with Manara. It seems Manara chose to draw whatever he wanted no matter what pose the model was in. (thats the cliffs notes, check out the story for the whole thing) It made me curious about how Manara uses whatever reference he uses.
          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

Mego connection... Tex Willer.
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

I've been a fan of Manara's art for years and years. I haven't bought new single issue comics in near 20 years so I wasn't aware that he was doing variant covers for Marvel. I wonder if they will end up being collected in a book or something?

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by cjefferys
                I've been a fan of Manara's art for years and years. I haven't bought new single issue comics in near 20 years so I wasn't aware that he was doing variant covers for Marvel. I wonder if they will end up being collected in a book or something?
                I"m sure some pieces will end up in one of the "Art of Marvel" Books eventually. In the old days when Marvel owned a card company, I'm undoubtably would have gotten trading cards.

Retailers have been getting nice promotional posters, I've been meaning to pick up the Shanna one. Hopefully this hasn't driven the prices up too much, or I'll have to wait for the hype to die down.
                My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎