Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest toy regret of my life...what's yours?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Toy Timelord
    Banned
    • Aug 4, 2014

Originally posted by rykerw1701
    I had the Mike Mignola Batman Black & White statue in my hands at a comic store for $70...and passed. Decided it was ugly. A year later the thing was going for stupid money and worse I decided it was pretty cool. I'm sure there's some other stuff I've thankfully stricken from memory.
    They reissued it with a slightly different deco, but it's the exact same sculpt. And a beautiful statue.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

My biggest regret was overbuying lines. Through many, many years of collecting new lines I developed bad habits of buying extras because I wanted to open one for display and keep one sealed. Space and new improved packaging has allowed me to let go of that old thinking. I wish I had done it sooner.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

^Same here Tom.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Boywonder0
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 29, 2007

I regret not buying a Mego Aquaman Vs. Great White Shark they had ON CLEARANCE down town where I live in a ten cent store (here in PR).

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

Back in the day, they had a Mego Mugato in a store for $5.
            I thought "stupid monkey, looks nothing like it" and left it.
            Well, somebody was stupid alright...
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

In the 80s, I went to a convention and spotted a Shogun Godzilla. These don't come up here a lot, big pieces like that cost too much shipping to come across the pond.
              So I ran for it, as if seeing Bo Derek on a sunny beach, running towards me. Finally!
              Godzilla was almost within reach...and then someone grabbed it seconds before me. I was crushed.

Didn't get another (affordable) chance until 2007. Seller is in Vegas, but asks for $$$$ in shipping. But my friend Scott lives in Vegas, so I have it delivered to his house, thinking, I'm visiting my friend in 2008, I'll pick it up then.
              Of course, life got in the way, and I haven't made it back there yet. Godzilla's been waiting another 7 years for me...
              Some day...
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Jase25
                MarshallMadeCollectibles
                • Jan 8, 2009

My biggest regret wasn't a Toy it was selling my Amazing Fantasy #15 in F- I bought back in 77' (along with about 10 other older comics) for $25 from a friend with my birthday money, which my dad absolutely went ape s*%t I paid that much for used "Funny Books". I sold it back in 1993....for $300. I needed money for nursing school and a new water pump for the POS I was driving. I see what the book is going for now and I feel like I've been mule kicked in the "boys".

Also it kills me to think of all the Megos I had and played with until they were destroyed. I even had the Greatest American Hero set with the VW bug and 2 figures...which I ended up repainting the car red and putting stickers all over the damn thing....or the straight legged Pocket Hero Aquaman that I shaved down one of his feet because he stood lopsided. Damn....I'm depressed now.
                Thanks ~ Jase

http://stores.ebay.com/Marshall-Made...ctibles?_rdc=1

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                  Invincible Ironing Man
                  • Feb 28, 2008

We're all going to need therapy after this thread.

Comment

• jayraytee
                    Career Member
                    • May 27, 2011

In the 80s, my mom and grandma had a yard sale. Grandma stuck my uncle's 1960s GI Joes in wonder bread bags, 3 figures per back and marked the bag $5. I pleaded with my Mom to buy them and she wouldn't, didn't want to offend grandma or something. My regret is not pushing harder.
                    My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Relic
                      Banned
                      • Jun 24, 2012

I can remember it like it was yesterday. It was August of 1977 ( I was 10 years old ) and me and my little brother were in Duluth Minnesota at a store called Target. They had almost all the WGSH Megos there that day. I remember going back in forth in my mind over getting the Human Torch or the Hulk. My borther and I were only allowed to get 1 Mego each. My brother picked the Green Goblin and I picked the Hulk. When we got back to Canada the Hulk was everywhere but the Human Torch was never seen up here. I always regreted that decision.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 12, 2016

My toy regret is not buying 2 of everything when I got really big into the ARAH Joe line...one to open, one to keep packaged...but who knew...

Also, for selling some mib AT Joe sets back in the 90's for much less than people list them for now on ebay...

If only we could predict the future of certain toy lines....
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

If we all saved the MIP toys bringing big bucks nowadays, they'd be worthless. But of course, it would be nice to won them!

My biggest regret was getting way too wrapped up on then-current toys when I got into collecting in the late 80s. Had I saved dough to buy the then affordable Mego and Super Powers toys I passed over in Toy Fair, I wouldn't be nearly passing out when I see them at Toy Shows now. A loose Cyborg for $475...DANG!!!

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• ovenmitt
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 26, 2009

The Toy collection I regret selling the most is 2002-2009 Toy Biz and Hasbro Marvel Legends. I had all of the waves/ figures, 2 of each on most. 1 to open for display the other to keep MOC. And I found all of these in retail stores mainly Wal-Mart like Giant Man Wave!

I am slowly rebuilding my Marvel figure collection with the new Hasbro ML since 2014 and Diamond Marvel Select. The new ML have better versions of the characters from the original line, but now they are $20 instead of $7 which also came with comic book reprints of classic Issues!

What was I Thinking? Marvel Legends keeps getting better but I wish I still had the old figures, too!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎