Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

I'm no fan of the movie but I liked the Ming figure and decided to order one. Since Ming is no good without Flash Gordon I ordered him as well. They arrived today and look great. They have a real retro feel to them. I agree with Palitoy that they look like a smaller company got the liscense back in the day and that adds to the fun. My only complaint is the sparkles on Ming's robe. That's a minor quibble. I like them both a lot.

Comment

• TRDouble
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 10, 2012

Nice!

Mine are sitting in a huge Pile of Loot at BBTS. Just waiting on the ReAction Captain Cold to show up so I can ship.

Comment

• powersthatbe
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 27, 2010

i should have these by the end of the week from BBTS,a week before my birthday

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

These are so full of win. Let's give a huge round of applause to BBP and ZICA for righting a toy wrong. These figures are delightful, in and out of the package. That's why I bought two sets. Well, almost two. I still need another Flash and Aura.

I know I originally balked at the extra articulation. It turns out I really like it. It adds play value. Those who know me know I'm more than happy to admit when I'm wrong. This is one of those cases.

Palitoy is right, they are not Kenner-like. I like your idea of considering them contemporaries of Kenner like Mego, Mattel, LJN, etc. Kenner wasn't the only game in town, and although Kenner are often considered the gold standard, I don't think every retro line needs to be a Kenner clone to be considered retro.

I originally thought these would have vinyl capes. They are fabric. It is more like a late POTF figure or Super Powers cape rather than a Remco monster vinyl.

A couple of critiques: Flash's boots were super duper shiny in the film. I'd really like to see the retro manufacturers get back to using some glossy paints or shinier plastics. For some reason, I equate shiny with toy and matte with modern post-McFarlane collectible.

The glitter on Ming is a bit of a bold move, but within moments of freeing him from the bubble, I had glitter on my hands.

Has anyone actually been able to get Baron's sword to go through that loop on his belt like a sheath? Is it meant to?

This line could be incredibly vast. I hope these do well. There are at least two Flash costume changes that could anchor multiple waves with secondary characters.

How about a Rocket Cycle or Spike Platform playset?

So many costume changes, so many characters. I hope this line goes the distance. I plan to buy the heck out of them.

Comment

• TRDouble
            Permanent Member
            • Jul 10, 2012

My figures finally arrived and I had a quick moment to look at them.

Very well done! I'm not the biggest 3-3/4" fan, but I have my share and these rank as some of the better ones. Nice sculpts with enough articulation for play-ability, but still retaining the look and feel of a toy.

A nice medium between the overly simple ReAction figures and the 'more is not always better' Marvel Universe (Infinite) figures.

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

Are there any good stands for the these figures and/or ReAction figures? I would love to display these and for the most part, they stand on their own, but I am thinking about putting them into a case and I would like them to remain standing when I move the case. I could use sticky tack, but I would prefer a small stand.

Comment

• Hamonrye
                • Jan 4, 2008

Received mine today and they're very fun. Some stuck joints, but a visit to the freezer took care of that. Except for Vultan's head-- i can't get it to turn yet.

Echoing comments about Ming's glitter. It started flaking off immediately. I may have to hit him with a clear coat of something. Also, I can't tell if his head is supposed to be able to turn or not.

Barin's sword does fit in the belt-loop but it took some doing. I used a small awl to pry the loop open.

Wish Aura had more paint detail on her face. She looks extra alien without eye-shadow. I might try giving her a makeover.

Hawk City Flash's hands are sculpted too open for him to hold his sword. Anyone else encounter this?

Enough complaining. The sculpts and likenesses are great, and the proportions are much more satisfying than certain other retro fig lines. Thanks for making this happen, BBP and Z!

Comment

• Joshua the Atomic Robot
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 14, 2012

Originally posted by Hamonrye
                  Hawk City Flash's hands are sculpted too open for him to hold his sword. Anyone else encounter this?
                  I have the Flash Gordon & Ming the Merciless Hawk City Two-Pack, and neither Flash nor Ming can hold their swords. I wasn't under the impression that the hands were too wide so much as the sword hilts were too small... but either way you slice it the result is the same.

Comment

• Hamonrye
                    • Jan 4, 2008

My Hawk City Ming can just hold his sword, although I'm leaving it on his belt for display.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎