X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
    I always took Bob and Doug as an exaggeration or parody. Since so many "American" actors like William Shatner and Michael J. Fox are actually Canadian it never really crossed my mind that anyone from Canada actually talked like that.
    It's really funny how Moranis and Thomas came up with Bob and Doug. Basically SCTV was partially funded by the Canadian government - and some bureaucrats asked for a sketch that was "more Canadian". So Moranis and Thomas were like, 'What are they talking about? We're all Canadian and we make the show - so it's ALL Canadian. What do they want us to do, sit in front of a huge map of Canada and cook back bacon and drink beer?'

So they created Bob and Doug as a way to make fun of the stupid request - and it ended up being a smash hit.
    Last edited by Brazoo; Aug 19, '14, 1:30 AM.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

SCTV was a huge influence on me back in the day.

EVERYBODY watched SNL, but the cool kids also watched SCTV

How can anything SNL produced compare with this ..........

m

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

What I think is hilarious is the Buffalo accent, just a thin little border but all of a sudden people have a twang.

I went into a "Tops Friendly Market" and asked for Maps. The clerk sent me to the Mop aisle.

When i returned, she said "Oh, I thought you wanted a map to map the floor with".

My friend's girlfriend once asked me to say "horrible", I did and she said "You say HARRIBLE just like dem kids on Degrassi"
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
          How can anything SNL produced compare with this ..........
          I always thought SCTV was funnier. I never understood how SCTV lasted so few seasons and SNL keeps limping along cruelly unfunny.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

I always thought SCTV was funnier. I never understood how SCTV lasted so few seasons and SNL keeps limping along cruelly unfunny.
            Exactly, even at it's best did anyone think "kill my landlord" or "i'm Gumby, damn it" was as funny or clever as anything over at SCTV ?

Comment

• Brazoo
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 14, 2009

I love SCTV.

Originally posted by palitoy
              What I think is hilarious is the Buffalo accent, just a thin little border but all of a sudden people have a twang.

I went into a "Tops Friendly Market" and asked for Maps. The clerk sent me to the Mop aisle.

When i returned, she said "Oh, I thought you wanted a map to map the floor with".

My friend's girlfriend once asked me to say "horrible", I did and she said "You say HARRIBLE just like dem kids on Degrassi"
              Yeah man! That Buffalo accent is really surprising. It's like you drive for an hour and suddenly BLAM - you're in a new world.

--

I was around 14 and at a bar mitzvah in Long Island, New York and a bunch of beautiful girls surrounded me and started firing questions at me, because they thought the way I spoke was absolutely hilarious. "Say aw-ranj! Say aw-ranj!"

"Orange?"

"Oh my gawd! Did j'ya hea-ah the way he said AW-RANJ!!!" It was a very strange experience, and probably damaged me psychologically.

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

The Buffalo accent is strange, some people have a real strong one, and others almost don't have one at all. My mom was born just north of Buffalo in Niagara Falls, NY and she has a moderate Buffalo accent. So of course I've always made fun of it.

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy

You missed Ed and I singing the old Tops jingle, "Tops never stops, giving you more!"

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

I just wish Canadian actors would stop coming to the US

We really need a heavily armed northern border cinderblock fence

Then maybe great homegrown American actors could shine

Comment

• ubermanx
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 3, 2013

No word of a lie ... this next video is EXACTLY how my two stepsons talk. They "muck" down really good food while "going out for a rip" all the time.

Out fer a rip ...

- Marty

Comment

• fallensaviour
                        Talkative Member
                        • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by Mikey
                        I just wish Canadian actors would stop coming to the US

We really need a heavily armed northern border cinderblock fence

Then maybe great homegrown American actors could shine
                        Lol...Nobody is stopping them from shining,except themselves...lol
                        Plus the wall would only stop the ones walking.
                        The rest would just catch a plane....
                        “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Don't feed into it.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• FETT1
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 4, 2012

HOW bout...why can't AMERICANS ship to us collectors in CANUCKLELAND !?!
                            if it AIN'T a toy..I DON'T WANT IT !!!

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by FETT1
                              HOW bout...why can't AMERICANS ship to us collectors in CANUCKLELAND !?!
                              I'm guessing it's probably payback for Canada unleashing Justin Bieber and Celine Dion onto the world.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• fallensaviour
                                Talkative Member
                                • Aug 28, 2006

I'm guessing it's probably payback for Canada unleashing Justin Bieber and Celine Dion onto the world.
                                You guys made them famous by buying their albums....lol
                                And your welcome...lol
                                “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎