X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

The Frank Frazetta Museum

I got to cross off an item from my bucket list. Shout out to my road trip co-pilot CJefferys.

It recently reopened to very little fanfare a couple of months back. After closing years ago amidst infighting amongst his children/heirs after the death of his wife, and just prior to his passing.

Thanks to the efforts of curator Frank Frazetta Jr, there is still a substantial collection representing Frazetta's legacy. Although one can only imagine what the museum's collection was like prior to being split amongst the four Frazetta sons and daughters.

Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 31, '14, 12:04 AM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • ubermanx
    Career Member
    • Jul 3, 2013

Gahhhhh ...

Can't believe I couldn't go on this trip.

- Marty

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

Ed and I had a blast on this trip! Great museum and we got to hear lots of great stories from Frank Jr. about his dad. I'll post some pics tonight. Lots of fun!

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Amiably jealous of your visit, but thanks for sharing. I've wanted a look ever since seeing the Frazetta documentary years ago.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Random Axe
          The Voice of Reason
          • Apr 16, 2008

The most powerful fantasy artist ever and possibly my favorite artist of any genre or medium. He influenced so many pieces of artwork I did in my youth and maybe still today. He is the gold standard of book cover artists. Death Dealer remains the best piece of fantasy art ever put to canvas.
          I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by cjefferys
            Ed and I had a blast on this trip! Great museum and we got to hear lots of great stories from Frank Jr. about his dad. I'll post some pics tonight. Lots of fun!
            the idea of Frank Frazetta watching Bob Ross on TV like a spectator sport was hilarious.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah, I can just picture him yelling at the TV screen "No, no, the painting is finished! Stop!" Hearing so many stories about Frazetta from his son was just icing on the cake and added a whole extra dimension to the visit, I'm so glad he was there at the time. It's really fortunate that he wants to curate as much of Frank's legacy as he can and preserve his memory. If he was like his siblings, all the paintings would be sold and in private collections at this point and the average person would never have the opportunity to see them.

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

Here's some pics I took:

Comment

• YoungOnce
                  Career Member
                  • Aug 29, 2007

Wow.... I'd love to visit there. I recognize so many of those. Thanks for posting some fantastic pics!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

Wow, childhood memories are flooding back!
                    I had several of his posters on my bedroom wall...
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• mpramuk
                      Museum Patron
                      • Nov 24, 2007

Awesome pics! I an envious of your experience. Good to hear that this museum is again open.
                      Looking for redhead AJ heads (or figures) - both bearded & clean shaven (I'm trying to complete all the variations).
                      Also seeking: 1 blue Soldier Ape glove, 1 General Ape boot, sun reflector from PotA Fortress playset.

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

I cannot recommend visiting this place enough. Particularly on a Saturday when Frazetta Jr is around. I can only imagine the days when Frazetta himself was still alive and painting in the studio next door. Having him wander over and chat would have been mind-blowing.

and folks who can't make it there should really support the museum by buying from their online store. The prints in particular at $15 are a steal. Amazing reproductions on quality paper stock.

very cool rare portfolios, statues, t-shirts and other collectibles as well.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

Awesome! Frazetta was a true master of his art. One of the all time greats, in my opinion.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎