Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Starroid Raiders Dagon
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 28, 2013

Looks like I am definitely in the minority in liking the new film better. Thanks for starting the thread because it reminded me to re-watch, and I did last night! One other thing I liked about the film is that Zombie used so many mainstays of horror that he likes in the cast. Richard Lynch, Brad Dourif, Udo Kier, Bill Moseley, Malcolm McDowell, Dee Wallace, Ken Foree, Sid Haig which makes the movie even more enjoyable for me.

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

like them both, but the original is way better.. no comparison for me
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

I guess the main problem is that we've all seen too much of this stuff already, and film makers seem to think that we need "more more more" to keep us entertained.
        When Old Michael stabbed once, 1970s audiences were shocked.
        These days, they think we need like 17 stabs to be "impressed".

It's like Star Wars. in the OT, the TIE fighter attack had 4 enemy vessels. It was awesome!
        These days, it has to be a fleet of 500 CG vessels, or we "won't be impressed".

Hamburgers need to be stacked 8 inch high, with tons of meat, and cheese and extra bacon...
        They're shoving that "more more more" kind of attitude down our throats, thinking it's a good thing. It's just giving me heartburn.
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• 4NDR01D
          Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
          • Jan 22, 2008

I think Devil's Rejects is one of my favorite movies of last 20 years, everything else he's done has been pretty blah though.

Comment

• fallensaviour
            Talkative Member
            • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
            I think Devil's Rejects is one of my favorite movies of last 20 years, everything else he's done has been pretty blah though.
            Same here loved the ending very butch and sundance...lol
            Even my wife liked this film and she hates horror/slasher films.
            “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• YoungOnce
              Career Member
              • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
              Carpenter's original is superior in every way, IMHO.
              Ditto. Subtle is hard but resonates when it works. Anybody can do these current horror movies where nothing is held back and there is no reason for your "theatre of the mind" to imagine the worst.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Never cared for either one

Just don't think slasher films are scary

If anything they're kinda boring

Now give me a 164 foot mutated Japanese dinosaur and we'll talk

Comment

• firestarcomics
                  Museum Patron
                  • Jun 19, 2014

Rob Zombie should stick to his music. He and Madonna DO NOT belong behind or in front of ANY movie camera. He makes the worst movies in the world an proceeds to ruin anything he touches as well, he's no director and lacks the ability to create anything fresh. You cant outdo John Carpenter and that's just a fact. Zombie just does things because he needs the cash and attention but that's what happens when youre rich and bored to death. He hasn't had a hit record in ages so there must be something else he can do and that's destroying classic movies with his useless take on other peoples brilliant works. The same thing can be said the pointless remakes of Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday the 13th. Its NOT about getting old my friend, its about Hollywood being incredibly lazy and milking anything classic for new naïve audience.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                    Wake Up Heavy
                    • Jan 31, 2010

I finally watched Zombie's Halloween II the other day and share in the negative sentiments stated here. It was just bad bad bad. The worst part for me was Laurie's constant screaming. Every time she was attacked she shrieked hysterically the whole time. I'm surprised I finished the darn thing.
                    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• scoth70
                      Persistent Member
                      • Oct 17, 2008

mmmmm THE SMOG MONSTER !!!

Originally posted by Mikey
                      Never cared for either one

Just don't think slasher films are scary

If anything they're kinda boring

Now give me a 164 foot mutated Japanese dinosaur and we'll talk

Comment

• TomStrong
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 22, 2011

I teach high school and ( here comes my old man rant) kids now don't pick up on "subtle". Everything has to be explained to death. My step daughter is the same way, she can't sit through a movie long enough to find out how subtle it is because she can't not text long enough to know. In fact she came home the other day talking about her college English class and "King Author"!
                        So I think Zombie knows who this movies for. It's definite not for those of use old enough to remember the first one. Carpenter left enough space for his flick to be creepy and Michael to be mysterious. Zombie explains enough to make familiarity become contemptible.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                          Invincible Ironing Man
                          • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Iron Mego
                          I'm surprised I finished the darn thing.
                          I didn't.
                          If I don't like a movie after 15 minutes, I usually quit these days.
                          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• artskull
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 14, 2010

A friend and fellow horror fan explained it to me this way… No point in getting upset about sequels, remakes, etc… Should "Frankenstein" have stopped with the Karloff version? What if John Carpenter had never done his version of "The Thing"? Although I'm not a big fan of Rob Zombie's "Halloween", I now think it's fun and necessary to have new creatives take a whack at classic characters just to keep them fresh. Whether said creatives take is on the character or film is "good" or not is simply up to the viewer.
                            --
                            ArtSkull: Graphic Design & Illustration

Comment

• tay666
                              Career Member
                              • Dec 27, 2008

The only good thing about most of the horror remakes, is that they are usually accompanied by new releases of the originals as well.

Without that horrid Night Stalker series in 2005 I doubt we would have gotten the original on DVD.
                              And even though I can't remember any others off the top of my head, I do remember some better transfers of classics being done in conjunction with some of the newer remakes.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎