Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Toycade select their next 1966 Batman exclusive!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justzeg18
    Career Member
    • May 5, 2003

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
    \ The end result is it will just drive the collectors here that want real information over to FTC's FB page and stop reading this board for it.
    Since there is no official spokesperson here, I fail to see the concern in that.
    The people who want real/legit info should be going directly to the source until an official local source is produced.

Discussion is great, but go to the source for facts.

Comment

• jayraytee
      Career Member
      • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
      Yeah they can come and read the board for themselves and verify what was said. He never revealed any exclusive, he did strongly hint that he liked the Riddler in a Suit figure, but didn't confirm.

I think some people complained about Mickey posting info here, and I think this probably went along with it. On the one hand I can understand MM and FTC wanting to make sure that accurate information is posted here. On the other hand, it smacks of adults trying to tell children what they can and cannot hear. I didn't need anyone to tell me what to believe as far as Mickey's guessing games and sharing info, just like I didn't need anyone to pull the plug on this guy asking for input.

The end result is it will just drive the collectors here that want real information over to FTC's FB page and stop reading this board for it.
      The end result as far as I am concerned is that I will lose some respect for FTC; I mean if they get bent out of shape over some discussion about their toy lines on a board they don't bother to have a representative on. Especially considering they, FTC, themselves have stirred the pot a little by posting cartoons of stuff on the facebook page that they don't have the rights to (facts?) causing a lot of people to speculate about all kinds of stuff. To me, thats worse than anything that was posted in this thread or anything Mickey said.
      My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Boxheadman
        • Jul 24, 2014

Let me be absolutely clear about one thing; the guys at Figures Toy are BY FAR my favorite people to work with. It isn't even close. Total pros. It's really difficult to manage expectations in this business. That's probably why you don't have them on here dropping information. Things change quickly. You think you are clear to go forward with a particular figure, then you get a cease and desist notice. You think product is going to arrive from the manufacturer in the Fall, then you get your samples back, the figure has 7 fingers on one hand and all of a sudden the release date is pushed back 4 months. My frustration was never directed toward them. I was frustrated that someone gave them a call and told them something that was untrue. Had I done what I was accused of, the guys at Figures Toy would have had every right to contact me and tell me to "stuff it." Like I said, the conversation ended well. As a matter of fact, they wanted to know more about what all of us had discussed. They have seen this thread. From the fans point of view, that should be all that matters. Look, Figures is going to blow your mind with new product coming. They are all in, as are we. I need them more than they need me and we (Figures Toy and Toycade) need YOU more than anything. Thank you for your input thus far. There are "ears in the cornfield" and I hope you will continue to share your suggestions and constructive criticism in the future.

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
          • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by jayraytee
          The end result as far as I am concerned is that I will lose some respect for FTC; I mean if they get bent out of shape over some discussion about their toy lines on a board they don't bother to have a representative on. Especially considering they, FTC, themselves have stirred the pot a little by posting cartoons of stuff on the facebook page that they don't have the rights to (facts?) causing a lot of people to speculate about all kinds of stuff. To me, thats worse than anything that was posted in this thread or anything Mickey said.
          Agree on posting content that's not associated with licenses they don't have and likely won't. I said when they started doing it that it was a mistake.

Disagree on them posting here. They shouldn't be posting here unless they can effectively devote someone to monitoring and responding just on this board almost all the time. As soon as they start posting here they will just fan the 'haters' and 'cheerleaders', so it will be overwhelming. They are doing what they should be, posting on Facebook where everyone can find them and they have more control over what they respond to and what others post.

They are reading this board, so they know what is being said. I think when some posters criticize over things like tight bodies and big heads then don't really mention when those problems are corrected (see amount of complaints about tight bodies versus time spent on discussing how it was fixed in last few waves), it could send the message to FTC that we'd rather complain than support them.

On the other hand, when we complain about problems and they fix them and we give them props for doing so, that sends a message that they should listen to us because we are trying to point out problems that we want corrected. I think now it looks more like we just want to point out problems.

I do know this: If the big head issue is corrected with the new figures that come out in the next month or two there WILL be discussion and praise of FTC here for correcting the issue. As it should be.
          Last edited by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide; Aug 24, '14, 9:14 PM.

Comment

• jayraytee
            Career Member
            • May 27, 2011

I disagree to a degree. I have run three internet based businesses with my brother on a much larger scale than what these guys are doing, and you can never underestimate the potential for free advertisement. We would hit everything, email lists, messageboards, facebook, fan sites, etc. Anything and everything we could find, we always had a presence and there were just two of us running the things. We did the mailing, layout work, video editing, all the html/perl scripts for the sites, mastering and we dealt with production companies and distributors and retailers and promoters and booking companies. If you are unwilling to visit and interact with the fan base in as many formats as possible, be there to explain any delays and issues, answer questions, etc. then it's hard to complain when someone else fills the void that you left. I agree that they can't be everywhere, but I think this is THE community for Mego-like figure collecting is it not? Every other company makes appearances here.

I am first to admit I am no cheerleader for this company, their history is pretty bad as for as quality goes. But they changed my mind to a large degree with the DC stuff, I am willing to give them my support, but I can still recognise when they do something stupid.

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

If the void is filled by people in-the-know dropping inside information that they are not supposed to be dropping -- and, BTW, I am accusing NO ONE on this board of doing that -- then it is not hard for a company to complain; in fact, they have every right to do so. And in this case, they felt like such an incident might have occurred, thanks to a so-called tipster.

If anything, FTC should look to tighten up outside access to what they are working on and licenses they are trying to secure.

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by jayraytee
                I disagree to a degree. I have run three internet based businesses with my brother on a much larger scale than what these guys are doing, and you can never underestimate the potential for free advertisement. We would hit everything, email lists, messageboards, facebook, fan sites, etc. Anything and everything we could find, we always had a presence and there were just two of us running the things. We did the mailing, layout work, video editing, all the html/perl scripts for the sites, mastering and we dealt with production companies and distributors and retailers and promoters and booking companies. If you are unwilling to visit and interact with the fan base in as many formats as possible, be there to explain any delays and issues, answer questions, etc. then it's hard to complain when someone else fills the void that you left. I agree that they can't be everywhere, but I think this is THE community for Mego-like figure collecting is it not? Every other company makes appearances here.

I am first to admit I am no cheerleader for this company, their history is pretty bad as for as quality goes. But they changed my mind to a large degree with the DC stuff, I am willing to give them my support, but I can still recognise when they do something stupid.
                I think the issue is the negatives are belabored here by a minority of posters, but it's dead-horse beating for those few. For example if they came here they would immediately be barraged with 'guys why the hell haven't you fixed the big head issue?' and then when they tried to explain what was going on there would be 'well *I* have worked with companies that have done this, no reason why you can't!' and it quickly becomes a quicksand mess that they wish they'd never entered.

I do think if Doc Mego was involved with this project there would be a FAR different tone on the feedback. By contrast, I think if FTC was trying to offer 1 repro figure plus 2 spare suits for $80 the criticism would be much louder than we've seen here for the Spidey set.

The culture here is what it is. I do think everyone here is extremely passionate about Megos, we just express it in different ways.
                Last edited by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide; Aug 24, '14, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by TRDouble
                  If the void is filled by people in-the-know dropping inside information that they are not supposed to be dropping -- and, BTW, I am accusing NO ONE on this board of doing that -- then it is not hard for a company to complain; in fact, they have every right to do so. And in this case, they felt like such an incident might have occurred, thanks to a so-called tipster.

If anything, FTC should look to tighten up outside access to what they are working on and licenses they are trying to secure.
                  Yeah I think they need to get a bit more organized about what they are and are not ready to share. I emailed them probably 2 months ago asking if there would be regular versions of Shazam, Aquaman all the fist fighters and they said yes. But they still haven't officially started selling those figures yet or even confirmed them publicly, I don't believe. I think they are fanboys too, they get too excited about what's coming and probably share some stuff before they really should.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Seems like two packs with those characters already shipping is pretty official confirmation.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Invariably people vote with their wallets. FTC is not new to this game and understands no degree of forum socializing will alter the pros and cons of a product's appeal or lack thereof. If anything, lacking a presence might garner more frank reactions that ultimately serve them better than pages of dialed back comments that offer no insight. I don't see any merits for entrepreneurs getting a pat on the back if their pockets are empty. That's happened here more than a few times. Obtaining the popular licenses and offering a competitive advantage over your business peers is what gets people talking. Those who deliver, win the consumer dollar. I look at forums as more of a bonding for hobbyists than anything else. But I don't think a forum "consensus" made from a handful of people reveals anything about how a product will sell. For example, most KISS product has been consistently (and unanimously) hated here, yet FTC is deep into the series and have struck a deal with TRU to make even more. I think the bottom line on their books ultimately tells companies what they need to know. There are no crystal balls in forums because opinions are free.

Comment

• jayraytee
                        Career Member
                        • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by TRDouble

Thats my point exactly. They cause the issue themselves with their own loose lips, they cause more speculation by posting stuff unrelated to their actual products on their facebook page, and then they create the void that others fill by not having a presence and then get bent out of shape over what is or isn't being relayed. If they should be getting bent out of shape at anyone or complaining about anyone it should be themselves. To be clear, I can't tell that Boxheadman said or did anything wrong. The dufus that went and tried to tattle on the otherhand, in my opinion, is part of the problem.

The EMCE guys, the Zica guys and the Castaway guys all post now and then, they might not even give a lot of information. It can be simply a smile in a reply to something that someone says or whatever. A presence doesn't mean they have to get dragged into the mudlsinging that enveribly happens, but it does deter people from trying to take up the position of 'unofficial insider/spokesman' for the company. It reduces the need for people to tattle. It would also help people 'get it' that their issues are not going un-noticed. You can douse some little fires before they become raging infernos. People start complaing about the big head isse... post and just say its being addressed. When there is a void, it will be filled.

Having an official PR person that makes the rounds does more than just announces stuff, it helps set the mood, assist the narrative, etc.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎