X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoscott
    Founding Partner
    • Nov 17, 2006

ReMego vs 3 3/4

Ran into Jason Lenzi from Bifbangpow yesterday at Comic-Con and we chatted briefly. I asked him about the rise of the 334 figure over Mego and he mentioned an aspect of the process that I hadn't been aware of. It's not so much about production costs (tooling, swings, etc) as you might think. He said that studios and licensors tend to approve the figures much more quickly which makes all the difference in costs. The simplicity of the style aids in the approval process. Likenesses aren't fussed over as much, clothing color, shade, texture....these are all things for studios and their committees of input to really get lost in and cause expensive delays.

Interesting.

It makes me wish whoever was in charge of DC licensing would ride FTC a little harder...!
    This profile is no longer active.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

That really jives, the #1 reason we got so few Doctor Who figures is the freaking BBC nit picking every last detail of the 8" figures.

It also explains how Funko is able to shoot out so much product in such little time.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

I don't think Funko paid for likeness rights, did they? I can only assume that is the case.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

I really like the clean simple look of Kenner style figures. Depending on the license I think 3 3/4 inch scale is some times a better fit than 8 inch. Flash Gordon 1980 is a good example. Had there been a line for that in the 80s it would have been Kenner style. But now Planet of the Apes, I think 8 inch Mego scale is a better fit.

I'm probably in the minority on this here. I'd love a retro SW line but I'd want it in classic Kenner style and scale with vintage style Kenner cards. When I think SW, I think Kenner.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• madmarva
          Talkative Member
          • Jul 7, 2007

I'm not a 3 3/4 collector, but it's really cool to see all the product. It'll be hard for me to pass up the Universal Monsters line, but I really don't need them. I have to keep telling myself that.
          Last edited by madmarva; Jul 25, '14, 7:53 AM.

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

I can't believe how much money Hasbro leaves on the table, not revisiting vintage sculpting for Star Wars.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
              I can't believe how much money Hasbro leaves on the table, not revisiting vintage sculpting for Star Wars.
              Totally. I'm not really the collect them all type and don't buy extras to keep sealed on the card. But if Hasbro would ever release retro SW figures on vintage cards, I would buy the hell out of them. I'm STILL disappointed they didn't make another retro 4 pack of replica Kenner figures like that one from 95. Loved that set. Imagine those on 12 back cards. Awesome!!
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

Originally posted by Hedji
                Didn't they do this in the early 2000s?

Comment

• MysteryWho
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 16, 2008

Ever since the 3 3/4 trend starting gathering steam those figures have been tugging at me. So far, I've only purchased the SMDM stuff, but it's a slippery slope. When the smaller figures supplanted 8 and 12 inch I rode the wave but I longed for the Megos of old. It was the first time I remember feeling nostalgic. I almost feel like I'm seeing that happen all over again. But there is a place in my heart for the little ones too. Otherwise I wouldn't be so tempted. And based on what companies like NECA, EMCE, and FTC appear to be doing, the 8 inch format isn't going anywhere. So if BBP transitioning to the Kenner style is a better business model for them, so be it. Just make some Outer Limits or Kolchak figures, willya?

Comment

• jayraytee
                    Career Member
                    • May 27, 2011

Have absolutely no interest whatsoever in 3" figures of any kind. I hate seeing all the focus on that format. Make mine Mego.
                    My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by jayraytee
                      I hate seeing all the focus on that format.
                      There is insane amount of amazing figures coming out in the 8 Mego scale. I mean, whoever thought we'd get Batman 66 figures in the Mego style or finally get an 8 inch Taylor to go with the Mego apes. Especially such a terrific looking one. It's an absolutely fantastic time to be a Mego style collector. Nothing to be upset about and no reason to be upset 3 3/4 inch figure are being made too. It's all good.

Comment

• LordMudd
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 22, 2011

I believe that 3 3/4" is the best 'action figure' scale. There are 3 things needed for a successful line, as proven by Kenner Star Wars and Hasbro Joe, and they are: figures, vehicles, and playsets. This is the only scale at which all 3 of these things are cost effective. Anyone care to speculate what you might pay for a USS Flagg in 8" scale? This scale lets you immerse yourself in the world of the characters.

Also, they take up less space so you can get more of them.

CCC.

Comment

• Chris
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by jayraytee
                          Have absolutely no interest whatsoever in 3" figures of any kind. I hate seeing all the focus on that format. Make mine Mego.
                          Yes! I feel the same way. Right or wrong, I blame 3 3/4 for the initial death of our precious 1:9 cloth format.

These days there is something for everybody.
                          Last edited by Chris; Jul 26, '14, 10:51 AM.
                          If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by LordMudd
                            I believe that 3 3/4" is the best 'action figure' scale. There are 3 things needed for a successful line, as proven by Kenner Star Wars and Hasbro Joe, and they are: figures, vehicles, and playsets. This is the only scale at which all 3 of these things are cost effective. Anyone care to speculate what you might pay for a USS Flagg in 8" scale? This scale lets you immerse yourself in the world of the characters.

Also, they take up less space so you can get more of them.

CCC.
                            I agree with this 1000%. A huge part of the fun of vintage lines, whether it was Star Wars, Super Powers, Secret Wars, or even He-Man was the vehicles and playsets. Had 8-inch figures remained dominant, we would never have had such great toys as the Millennium Falcon, Castle Grayskull, etc.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

But 1/6 GI Joe and 1/8 Mego had lots of playsets and vehicles.

Surely "the success" of smaller scales had more to do with the economy and production costs? Not a hater, I liked Star Wars as a kid, & Super Powers, MOTU. But clothed figures are always more appealing to me.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎