Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • torgospizza
    Theocrat of Pan Tang
    • Aug 19, 2010

I'd like to see what they come up with. Hopefully, it will give new life to the old films and make kids more aware of them. Keeping them in the same shared universe is a good move, too.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Using the Mummy is tricky IMO: Imhotep is much more imposing, almost a rival for Dracula; Kharis is more of a henchman.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

If these trailers for "Dracula Untold" is their first offering, I'm not hopeful for the rest.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Even if this is intended to be kind of a pre-quel or back story, I think trying to directly link the historical Prince Vlad with Universal's Count Dracula is an unnecessary misstep. I personally feel it actually dilutes Universal's unique take on Count Dracula. Universal's Count is very loosely based on Bram Stokers book and is even further removed from Prince Vlad then even the original novel was. Dracula Untold looks more like a remake of Coppola's 1992 Dracula than an update of Universal. Might still end up being a good Dracula movie. Just not a good Universal Monsters Dracula movie.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
            Even if this is intended to be kind of a pre-quel or back story, I think trying to directly link the historical Prince Vlad with Universal's Count Dracula is an unnecessary misstep. I personally feel it actually dilutes Universal's unique take on Count Dracula. Universal's Count is very loosely based on Bram Stokers book and is even further removed from Prince Vlad then even the original novel was. Dracula Untold looks more like a remake of Coppola's 1992 Dracula than an update of Universal. Might still end up being a good Dracula movie. Just not a good Universal Monsters Dracula movie.
            Exactly. I think what really kills the modern day vampires, is this need to humanize them in such a way that somehow explains their behavior. I hate that because it completely removes the mystic from the villain thus leaving little impact for the viewer. Its like making a movie about Jaws today and playing it so that you feel sorry when the Great White blows up. Let the monsters shine.

Comment

• madmarva
              Talkative Member
              • Jul 7, 2007

Originally the new Dracula flick wasn't planned as part of the revival/reboot of the Universal Monsters brand, but now it is.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=108547

Hopefully, it'll be good.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

My daughter is begging me to go see that with her.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

Untold has been long in development. This was an old deal that Uni had to see through for some kind of return and to get the rights free and clear for the Monster Rally...which I wish had other people involved. The Lost guys are all sizzle.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^They must be getting good word of mouth on this, to shift the reboot over to this film right before hit hits. It's a bit risky. If it tanks, it could derail the whole idea.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

^It's because of the producer, Mike DeLuca. He ran New Line and made Blade, Seven and LOTR. He won Oscar for Social Network and is producing 50 Shades of Grey, so the dude is a beast right now. But he was in a lull when he started on Dracula and Universal wasn't going to produce it until Legendary moved to NBCU and he got them to pick up the financing with Relatuvity. So while NBCU has little current investment, it's more of a make good and a need to get some kind of ROI for seven years of development funds.

Comment

• madmarva
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jul 7, 2007

If the movie does OK, the advantage to working it into the reboot is not having to do a Dracula origin when they get to him or do a rally movie. I'd argue the characters are well known enough not to worry about origins anyway, but this gives them an easy out.

I also hope they avoid adapting Stoker's novel. I love the novel, but I've seen so many takes ( faithful or not) on the basic plot that I want to see something new.

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

At least they're opening it in October and not February like the Wolfman.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎