Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TomStrong
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2011

I want this to work very badly. I just hope they keep it classic and classy. The cgi thing can really make some things cheesy. You guys hit the nail on the head with Van Helsing. It could have been so cool but they go over the top with the computer stuff. But then again I thought puppet Yoda superior to cgi yoda. Again, I just hope it's classic and classy.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

Done right it can be great...done wrong and we have van helsing......crosses fingers hopes for the best....

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
        Persistent Member
        • Apr 28, 2013

I didnt mind Van Helsing and I knew it would get so much replay on TV. I would have loved it as a kid. I am kind of surprised a real over the top Frankenstein hasnt been made by some studio. Some mismatched sized limbs, big bolts on the neck, blue or green flesh color. I'm a bit bored with the Frankenstein monsters that look like a regular guy with some stitches and contact lenses. I have high hopes for the movies in the story link. I'm all in for more Universal movie monster love.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by ubermanx
          Here's the thing though. If this reboot movie sucks beyond sucking I am sure we can all wash that bad taste out of our mouths by rewatching the classic films. That's what makes them classic. They are irreplaceable and infinitely rewatchable.

- Marty
          The irony here is of course that back in their day, the Universal horror films, although popular with audiences, were considered trashy, throw-away "B" movies compared with other studio fare. They wouldn't be regarded as classics until decades later.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

^You're right in recommending Baker, he's a fan and "gets it."

And whatever they choose to do, let's not have more of this vampires vs. werewolves schtick, jeez that's tired. I blame it all on Abbott & Costello lol.
            Esp. since vampires can do what werewolves do and sooo much more.

(Hec should be here shortly, uh-oh.)
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• megojim
              Permanent Member
              • Oct 13, 2001

I'd love to see Frank Darabont take these on . . . . hope this pans out. can't beat the classic monsters
              My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

I know that this could end up bad, but I'm glad they are attempting it. I'm probably in the minority, but I hope they hold back on the gore.

I liked the del Toro Wolfman film. Wasn't great, but it was OK. However, the gore was so over-the-top that there is no way very many kids could see it the theaters.

I don't know about you guys, but I became a fan of the universal monster films as a first-grader from buying a book at a school book fair. The next year I was overjoyed to see the AHI monsters in stores. It was probably a couple of years later before I saw my first actual film, which was House of Frankenstein, but I had read all about them.

I'm not suggesting toning it down to Monster Squad level, although I really like that movie, but at least make them PG-13, where a wider audience can enjoy the films.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, a PG-13 rating would be best. It can still be moody and suspenseful, but this needs to appeal to a broader audience than the gore crowd that can open a movie at $20 million; and then it's gone from theaters.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

I'm, personally, not interested in anything past PG-13. I have zero interest in seeing the Universal Monsters turned into a torture filled gore fest.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Tone-wise, I like the gore-level in the first Fraser Mummy film: creepy-gross, but not gruesome.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                        OH JES!!
                        • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
                        I'm, personally, not interested in anything past PG-13. I have zero interest in seeing the Universal Monsters turned into a torture filled gore fest.
                        Yep! Agree....Universal Monsters played with your mind, no need for gore. That's why I love those movies so much.

Comment

• MegoCapnMike
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 22, 2012

Well, it may not appeal to a wide range audience, but I think they should stay as much in tone as possible with the original 1930s versions myself. Set them in that time period as Dracula and Frankenstein were. Hell, even make them in black and white (no chance of that I know). But gore and violence should be a those levels IMO.

I'm looking forward to this though.
                          Looking for:

--Lion Rock "Mr Rock's" shoes/ boots (these may also be the same as the lion rock monster line boots)

--Mystery Astronaught

Comment

• madmarva
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jul 7, 2007

What would you think of Andy Serkis as a mo-cap Frankenstein or Wolfman?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

^No thanks. I really hope they use real actors with practical effects. The Universal monsters were all about pathos (well, maybe not Dracula), and to be able to relate to the monster, you need to have a human in there, IMHO.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                                Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                                • Jan 22, 2008

I'd like to see Tim Burton get a crack at doing an actual Universal Monster film. You can kinda tell he's always wanted too.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎