X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Universal Monsters getting rebooted

Closes eyes, crosses fingers, hopes for the best.....

I think we're getting an Avengers of Monsters.

We've been getting an idea of what Roberto Orci is up to since the split, but what is his former partner doing? Alex Kurtzman and writer Chris Morgan have
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

I can't wait for this...but they better not screw it up. First and foremost, they need to get Rick Baker to do all the character makeups. None of this CGI Van Helsing garbage.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

As long as the characters stay close to the classic looks, I'm fine.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

I can't really feel great about it until I see a treatment. We got this same publicity from Van Helsing and that wasn't a sniff of what I was hoping for. The classics have remained that way for a reason. Plus with the estates of some of the most iconic, famous monsters holding certain rights to their looks, no one has been able to duplicate many of these classic designs since before those actors died. We'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

• jimsmegos
          Mego Dork
          • Nov 9, 2008

Sony worked it out

Comment

• Godzilla
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 3, 2002

Hammer did an excellent job rebooting them so I'm not worried. If they're good, they'll become classic adaptations for the modern age. If they're bad, they'll become Jack Nicholson's Wolf (probably not a fair comparison as that movie is ok- just kind of dull).
            Mortui Vivos Docent
            The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Van Helsing was a terrible let down and I'm not a picky monster guy. I was first in line for Hotel Transylvania and loved it.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

The SOP for studios is to make the bad guys, heroes, so that's what we're going to get. They'll all be victims of circumstances, namely Euro Industrialists.

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

I read this thread on the legal entitlements of Sarah Karloff to her father's image, which I found interesting. If I'm reading that right, Universal could use her dad's likeness as Frankenstein or the Mummy in any projects they have for film. But I think she just has protective rights on how the image is licensed. It's a great read. Very interesting.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

They way I understand it is, each actor's estate has control over the actor's likeness. Universal has the rights to the looks and designs of the characters. So, for example, Universal can do a Frankenstein monster in the Jack Pierce make up and movie costume as long as they use a generic likeness. Same for Dracula and the others. Obviously, this doesn't effect the Creature, lol.

I doubt this matters anyway. As much as I 'd love it, I really can't see them going too close to the classic designs. Some exec is bound to think they are not edgy and extreme enough for modern audiences.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                      Invincible Ironing Man
                      • Feb 28, 2008

I haven't been too happy with the recent reboots (Mummy, Van Helsing), with the exception of the Wolfman, which wasn't bad.

I just hope it will be respectful towards to originals in the mood and tone (so no "funny" business), and that also means live actors with prosthetics wherever possible.

If Guillermo Del Toro were behind this, I'd feel quite safe...
                      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I want to root for this, but I'm jaded & apprehensive lol.

I will admit I like Bram Stoker's Dracula despite the dodgy cast.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ubermanx
                          Career Member
                          • Jul 3, 2013

I am a bit easier to please.

Make me forget about business issues, home issues, children issues, parental issues, my chore list, my lack of money to buy what I want when I want it, etc ... for 90 minutes and I will reward you with either a second movie ticket or I'll buy your flick on disc.

Van Helsing was watchable but not a favorite. Hotel Transylvania was a good laugh. Wolfman was a bit thick and drama-y for me. Liked the first few Mummy movies.

Here's the thing though. If this reboot movie sucks beyond sucking I am sure we can all wash that bad taste out of our mouths by rewatching the classic films. That's what makes them classic. They are irreplaceable and infinitely rewatchable.

I don't dwell on Jar Jar, I just pop in the laserdisc version of Star Wars in all its flawed glory and I am 8 years old again.

- Marty

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by ubermanx
                            ...Here's the thing though. If this reboot movie sucks beyond sucking I am sure we can all wash that bad taste out of our mouths by rewatching the classic films. That's what makes them classic. They are irreplaceable and infinitely rewatchable.

I don't dwell on Jar Jar, I just pop in the laserdisc version of Star Wars in all its flawed glory and I am 8 years old again.

- Marty
                            Well-said. I need to obsess less lol. I feel the same way about comic reprints--so glad they're available.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

I'm willing to give it a shot. The Dracula Untold trailer looked interesting, although unconnected to this, or the classic Dracula.

A modern monster rally flick would be flat-out awesome, IF they get the right creatives behind this. I agree Rick Baker needs to be the creative director on these.

Van Helsing had such potential. But it was completely squandered, in my opinion.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎