X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • melstapler
    Museum Super Collector
    • Aug 2, 2014

Help! Mego bodies discoloration on plastic from clothes

As a longtime collector of Mego figures, I've noticed that certain figures develop discoloration on the plastic bodies, which is caused by the fabric clothes. Does anyone know some home remedies to prevent future discoloration? For about a year now, I've been soaking the clothes in a bucket of water with a small amount of detergent. It seems to get dirt out, but I'm not sure if it removes the excess dyes which cause the discoloration. My biggest fear is that it could fade the shirts and pants.
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

Never that that happen before.
    Do you have it with several figures? Which ones?
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I've only noticed this happen on the light-blue, less opaque pelvises you see on Waltons & Star Trek Megoes. I just figured this plastic was more susceptible to dye transfer & switched them out to another color.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• megowgsh
        Customego HoF Curator
        • Nov 19, 2003

pictures would be nice
        Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• melstapler
          Museum Super Collector
          • Aug 2, 2014

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
          Never that that happen before.
          Do you have it with several figures? Which ones?
          Yep, the blues and darks tend to leave the most discoloration. For example, my Superman and Spock figures have suffered from this problem. I'm hesitant to put hydrogen peroxide on the plastic, because it could discolor the body or compromise the integrity of the already aged plastic.

Comment

• starsky
            veteran member
            • Aug 26, 2007

i get the clothes changing colors - like the superman or batman suit turning light brownish/rust color around the stomach area or to the side of it especially since they started out super mint with bright colors.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎