Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

I think it'd be interesting if Rock played both Captain Marvel and Black Adam in a dual role. BA is basically a doppleganger character anyway. It just makes sense. Might give Rock a chance to flex his acting muscles a bit too.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I know Black Adam is a the logical choice for villain, but I'm going to go against the grain here and say I'm pretty sick of Black Adam. He wore out his welcome to me in the pre-New 52, when Geoff Johns decided he was more interesting than Captain Marvel. I think Johns is now trying to do the same for Lex Luthor. As long as they don't cast Paul Giamatti in the role, I'm not really concerned about him.

Billy is definitely the next important role in this equation.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
        Talkative Member
        • Jul 7, 2007

Dwayne's idea of duel role sounds fun, but really Black Adam could be avoided. Sivana was THE prime villain of Marvel's in the Golden age. He was Cap's Luthor or Joker, not Black Adam.

As much as I complained about the lack of action in Superman Returns, every super hero film doesn't need to be the slugfest Man of Steel was, which is exactly what Black Adam as a foe would ultimately lead to.

I'm pretty sure we'll be getting the New52 version of the character, too, because Geoff Johns is a co-producer and could be working on the story. So it's not just Billy, but also Freddie and Mary and several other kids. Plus, there's a bit of Harry Potter thrown into the mix with magic being manifested in more ways than Greek god-like powers.

I actually kind of liked his take on Shazam. It deviates from what we all know as Captain Marvel, especially if you're thinking of the serial with Tom Tyler or the TV series. Johns borrows a good bit from old film Boys Town. Billy's streetwise, tough on the outside, but tender underneath. He's a foster kid and the other foster children in his home bring out the best and worst in him at various times.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
          OH JES!!
          • Jul 21, 2005

If you don't make it a fun movie for the kids to enjoy it will fail. Captain Marvel's Hey day's were in the 40's a period piece with him in that time would work better. If you make it too buffoonish it'll die in the box office. The Rock may fill the suit but I still don't think he's a really good actor. I always see him not the Character but I'd prefer him as Black Adam working with Dr.Sivana......I would prefer someone who actually looked like Marvel with a full head of hair.....lol I also agree you need to cast a good actor to play Billy. In all his incarnations, It's Billy that carries the movie or TV show not cap.....

Jerry Ordway's Shazam Graphic Novel is how the movie should be done. He modernized Cap and made it all work.....
          Last edited by kingdom warrior; Jul 23, '14, 8:53 AM.

Comment

• monitor_ep
            Talkative Member
            • May 11, 2013

Remember this is to fit into the DC Cinematic Universe. They had Superman kill Zod so do you really expect them to be faithful to the Shazam stories???
            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by monitor_ep
              Remember this is to fit into the DC Cinematic Universe. They had Superman kill Zod so do you really expect them to be faithful to the Shazam stories???
              hate to break it to you, but it was faithful to a story. Byrne had Supes execute Zod in 1986.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                Jerry Ordway's Shazam Graphic Novel is how the movie should be done. He modernized Cap and made it all work.....
                This is what I'd prefer, too, but when Johns became CCO at DC, he reworked the GL script to shoehorn his ideas in. The new TV Flash is his revamped origin and I'm guessing Shazam will be, too.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

hate to break it to you, but it was faithful to a story. Byrne had Supes execute Zod in 1986.
                  Yeah, I brought that up multiple times last summer when fans were having a coronary over MOS. I'm still a bit disappointed they went in the direction they did, but given that direction, they handled it well, and it wasn't unprecedented.

Considering the film's title, and their depiction of Krypton, relying on Byrne's big climax for the film shouldn't have been that surprising, really.

This is what I'd prefer, too, but when Johns became CCO at DC, he reworked the GL script to shoehorn his ideas in. The new TV Flash is his revamped origin and I'm guessing Shazam will be, too.
                  I'm afraid you may be right. I do hope they keep some lightness to the film. Johnson is far too charming to mire down in dour moodiness, and it doesn't suit the character anyway you slice it. I used to like Johns a lot, but he's too interested in the nasty side of super heroics for my taste these days.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jul 7, 2007

The new Shazam isn't bleak like Johns' darker stuff. It's my favorite of his work since Blackest Night. I can see the logic in the additions he made. Making Billy a foster kid is a logical update and having Freddie and Mary be foster brothers and sisters among others is a fairly organic extension. I don't like the new logo or the hooded cape, but I enjoyed the story.

But it is different than the original story, which I think most captain Marvel fans find charming.

Can Rock pull off Playing a teen in an adult body. That's kind of already his persona.
                    Last edited by madmarva; Jul 23, '14, 5:30 PM.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 11, 2013

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      I remember this, but then it was ruled out.

I said it before. Man of Steel was supposed to be a movie just to fill in the filmed and then forgotten. The only reason it was rushed was because of the lawsuit that was in court at the time. This movie was not supposed to be the anchor to the DC Cinematic Universe. It was stated that after the lawsuit went DC way, they would then start the work on the DC Cinematic Universe. The problem was Marvel was killing them at the box-office so they decided to go ahead and rework the movie adding in all the DC Universe using CGI to add them in.

So I am not expecting any from this point from DC to really sway the people. Plus I do NOT like the DCnU so that does not help matters.
                      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                        If you don't make it a fun movie for the kids to enjoy it will fail. Captain Marvel's Hey day's were in the 40's a period piece with him in that time would work better. If you make it too buffoonish it'll die in the box office. The Rock may fill the suit but I still don't think he's a really good actor. I always see him not the Character but I'd prefer him as Black Adam working with Dr.Sivana......I would prefer someone who actually looked like Marvel with a full head of hair.....lol I also agree you need to cast a good actor to play Billy. In all his incarnations, It's Billy that carries the movie or TV show not cap.....

You keep saying that, and I disagree. While the Rock is definitely not Daniel Day Lewis (lol)...he's pretty good for a muscle-bound action hero. I mean, is wooden and mechanical Arnold Schwarzenegger any better? Of course not...but we all go to see his movies. The Rock is certainly a better actor than Steven Seagal (worst actor in history), Jean Claude Van Damne (has mellowed out over time), and Chuck Norris (he's an actor?) put together. I'd even might place the Rock above Sylvester Stallone (who sometimes I can't understand what's he's saying) too. The thing about the Rock is that his affable real life persona comes across on screen as well...and that makes him likable.

Don't hate the Rock...appreciate the GREAT ONE...

sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

The Rock is still saying he'd prefer playing Black Adam. He wants to be the bad guy instead of the good guy.

Comment

• Mego Milk
                            Custom Mego Maker
                            • Jun 3, 2007

RRRRRrrrrroCK!

Comment

• TomStrong
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 22, 2011

That Vosloo guy that played Imhotep in the mummy movies would make a great Black Adam, not sure if he has the physicality though.

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by TomStrong
                                That Vosloo guy that played Imhotep in the mummy movies would make a great Black Adam, not sure if he has the physicality though.
                                You might be on to something.

The funny thing, he's actually an Afrikanar of Dutch and German ancestry. But he easily passes as Egyptian or Middle Eastern.

Vosloo is 6' 2"...and he does compliment the Rock nicely...

The only things I see the producers/casting directors passing on him...is that he's mostly known as a character actor...and he's 52...probably a tad too old for the role now.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎