X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

No more summer vacations for kids ?

My local newspaper has a poll asking if summer vacations should be melded into the school year --- Giving the kids the same amount of time off but have the time distributed into many short 2 week vacations lasting the whole year.

Guess some districts are toying with the idea

Whatcha think ?
  • pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

I know my kids are kind of bored and are looking forward for school to start.
    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

I think it would screw a lot of the parents up ... family vacations, summer jobs, daycare etc

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

There are easily 20+ kids in our neighborhood, all bummed that school is back in session. Their summers are all about fun and games, and they'd be crushed if they had to spend more of it in school.

Comment

• noelani72
          27inaleon
          • Jun 25, 2002

they have tried year-round school in my town.
          One school does it - and it really does not work.
          The only reason it has not been nixed is because it was a brand new facility with air conditioning...yet they have been thru their fair share of principals.

Majority of our schools are not air conditioned, and with our climate, those buildings get near 100 degrees in summer....year round school won't happen until they get AC...but there is no funding.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Back in the day I was soooo spoiled

We had a brand spanking new school (K-8) in the country

It had air conditioning and carpet in every room.

Our township was so small the school had 1 classroom for every grade

Most of the teachers were 20 something girls fresh out of college.

Back in the day I never appreciated what we had

Comment

• stuart
              Hi-Yo Silver Away!
              • Jun 18, 2007

Year-round school cost too much money. Cooling school buildings in Georgia in the summer is very expensive.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Our school system has a truncated summer vacation compared to what we used to have when I was a kid. They still get off about 2 and half months, if no snow days, and now get a fall break in addition to spring.

They started the fall break about 10 years ago, and one year just gave the kids two days off that week. There was a revolt and attendance was abysmal, so they went back to a full week last year.

We take our big vacations over the fall break sometimes. It's a nice alternative to the summer vacay.

As long as they still get at least 2 months off, I'm good. But you gotta let kids be kids.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Living in the Poconos our school districts usually have tons of snow days.

Poor kids usually are the last kids in the country to finish for the year

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

I want my elementary school (three houses next to me) to be demolished...not blaming the kids...but those damn bloody parents who keep hogging our streets (when dropping kids and when they pick them up). They have no regard for the neighborhood...they double park...they block our driveways...they create traffic jams...they get into shouting matches...I get evil thoughts...like looking at my guns...luckily, they are just that, evil thoughts...but boy, do I HATE them with a passion. The teachers also park in our street...but they are far more considerate.

We have had meetings with the school on this...and the poor principal is trying her best to solve this problem.

Too bad the Oakland Police is undermanned...as they told us...the department is too short staffed...they can't police these idiots...believe me...the OPD supports our opinion. They did advise us to call tow trucks on those creatures...and I've done it twice already...GOOD...hope the parent had to pay tons of stiff penalties for that...and will continue to do so.

The kids are innocent in all of this...the teachers are cool, the principal is trying, the police advised...but the inconsiderate parents can all go to hell.

Sorry...what was the thread about again?

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

To stay on topic...

I prefer all Summer off for them...as our street is super tranquil during their extended school vacation...I love it...that's why I want that school GONE...

sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Kids around here are pretty good not counting the occasional volleyball game over somebody's car

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

they have been talking about it here in NY as well. thing is, the schools do not have air conditioning(most anyway) and it would be a huge expense to retrofit it for every school. the idea behind it is so that the kids don't lose some of what they have been taught. there is a theory that by having 2 months off, the children forget too much from the prior year. I am sure there is some truth to that, but we all grew up, graduated from school became professional people and most if not all of us got good jobs/careers. so did our parents. why they think this has to be changed now I cannot understand. I am against it. children need a break from school. 2 weeks is not near enough. hell we all know that being adults in the workforce and stuck with 2 weeks vacation. I only start to really relax the middle of the second week and then I have to go back to work.
                          enough with all this crap, let kids be kids and enjoy their summer off

Comment

• Duncan
                            Museum focus-groupie
                            • Jun 27, 2009

I like summer vacation the way it is. We stick our kids in a bunch of different day-camps (pay by the week), and they have some cool experiences. Plus, they're in much better physical shape by the end of the summer.

Comment

• cjefferys
                              Duke of Gloat
                              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                              they have been talking about it here in NY as well. thing is, the schools do not have air conditioning(most anyway) and it would be a huge expense to retrofit it for every school.
                              Good point, our kids' school doesn't have AC and I wouldn't want them being cooped up there in July and August.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎