X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grimjohn
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 28, 2011

To me, my board!

This is a test sculpt and an interim board for the Silver Surfer custom figure I am working on as I was curious to see if I could actually pull off making his board out of Sculpey. I have a 12" resin Silver Surfer statue with detachable board that will I shrink down for him but, that will have to wait until next year. But, as Silver Surfer is my co-most favorite character of all-time and I managed to find the components to build him, the kid in me wants the figure built this year

I worked on sculpting Mr. Radd's board this past week and today I was finally able to sand it down and smooth out the edges the best I could so I could start applying the paint. Four coats later, the board now has the luster I was going for.

Getting the board to a uniform thickness was quite a chore but nowhere near as daunting a chore as sanding ALL of the imperfections out of the surface. I achieved 90-92% uniform thickness as the left rear section of the board is a bit thinner than the rest of it. And, I achieved about 75% in sanding the imperfections out when it became clear that in order to get it 100% I would have to sacrifice the depth and crispness of the 3 lines running the length of the board. The perfectionist in me still wants 100% but, overall, I am satisfied with the results and the board will suffice until I can mold, shrink, mold and cast the other one.

Here are the before and after pics. Sorry about the quality, had to take these with my phone, my "real" camera's battery is on the charger after I took it to the Woodward Dream Cruise yesterday and drained the battery taking pictures of classic cars.

RaddBoard1.jpg

RaddBoard2.jpg
    My Finished Custom Figures
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

The board looks fine to me...

Comment

• Grimjohn
      Persistent Member
      • Feb 28, 2011

Thanks apes, I appreciate that.